Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#31662 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,937 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

Fine. I'll take it up with Pythagoras. Luckily, I have his (phone) number.
I'm gonna live forever. So far so good.
Ne'er will the light of liberty and wisdom be extinguished

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#31663 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,937 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Ni Nj A

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#31664 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 49,759 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

You are one of the Knights Who Say Ni?
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#31665 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,937 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

No. They are the "elements of stealth".

#31666 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 AM

Thales of Miletus -  Eclipse source texts

May 28th -- Birth of Philosophy & Science Day. Will have to remember for next year. 

"They were still warring with equal success, when it happened, at an encounter which occurred in the sixth year, that during the battle the day was suddenly turned to night. Thales of Miletus had foretold this loss of daylight to the Ionians, fixing it within the year in which the change did indeed happen.1 [3] So when the Lydians and Medes saw the day turned to night, they stopped fighting, and both were the more eager to make peace...Thales died at an advanced age in 548 B.C. "
Herodotus, The Histories (Hdt. 1.74)

"Among the Greeks, Thales the Milesian first investigated the subject, in the fourth year of the forty-eighth olympiad, predicting the eclipse of the sun which took place in the reign of Alyattes, in the 170th year of the City2." Pliny the Elder, The Natural History (CHAP. 9. (12.)—AN ACCOUNT OF THE OBSERVATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ON THE HEAVENS BY DIFFERENT INDIVIDUALS.)

Footnote 2: "An account of this event is given by Herodotus, Clio, § 74. There has been the same kind of discussion among the commentators, respecting the dates in the text, as was noticed above, note 4, p. 29: see the remarks of Brotier and of Marcus in Lemaire and Ajasson, in loco. Astronomers have calculated that the eclipse took place May 28th, 585 B.C.; Brewster, ut supra, pp. 414,419."

• Pariah likes this

#31667 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:00 AM

Suggestion for Pariah: write "May 28th, 585 B.C." on the blackboard/whiteboard and ask the class if anyone knows the significance of the date. Or best guess to what it might be. 

Good, as it is timely with the recent eclipse. 

• Pariah likes this