Double-Jumps?

Fenixcrest

I want to try and make a character with a bloody huge leaping score, who is able to double-jump. She's a martial artist/fire elemental (lots of energy HA's/HKA's). In addition to this, she's very agile. One of her abilities is the power to jump really high, and then her next phase (before she lands), she jumps again. So far, the best way I can think of this is as follows:

She has a vertical leap of 30", and a SPD 4.

Double Jump: Flying 30"(60pts). 60 Active Points. Linked to Leaping (-1/2). Only usable once per Leap (-1/2). Requires Acrobatics and Fire Tricks skill rolls (-3/4). 22 Total Points.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for any input. :)

Yeah, the NCM Leaping could work..

Mostly it's like an aerial attack mode. She can't really fly, but she uses the second leap to prep herself for either a high-speed aerial Move Through or to get herself to otherwise inaccessible places. Because of her higher control in this stage of her leap, I think flying makes more sense.

I really like that NCM idea, though. I might use that for her henchmen...

Hmmm...

Reasonably, with a Double-Jump, one should be able to change direction via the second jump (an ability many video-game characters posses). The best way to do that would be via Flight with a limitation that only allows 1 change of direction during the flight (Half move, change direction, Half-move again)

Or with a technically illegal power construction, two Leaping powers linked together. The second leaping power should be linked so that its optional to use, not required. Thus the character can leap once and be done with it, or leap twice if necessary. Again, I believe this is technichally illegal (not possitive. Might wanna ask Steve) but if it works mechanically and isn't unbalanced, who cares, right?

Wow, thanks for all the response. You guys have some great ideas. :D

Originally posted by Snarf

Another way is to make some sort of power that briefly creates a surface you can leap off of in midair. That way you could legally "land" and change direction with normal leaping. I'm not sure what power could do something like that though.

I thought about using that one briefly, but then I realized it would require a really weird construct.. You can't use Force Wall because Force Wall has zero STR. Summon could work, but that's still sort of weird (Summon 5-point block o' whathaveyou). The most logical way to do that would be to make a small, weak entangle barrier with flying linked to it so it would float, and some kind of time-release self destruct. It works, but it's kind of awkward.

...Not to say it's a bad idea. That's basically what happens in my version of cyberspace when anybody moves. If you move in a non-flight, non-gliding mode of transportation, solid hexes form under your feet in your inch-space, but that's not built on points. It just happens. They vanish after about a minute, since their original transmitter (the character) is no longer there. It's just plain awkward to build on points for "physical world" use, though. ^^;;

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Fenixcrest

Wow, thanks for all the response. You guys have some great ideas. :D

I thought about using that one briefly, but then I realized it would require a really weird construct.. You can't use Force Wall because Force Wall has zero STR. Summon could work, but that's still sort of weird (Summon 5-point block o' whathaveyou). The most logical way to do that would be to make a small, weak entangle barrier with flying linked to it so it would float, and some kind of time-release self destruct. It works, but it's kind of awkward.

...Not to say it's a bad idea. That's basically what happens in my version of cyberspace when anybody moves. If you move in a non-flight, non-gliding mode of transportation, solid hexes form under your feet in your inch-space, but that's not built on points. It just happens. They vanish after about a minute, since their original transmitter (the character) is no longer there. It's just plain awkward to build on points for "physical world" use, though. ^^;;

True, Force Wall has 0 STR.. but so does a normal surface. The 0 STR is for pushing, not landing on. Force Walls are solid unless someone really heavy/really fast lands on them.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

With leap you can already make 1 full distance leap in a straight line or 2 Half moves, changing direction in the middle. You can do this in conjunction w/ a Move By or Move Thru or other FMove manuever.

Right, but you'd still have to land on something in order to change direction. FREd states that it's impossible to switch direction mid-leap. It'd be half-leap, land, half-leap. I'm looking to create a way to do it in mid-air. Normally I'd just do what you're saying, and fudge the rules to make it fit (it's an NPC), but I figure it's best to do a write-up in case our resident speedster wants to emulate it. He sometimes does that when he spots a power he can replicate through agility.

I think I'll prolly go with my original idea. Thanks for the input, though, everybody. :) This has been a cool discussion.

Originally posted by Fenixcrest

Right, but you'd still have to land on something in order to change direction. FREd states that it's impossible to switch direction mid-leap. It'd be half-leap, land, half-leap. I'm looking to create a way to do it in mid-air. Normally I'd just do what you're saying, and fudge the rules to make it fit (it's an NPC), but I figure it's best to do a write-up in case our resident speedster wants to emulate it. He sometimes does that when he spots a power he can replicate through agility.

I think I'll prolly go with my original idea. Thanks for the input, though, everybody. :) This has been a cool discussion.

Allow an Acrobatics roll, with an appropriate penalty?