Selecting a Skill or Characteristic for "Requires A Roll" limitation

techogre

Using HERO Designer build 20230715.

When selecting the "Requires A Roll" (RAR) limitation, and selecting a Skill Roll or Characteristic Roll, how can I specify the Skill or Characteristic to use? I know I can just make a note and do the calculation, but it would be nice to auto-calculate the resulting roll required based on Active Points and the Skill/Characteristic it is based on. I'm also thinking of the upcoming Foundry HERO module and having that information in the character file for automation.

Thanks!

Beyond replacing "Characteristic roll" with "INT roll" (or whatever), there's not going to be much you can do within HD.  HD is designed to adhere to the HERO System rules, which don't necessarily lend themselves well to deterministic systems like Foundry (without modification).  

Ah. So adding a dropbox with a list of the characteristics (if they're using a characteristic roll)  or the current list of purchased skills (for a skill based roll) is out of scope. Got it. 

Thanks for the reply.

I'll suggest to the Foundry developers they add something of that nature when creating or importing character files.

The original plan/design for that dialog included that, but there's nothing in the rules preventing you from purchasing RAR with a Skill (or Characteristic) that the character doesn't have (and some builds which require exactly that) so it ended up as you see it now.  The flexibility of the system is going to often get in the way of the more deterministic systems needed for programmatic interpretation of characters/abilities.

It's also not needed that badly.

The Option line is fully editable so you can do it yourself.  Most of the drop-down lists are combo boxes...therefore, editable.  IPE...list the senses.  Penalty skill levels...from what?  (5E version has a separate drop-down, 6E doesn't.)

image.thumb.png.b47e68a7369e26617b48c0558c657044.png

If you change the option...like, to easy or hard skill roll...you'll wipe out the edit.  Ok, then edit the Display string.  Make it, say, RAR (Acrobatics).