Incarnation Awareness

phoenix240

One of the more peculiar abilities in the old "Ultimate Powers Book" was "Incarnation Awareness". It allowed the character to communicate with their earlier incarnations or lifetimes. Primarily you could ask your earlier selves to do favors for you ("Bury three ounces of gold and a match at this location.") and maybe have the results affect the present. You could also ask your past selves questions, have them do research for you even utilize skills they had but your current self doesn't have. It was a weird, quirky little ability. How would you reflect it in Hero System terms?

Re: Incarnation Awareness

This is probably the closest thing to something like that I have built

10 Far Memory: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (45 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Previous Incarnations (-1/2) 4

Notes: In either secret or heroic identity, Scarab sometimes has glimpses of past incarnations, especially of being a priest of Ra. These can be full fledged "visions" of a past life, or sudden flashes of insight or special knowledge - "This way! The fourth duke built a secret tunnel in case of seige, it may still be there." "I thought you had never been in this castle before?" "Not in this life...."

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary in my next life

Lucius' example is probably the limit of what I would allow in game. The ability to have your "past lives" do something for you can really only be modeled as ExtraDimensional Movement (to the dimension where your past life did this for you) and as it messes with time itself should probably not be a power a PC has (IE its a plot device the GM can use where/how he wishes. Its is WAY too powerful for PC's most of the time)

There are of course plenty of ways to model highly specific aspects of this power if you wanted too. "Create Object" from the APG's could have as its special effect someone in your past life placing it in the appropriate place a long time ago. Extra Time (to dig it up), some form of RaR (to represent the chance that something happened to it during the time it was "waiting" for you to arrive) are both excellent Limitations for a power of this nature.

Here's the power description from MSH:

Incarnation Awareness: You can remember the events of your past lives. Moreover, you can send messages to your past incarnations when they were actually living and receive them from future incarnations (though not vice versa). You can recall and contact one past life (starting with the most recent and moving sequentially backwards) for every 5 points of Intensity.

This is how I did it in Hero 5th:

Past Lives do me Favors: Luck 6d6, Time Delay (+1/4),

Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action,

Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Trigger can expire (has a time limit),

Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +1/4),

Delayed Effect (x4 number active; +3/4) (67 Active Points);

Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4),

Side Effects (Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits: Favors come due, Chits get collected. Time must be spent paying favors forward to next Incarnation.; -3/4),

Can be Negated with Summoning + Skill Roll

Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2),

Requires A PRE Roll (-1/4) Real Cost: 21

Flavor txt: Past incarnations for the android Indep-1 include many good robots, golems, tin men, mechanical soldiers, etc.

Contacts is an interesting way to model the effect. I think I'd require the PC to get some means of communicating with their temporal contacts (Limited Transdimensional Telepathy or Mind Link) and count then as Spirit Contacts. Retrocognition is pretty good too but I think it might model classical "past life flashbacks" more than this particular ability. Luck might represent a less conscious version of this ability: your past selves are aware of your existence and sometimes do stuff for you.

Being occasionally asked to do favors for your future (or even past) selves could be a Disadvantage or just the price of doing business across time like that.

Knowledge Skills: History, professional skills, hobbies, etc. All the stuff your incarnations would know.

Skill Levels (esp. Overall Levels): You really know your sh*t!

Luck, contacts, VPP, Wealth, Charm, Reputation, etc. The SFX of "my incarnations talk to me" is really so broad that you could justify nearly anything with it.

Knowledge Skills: History, professional skills, hobbies, etc. All the stuff your incarnations would know.

Skill Levels (esp. Overall Levels): You really know your sh*t!

Luck, contacts, VPP, Wealth, Charm, Reputation, etc. The SFX of "my incarnations talk to me" is really so broad that you could justify nearly anything with it.

All of this and more in the form of a VPP with limitations that it takes the time to communicate with the previous incarnations and requires a roll of some sort to convince them to assist.

Contacts is an interesting way to model the effect. I think I'd require the PC to get some means of communicating with their temporal contacts (Limited Transdimensional Telepathy or Mind Link) and count then as Spirit Contacts. Retrocognition is pretty good too but I think it might model classical "past life flashbacks" more than this particular ability. Luck might represent a less conscious version of this ability: your past selves are aware of your existence and sometimes do stuff for you.

Being occasionally asked to do favors for your future (or even past) selves could be a Disadvantage or just the price of doing business across time like that.

Seems to me to be the way to go. You've got half a dozen or so NPC's who can sometimes do you favors.