autofire and AF

Rebar

I am building a character who fires a "buckshot" of blades. If only one target is in the zone, they will get hit multiple times. If anything is in the hex, they will probably get hit too.

I am thinking RKA autofire, and one hex AF. What effect will those two powers have together?

First, you have to pay an extra +1 advantage for AoE autofire attacks. I would say you make one attack roll, and you apply it against the DCV of the primary target, getting one hit plus one per two you make it by, and again against the DCV 3 hex, getting hits against everything.

OCV 12, vs DCV 6 target and two DCV 8 bystanders.

Roll 10. This hits DCV 6 by 7, so you get 4 hits on the main target. It hits DCV 3 by 10, so you get 6 hits on everything in the hex. So the main target gets hit 10 times and the bystanders get hit 6 times.

Edited b/c I misread the post.

OCV 12, vs DCV 6 target and two DCV 8 bystanders.

Roll 10. This hits DCV 6 by 7, so you get 4 hits on the main target. It hits DCV 3 by 10, so you get 6 hits on everything in the hex. So the main target gets hit 10 times and the bystanders get hit 6 times.

OK,

1] AF is max 5 shots in 5E isn't it? 10 is from 4E. I'm so rusty...

2] Why is there an "initial target" that's treated differently than the others? Why wouldn't it be an equal chance against all in the hex, regardless of their individual DCVs?

Originally posted by Rebar

OK,

1] AF is max 5 shots in 5E isn't it? 10 is from 4E. I'm so rusty...

2] Why is there an "initial target" that's treated differently than the others? Why wouldn't it be an equal chance against all in the hex, regardless of their individual DCVs?

+1/2 for 4-5 shots, double that every +1/2 more.

For normal autofire, to fire on multiple targets, basically, you get a -1 OCV per HEX in the lien you're firing. You don't pay more for the first versus the latter targets if firing on multiples.

However, AoE complicates this because when firing on a "single" target, the number of times the target is hit depends on how well you make your attack roll. Of course with AoE, are there single or multiple targets, and how do these merge? Given you said there is no distinction among the targets in the hex, I'd say the autofire is clearly against a "single" target (the hex), and so the number of times you hit the AREA depends on how much you make the attack roll by. Unless you get Selective, everyone is hit. Of course, you may want to modify this for cover, the characters in front "protecting" those in the back - I think this falls more into the "GM and special case" rulings, nothing per se from the book (although 5th edition does have some rules on cover and barriers which would probably be worth perusing).

My plan was merely xD6, autofire +1/2, one-hex +1/2.

My question was referring to how you would resolve the mechanics of hitting targets in that case.

As noted above, the Autofire would cost an additional +1 because of the Area Effect (not a normal attack roll).

Other than that, you can look at it one of two ways...

1. the EASY way: Determine how many shots you will fire (1-5). Roll to hit against DCV 3 to hit the desired hex (or DCV 0 if adjacent). Treat it like a nomral AF attack, if it misses, everything misses, or if it hits, you get an extra hit for every 2 points the attack roll was made by, up to the number of shots fired. Example: You fire 5 shots at a hex 4" away (no range penalty). You have an OCV of 8, giving you a 16- to hit. You roll an 11 and hit 3 times. The remaining 2 shots just miss.

2. the HARD way: Do everything as above, but for every shot that misses, treat it as a missed AoE attack (FREd page 248). This can get messy and I don't recomend it for Autofire AoE attacks. Example: Same as above, but roll a d6 to determine which direction the missed shots go. You roll a 5. The 4th shot hits the hex directly to the left of the target hex and the 5th shots hits the hex 2" over.

Hm. I wonder if it might be more appropriate to just buy it as a larger one hex RKA, but with reduced penetration - i.e. just skip the autofire...

Personally I try to stay away from autofire, it's often the case that simply adding damage best simulates what a player wants in EFFECT, one doesn't have to necessarily buy autofire to represent many strikes in a segment.