IHC Truck Identification

Simon

This is an odd one for this site, but we have such an eclectic and varied knowledge base that I figured it's worth a shot.

Recently came into possession of this old beauty:

IMG_1722.JPG

The paperwork that I have on it is decidedly off -- has it as a 1918 International Harvester flatbed truck...along with a serial number that didn't start being used until the 1950s.

It's pretty much all original apart from a few minor things (fuel filter, some wiring, etc.). While we're working on fixing it up, I'm trying to dig up as much information on it as I can...which is where you lot come in.  Anyone have knowledge (or ability to gain said) of early IHC trucks based on serial number?

The serial number that is stamped into the frame is ST23353B.

The research that I've done so far has it as a 1924-1925 IHC Model S Speed Truck...which, handily enough, seems to match the serial prefix. I'm curious how much additional information I can gather on this (in a vain attempt to impress the mechanic that's working on it with me).

I don't know a lot about vehicles. But based on watching TV shows about antiques, when there's a mismatched serial number of some sort, many times it's a Frankenstein object where some earlier owner combined parts of two or more pieces as part of a refurbishing project.

Here's a list of links from a IH fan site which might come in handy either for information or for obtaining parts for a restoration. 

http://restoringcornelius.com/links/

The mismatch in serial numbers is between the paperwork (which has a serial number that appears to have started in the 1950s) and the physical truck, which has a serial number stamped into the steel of the left frame (the one I gave above).

The link to restoring cornelius has great info (went through it previously)...but they only really go back to 1928 with the serial number information.  Close, but not quite there ;)

I should also mention that the paperwork has the date as 1918, but the body style doesn't match IHC trucks from that time (they had a sloping/angled hood)