Weapon master vs extra MA damage classes

jlc3721

So I've constructed a dwarven street fighting style....going from the assumption that carpenters and masons would use the tools at hand, it has weapon elements for clubs, maces, hammers and fist loads.  An expert in the style takes weapon master for all the weapons and the martial art - 20 pt version for +3DCs.  Now its a lot cheaper to take +3 DCs from martial arts for 4pts / DC, and those three DCs apply +15 STR to disarms, escapes and grabs.  Since the same weapons are weapon elements of the MA, the +3 DCs also apply to the weapons.

So this gets more application for 12 pts than the 20 for weapon master.  Did I make a mistake, or is this just an example of some ways give more efficient results?

Also note if you look at the construction of both they are six 8pt-level CSL's with limitations on them (one being 'only for damage'), so you are looking at a 48pt active cost.

Ok, rechecked - deadly blow is six 8pts-lvls, weapon master is six 3,5, or 8pt-lvls depending. You figure though a 4pt +1DC level is 2 3pt CSL with a -1/2 "only for damage" -- 6 active pts, 4 real.

3 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Also note if you look at the construction of both they are six 8pt-level CSL's with limitations on them (one being 'only for damage'), so you are looking at a 48pt active cost.

Ok, rechecked - deadly blow is six 8pts-lvls, weapon master is six 3,5, or 8pt-lvls depending. You figure though a 4pt +1DC level is 2 3pt CSL with a -1/2 "only for damage" -- 6 active pts, 4 real.

I was thinking about the point structure as well.  I would think the MA DCs have to start from STR as they have the ability to add STR to MA maneuvers.  5 pts of STR bought with a (-1/4 - only usable with martial art maneuvers) comes out to 4 pts a DC.

One thing to consider is that extra DC only apply when you are using a marital maneuver.  Weapon master applies any time you are using an appropriate weapon.  Most of the time you are going to be using your marital maneuvers, but there may be times when you want to use a standard maneuver.