Spreading strength in 5e

g3taso

3 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Why must Beam be used at full strength? It seems to me that a different effect has been folded into the Limitation needlessly.

I would say rather, that it is included to get a -1/4 limitation because the remaining restrictions are not sufficient to warrant a -1/4 limitation.

Beam was probably a not the ideal choice for the name.   What beam really is intended to simulate is something like a gun or similar weapon.   I am not sure what a better name would be so I really cannot blame them for using beam.

If I have a flame thrower, I can widen the stream or even use a sweeping motion to explain what his happening when I spread it.  I can also adjust the flow on fuel, so it does less damage.   When I damage something the flame mushrooms out and affects a large area therefore opening a “large” hole.  Beam is probably not an appropriate limitation on a flamethrower.

What possible explanation do I have for a bullet doing these things?  Without firing more bullets there is no way to spread the attack.  Firing more bullets is the advantage auto fire.  When you fire a bullet, you cannot make the bullet go slower to do less damage?  Bullets do their damage by concentrating the kinetic force in a relatively small area. 

The Body of an item is how much damage it can take before it is broken, not how much damage it takes to destroy it.  To destroy and item you need to do twice the listed body.  Destroying an item is the equivalent of killing a creature.  In both cases the target is killed/destroyed when it reaches negative of its positive body.   When a large caliber gun blows something apart that is because it did enough body to destroy the object, not because it broke the object.