Tropes for Magical Girls and Masters of the Universe

DShomshak

Princess Moonray had her first adventure as part of the Avant Guard super-team. There hasn't been more because that's now a fill-in campaign if it's not possible to run either of two D&D campaigns. (Though I hope we can promote AG back to a running campaign once one of the D&D campaigns wraps up.) The other PCs heard her story but I didn't hit them with the full weirdness of the Magical Moon Realm just yet -- I'll bring that in next adventure.

Princess Moonray played well and was effective, which is no surprise because the player is hands down our best design mechanic. Of the other PCs, Night Train was boggled but Anunit, Daughter of Tiamat, accepted it with equanimity. When your mother is the Queen of Chaos, very little seems unbelievable.

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...

I don't recall if I mentioned this before... When watching Sailor Moon, I realized that in anime one can haymaker magic. Sailor Moon doesn't actually seem to do this with the activation sequence for her smash-the-daemon Heart Staff attack -- it could just be that it takes Extra Time to activate -- but it reminded me of Lina Inverse in some episodes of the Slayers that I saw many years ago. When Lina casts her Dragon Slave spell, she can sometimes do an extra-long "I pledge myself to the darkness" incantation to upgrade it to an extra-super-kaboomy Giga Slave blast!

So Moonray's enemy Princess Shadira will have this. When she needs to make her Dark Sorcery extra powerful, she intones something like, "Eternal Night, who was here before all things and shall endure after their end, I have given myself to you! Now give yourself to me!! Baleful Black Bolt!!!" And since it sucks to go through all this and miss 'cause the delayed segment gives opponents a chance to Dodge, she has Skill Levels just with Haymakered spells. And maybe a special Presence Attack while Darkness boils around her and an updraft of magic lifts and waves her hair, so everybody stands and gapes like idiots instead of sucker punching her before she can cast the spell...

Dean Shomshak