Buying a Skill as a Power

Lectryk

I'm building a character, and part of the concept is certain skills bought as powers.  I pick a skill to start with (Lockpicking), and part of the concept is that people won't see the character doing the lock intrusion.  I go to Power Modifiers, and Invisible Power Effects isn't listed as a possible Advantage.  Looking at the reason why it's unavailable resulted in this -

image.png.49b167bbfada0c9331026a45fa666dfb.png

The other skills I checked were the same.  Then I looked at 6E1 p124 'Sensing Powers and Special Effects' to verify this, and Skills aren't listed as a type of power that would visible on p126 Obviousness.  I thought if I bought it with a Focus Limitation (one of the sections on 126), then IPE would become available - nope, again.  I skimmed through p283 Skills as Powers, and didn't see anything explicitly in that section they cause effects. 

You built the app using the rules logic and what I've found so far indicates there aren't visible effects on skills as powers.  Since I first started playing Champions up until now, some version of p124 has existed - powers have a mix of visible effects.  I admit my reading might not have been careful enough (it's late for me, and a lot of type was skimmed looking for Visibility wording) - could you tell me what I missed in the rules that excludes skills as powers from this requirement? 

Thanks.

What Greywind said.

General rules for determining default Visibility (evaluated in order, start with Visible = false):

Visible if it is explicitly stated as such in the rules (i.e. the rules template sets Visible to true)

Visible if it has "Based on CON"

Visible if it has Costs END Limitation

Visible if it has the "Visible" Limitation

Not Visible if it has the "Invisible" Advantage

2 hours ago, Lectryk said:

I'm building a character, and part of the concept is certain skills bought as powers.  I pick a skill to start with (Lockpicking), and part of the concept is that people won't see the character doing the lock intrusion.  I go to Power Modifiers, and Invisible Power Effects isn't listed as a possible Advantage. 

I'm not seeing the same problem. I select the Lockpicking skill under the Powers tab, and Invisible Power Effics is listed as available. 

image.thumb.png.51c61b879d376f64db1a4172422641f1.png

26 minutes ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

I'm not seeing the same problem. I select the Lockpicking skill under the Powers tab, and Invisible Power Effics is listed as available. 

That depends on the rules version that you're using (first item in my list, above).  I'm assuming OP is using 5th Edition rules (where IPE checks the current/default Visibility of the ability). The Visibility rules were rounded out a bit under 6th Edition, removing that check for the current Visibility state of the ability (i.e. allowing IPE to be applied to an ability that is not "fully Visible" by default).

[edited for clarity]