Cleaning TTRPG books

Ragitsu

Good day!

This is a slightly unusual question, but I figure a few members of our fine message board are up to the task of answering :cheers:. For the longest while, I've been meaning to replace the prefabricated bookshelves in my study with custom built bookshelves that include glass/impact resistant plastic doors on each level. Anyhow, I went back in a few days ago and discovered that some rodent got onto the lower shelves (themselves a mere three or so inches off the floor) and scurried along there. I'm not comfortable with dirt in general, but I'd like to salvage these books by what ought to be easy cleaning.

Most of the books are hardcovers for various tabletop roleplaying systems: GURPS, HERO 6th Edition, 3e/3.5e D&D and the like. I figure that some of you here are familiar with the type of material used in these types of covers; from what I am able to recall, they can handle a few droplets of water without being damaged. However, I want to be prepared before I commit to a course of action. Would I damage or discolor the bottom two to three inches of their spines if I were to use a miniscule dot of dish or perhaps antibacterial soap followed by gently wiping with a damp paper towel? Are quality paper towels fine or would they produce visible scratches? Would tissues be a better choice for avoiding superficial marks while also absorbing the soap/moisture?

Probably because they contain alcohol. That seems to be one of the recommendations online for cleaning book covers.

Several decades ago, I had a manager at a deep discount bookstore show me how to clean book covers with a little lighter fluid on a cloth. It worked well in removing glue residue and dirt, without damaging the cover.

50 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Probably because they contain alcohol. That seems to be one of the recommendations online for cleaning book covers.

Several decades ago, I had a manager at a deep discount bookstore show me how to clean book covers with a little lighter fluid on a cloth. It worked well in removing glue residue and dirt, without damaging the cover.

I keep finding variations on a theme: suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol applied to either lint-free cleaning cloths or cotton balls which then wipe the cover. Considering the alcohol evaporates quickly (greatly reducing the risk of moisture damaging the pages near the bottom of the spine) and I'm not dealing with a stain or sticky residue, this option seems best. Thank you, Tjack and Ternaugh.

3 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Because they are softer, more likely to eradicate lingering microorganisms or both?

They are merely moist and I think the alcohol based substance would be less likely to mark up the pages than any amount of water.