March Madness 2022

unclevlad

And....why can't the little guys win consistently?

Local news just reported that NMSU's coach just got hired by Mississippi State.  For, I suspect, a salary 3-5x what he was getting, so ya can't exactly blame him.

Oh.

Correction.  8x, if Miss St is gving him what his predecessor got.  NMSU was paying him $250K...yes, the lowest in D1.  Miss St was paying Ben Howland $2.1M.

Very, very bad day for the Big 10.  First 4 games of the day all had a Big 10 teams...and they went 0-4.  In 2 cases, as the higher seed, including #3 Wisconsin losing to #11 Iowa State.

And now, no one on the ESPN Tournament Challenge has less than 4 misses, with 4 more games left to finish this round.

......and there's nothing left.

The #2 overall seed Arizona just lost to Houston.  

The brackets now look like a platoon of soldiers with Gauss rifles just cleared a forest...practically everything on the ground, or falling over...with *isolated* short stumps upright.

With Duke's win, Coach K picked up his 1200th win overall last game...and 100th in the tournament this game.  For comparison, Roy WIlliams, who's had a superb career also in the era of the expanded tournament field, only won 77.  For comparison...John Wooden only won 46.  But that's because a)  it was a 25 team field for most of his time, and b) it was conference champs ONLY. 

No one's gonna come close to 100 tournament wins in the foreseeable future.  Best chance would be Bill Self;  he's 59, Kansas consistently has a top-tier team.  But he's only got 47 wins.  Calipari has 46, but Kentucky's been inconsistent, and he's also 63.  

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

Well, my bracket is screwed. My championship game prediction was Gonzaga over Arizona.

Gonzaga, you have failed me for the last time.

Ouch.  Yeah, you're done.  So are the VAST!!!!! majority, tho.  Right now, perfect score would be 800.  Best is a 710...but more telling?  510 would get you just outside the top 5%;  500 is still in the top 10%.

Pressure defense is being successful in this round.  Texas Tech had Duke rattled...and I think, 3 weeks ago, would've won that game.  Duke's matured a lot, through some very poor results (like losing Coach K's last home game).  Arizona and Gonzaga...not sure they saw that kind of defense that much.  Saint Mary's did it to the Zags and beat them.  

One other factor:  I think most games are showing a LOT of physical play, and in quite a few there aren't many fouls called.  Duke was rattled early, but recovered;  Gonzaga didn't recover.

For those who are paying less attention...St. Peter's just beat Purdue.  To be the first 15 seed to ever make the Elite 8.  Also means that a pair of double-digit seeds will be in the Elite 8.

Mr. P, don't feel bad.  Picking this tournament has been an exercise in throwing darts.  Blindfolded.

It's beginning to look like Kansas is going to avoid the last round of pulverizing...they were down to Providence with about 7 minutes left, but they're up 7 now.  That would've meant ALL the #1 seeds failed to make the Elite 8.  I think there've been a couple years where none made the Final Four...but the Elite 8 would be pretty stunning.

And now we get what has to be the highest combined seeds in an Elite 8 game...quite possibly by a lot.  #8 vs. #15.  First time ever.  Note that the Miami-Iowa State matchup was 10 vs. 11...still lower.  BTW, that's only the 4th time ever for this.

Not the highest combined in any round.  That's been the second round...15 vs. 10 (5 times), 14 vs. 11 (6 times), 13 vs. 12 (12 times!) and one case of 16 vs. 9.  14 vs. 10 once...has to be the sweet 16.

Elite 8 starting seeds:  1, 2, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10 or 11, 15.

Yeah, completely crazy tournament.

Ok...........  Time for some amazing Final Four drama.

With Duke's win, the potential exists for Duke vs. North Carolina.  You'd go deja vu......but it would be the first time ever, in the tournament.  That's less of a surprise than you might think at first glance, if you just think of the number of appearances each has made in the last 20-odd years.  It's very likely they'd be in different regions in most years.

And the media will love it.

Now, of course, if it's not...then it's a #15 St. Peters claiming the Cinderella Run For the Ages Award.  

On the other side...nothing against Kansas;  I like Bill Self's style quite a bit.  But hey, why not a second double-digit seen in the Final Four?  Come on, a #15 seed against a #10 seed to play for the title.  It would fit.....