How to stick people to things with entangles?

Crusher Bob

Yes, it does feel more like an adder, rather than a power advantage to me, as the 'main' ability of entangle is to stop the entangled people from doing anything.  It doesn't seem to be often that other people move entangled people around in combat.

So, how's this sound:

1. definition of new term: 'anchoring'

This is an adder for entangles that makes it much more difficult for outside forces to move the 'anchored' target, as long as the entangle still has body.  I'm avoiding the 'adhereing' word, since I can see certain SFX, like space warping entangles, 'anchoring' people to a specific point in space, and not a specific bit of scenery.

When you buy your entangle, decide whether you want your entangle to be a 'loose' or 'anchoring' entangle.  A 'loose' entangle just binds the target, while an 'anchoring' entangle also makes the target more difficult to move.  If your entangle is 'anchoring' choose if your entangle 'anchors' the target to a specific point in space, or to an object or piece of scenery they are touching at the time the entangle goes off.

If you chose an 'anchoring' type entangle:

0 point version: 'breaking anchor also breaks entangle'

As long as the entangle has at least 1 BODY, treat the entangled target as having clinging at a STR equal to the [active points, DC classes, something like that] of the Entangle.  If the target is pulled away from what they are anchored to, or suffers any knockback, the entangle is also broken, even if the entangle did not take any damage.

5 point version: 'Entangle and anchoring separate'

If the anchored target is moved or suffers knockback, they are no longer 'anchored' but the entangle otherwise acts normally

10 point version: 'reanchoring'

If the anchored target is moved or suffers knockback, they become 'reanchored' at their new location, as long as the entangle still has body.

Examples:

0 point anchoring adder

Bubba has an AOE entangle where he turns an area of ground into particularly viscous mud.  If someone hits you hard enough to get you out of the mud, your are no longer entangled by it, even though Bubba bought the 'entangled doesn't take damage (+1/2)' advantage on his entangle.

5 point anchoring adder

Spiderdude can spins webs, just like a spider can.  He wraps Dr. Not-Doom in webs and sticks him to the ceiling.  The Thingy comes along later and pulls Dr. Not-Doom loose from the ceiling.  However, as Dr. Not-Doom is still wrapped in webs, he is still entangled.

10 point anchoring adder

Lock Master Escher can entangle people in weird eddies of space-time. She entangles Halbeard in one.  Mr. Locomotive then does a spectacular move through on Halbeard, knocking him back through several walls and into the bay.  However, as Lock Master Escher bought the 'entangle doesn't take damage (+1/2))' advantage on her entangles, Halbeard is still entangled.  In addition, he is now 'anchored' to his new location at the bottom of the bay.  It's just not Halbeard's day.

And while I am thinking about entangles...

Consider the following situation:

Mr. cheesit has the following power: 2d6 entangle (entangle has 1 BODY (-1/2), entangle has no defense (-1.5), AOE: 1 hex, accurate (+1/2) for) 5 real points.  Sounds like quite a weak power, even a normal person can break out of it with their casual strength.  It' isn't.  You see, when someone is entangled, their DCV immediately drops to 0.

Sample combat:

Combat starts:

In initiative order

Poor sap, "I do something'

Mr. Cheesit, 'I entangle poor sap'

Mr. Cheesit's team mate, "I hit poor sap really hard.  He's DCV 0, and the entangle will only stop a single point of damage.

Poor Sap, 'It hurts and stings'

It can be even worse.

Mr. Cheesit's new power: 2d6 entangle (entangle has 1 BODY (-1/2), entangle has no defense (-1.5), AOE: 16 meter radius (+3/4), personal immunity (+1/4)) for 7 real points.  My Cheesit can now make everyone on the battlefield DCV 0.  But, you say, that also effects Mr/ Cheesit's allies, who are also reduced to DCV 0. HAHAHAHA

Sample combat:

Combat starts:

In initiative order

Cheesit teammate 1: I delay until Mr. Cheesit acts

Poor sap 1, "I do something'

Cheesit teammate 2: I delay until Mr. Cheesit acts

Poor sap 2, "I do something'

Mr. Cheesit, 'I entangle everthing'

Mr. Cheesit's team mate 1, "I break out of the entangle with my casual STR, then I hit poor sap 1 really hard.  He's DCV 0, and the entangle will only stop a single point of damage.

Mr. Cheesit's team mate 2, "I break out of the entangle with my casual STR, then I hit poor sap 2 really hard.  He's DCV 0, and the entangle will only stop a single point of damage.

Poor Saps, "It hurts and stings!"

---------------------

So, i suggest the following rule:

When you get entangled, you get to make an immediate casual STR (or casual EGO, if appropriate) roll to break out of the entangle.  If you succeed at breaking the entangle, you are never reduced to 0 DCV.  This roll doesn't take an action on your part.  This prevents very weak entangles from being a handy way to reduce any target to 0 DCV.

Poor Sap, 'It hurts and stings'