Extra Time + Half Endurance

Rapier

Porting some AD&D to Hero for GenCon. Converting some spells and I'm  running into this problem. I've got a Damage Negation (for instance) in a compound power for "Protection from Evil" that normally doesn't cost Endurance. So I add Cost Endurance to Activate, which allows me to take Time Limit (for Duration effects). I'm trying to keep the spells at a reasonable mana pool cost (out of an END Reserve), I like the 2 - 3 price point. But the power is now up at 7 END or so. So I try to change the "Costs Endurance to Activate" to "Costs Half Endurance" but now it's a constant power and Time Limit requires 0 END or Only to Activate.

Damage Negation (-4 DCs Physical, -4 DCs Energy), Usable By Other (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), IIF (Holy Water or Incense; -1/4), Limited Power Only vs Evil (-1/4), Requires A Roll (Magic Skill, -2; -1/4), Costs Half Endurance (-1/4): 17 Real Points

Time Limit is EXACTLY the Advantage I want. I guess what I really need is a "Costs Half End to Activate" option or at least some way to work around to it. Am I missing something? I'd like to avoid wimping the power down to uselessness just to get the END costs down to a reasonable level.

Thanks!

--r

11 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Porting some AD&D to Hero for GenCon. Converting some spells and I'm  running into this problem. I've got a Damage Negation (for instance) in a compound power for "Protection from Evil" that normally doesn't cost Endurance. So I add Cost Endurance to Activate, which allows me to take Time Limit (for Duration effects). I'm trying to keep the spells at a reasonable mana pool cost (out of an END Reserve), I like the 2 - 3 price point. But the power is now up at 7 END or so. So I try to change the "Costs Endurance to Activate" to "Costs Half Endurance" but now it's a constant power and Time Limit requires 0 END or Only to Activate.

Damage Negation (-4 DCs Physical, -4 DCs Energy), Usable By Other (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), IIF (Holy Water or Incense; -1/4), Limited Power Only vs Evil (-1/4), Requires A Roll (Magic Skill, -2; -1/4), Costs Half Endurance (-1/4): 17 Real Points

Time Limit is EXACTLY the Advantage I want. I guess what I really need is a "Costs Half End to Activate" option or at least some way to work around to it. Am I missing something? I'd like to avoid wimping the power down to uselessness just to get the END costs down to a reasonable level.

Thanks!

--r

Have you tried applying both the Costs END only to Activate and the Half END Advantages?

Lucius Alexander

Still getting kicked by a palindromedary

Reduced Endurance is not available, HD tells me that "Reduced Endurance cannot be applied to an ability with the Costs END Limitation." 

EDIT: Which makes kind of sense since one of the options for Reduced Endurance is "Costs 0 END" so you could (in theory) end up with "Costs Endurance" and "Costs 0 Endurance" on the same power.

I seem to recall running across this a thousand years ago and don't recall what ever came of it (or I'm just smoking the good stuff and this never came up before).

In Hero Designer, under "File" under "Preferences" on the "Modifier Intelligence" tab, turn Modifier Intelligence off. Then you can put "Costs END only to Activate" and "Reduced END" on the same Power.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedry admits that it seems counter intuitive to turn Modifier Intelligence off, but in this case you need counter intelligence.

Yep, I figured that this was the case. I know this is an odd build, and that's going to happen trying to shoehorn a mechanic from another game into the framework of Hero. I can always force it by turning off the Modifier Intelligence or even throwing on a Custom Adder and dropping off 20 points (or even editing the text so that 2 DCs appear as 4 DCs. There are plenty of options as a work around, I'm just trying to keep things as kosher as possible since I was planning on posting all of this mess when I was done so no one else EVAAAAAAR has to wrestle with this mess.

As common/simple this concept was in AD&D there are things that Hero is not going to be able to model effectively and I think this is just one of those things. I guess I've resigned myself that Protection from Evil is not going to be something you are going to fire off at the sign of any stray goblin. You are going to save it for the DemiLich and in that case you are going to be very happy to drop the 6 END from your Mana Pool. Honestly, when thinking about it that IS a pretty huge effect you are getting so it probably should cost some END.

Thanks for putting up with my tom foolery. :)