College Football 2023-2024

Pariah

Understand something here.

The AAU being discussed is the Association of American Universities.  They were booted for several factors.  
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/governance/executive-leadership/2023/08/15/cast-out-12-years-ago-nebraska-seeks-return-aau

The Big Ten's frequently tried to sell itself as a conference of premier schools, and this would be part of it.

If push comes to shove...it probably won't...I suspect the AAU membership rule would be dropped, if they *really* wanted a particular university.

The story right below that is also interesting.  It discusses the next round of realignment...with the collapse of the ACC.  

According to longtime college football radio host Greg Swaim, the Big 12 will want Louisville, NC State, VA Tech, and either Pitt or GA Tech once the ACC collapses -- with that scenario taking place after the SEC takes FSU and Clemson and the Big Ten takes UNC and UVA.

"Sources tonight tell us that Clemson and FSU to the SEC, with AAU accredited schools UNC and UVA to the Big Ten," Swaim prefaced before saying, "After this the ACC becomes untenable, as the media revenue after losing those schools will be similar to the Pac-12 after losing USC and UCLA.

I'll argue...they might skip this.  If FSU and Clemson show they're really ready to bolt, then...forget it, let's just form the Super League and flip the bird at the NCAA.  Why bother with the intermediate step?  (Well, OK, there may well be reasons.  It's possible there'd be a few years of 3 real conferences and a horde of munchkins, but I see no way it'd remain any longer than it'd take to work out the TV deals.

New rules announced.

--wireless communications, finally.  1 designated player on each team will have it.  Comms cut off at the 15 second mark, or at the snap.

--use of tablets to watch replays from the game broadcast.

--two minute warning like the NFL.  They're still stopping the clock after first downs inbounds, so protecting a lead will, if anything, get a smidge tougher.  It'll be a media timeout, but it won't add another.  The total number won't change.  Hopefully, the case where there's a score...timeout...kickoff...another timeout...are expected to be reduced.  YAY!  

EDIT:  oh yeah, and onfield...ESPN is saying that horse collar tackles inside the tackle box will now result in a 15 yard penalty.  I don't recall seeing one, but...horse collar tackles are bad news, so I'm good with it.

What about the proposal that B1G and $EC teams get one additional player on the field when playing teams from lesser conferences? Did that one go through or not? I don't remember.