Custom Tech Scale

Darkhope

Hey everyone, looking for some feedback. For my game this progression makes a lot of sense but still interested in hearing some feedback. I don't like the one in the book going only to 10. There isn't enough examples and not enough diversity. The book recommends a -3 to rolls for every tech level you are short. I use -2 because the list is much larger going to 20. I only use 3 examples of tech in each level range for simplicity. If my players ask about something not on the list, I just assign what tech level it would be around. Each example has a range. For example, particle beams at 11.1 - 12 is just the beginning, could easily have tech level 18 particle beams. Also, theoretical understanding of a topic begins 1-2 levels below where it lies on the list. Currently I'de put the tech of our Earth in the 4 - 6 range.  I can't think of one more example for the last tech level though, 19.1 - 20. My brain isn't working. Any insights or recommendations of super powerful tech would be wonderful from you guys. 

• 0             No technology
  • 0.1 - 1     Animal Power, Fire, Stone tools
  • 1.1 - 2     Wind Power, Clockwork Mechanics, Gunpowder
  • 2.1 - 3     Steam Power, Railroads, Wired Communication
  • 3.1 - 4     Electric Power, Internal Combustion, Aircraft
  • 4.1 - 5     Atomic Power, Orbital Spacecraft, Aircraft
  • 5.1 - 6     Laser Weapons, Genetic Manipulation, Quantum Computing
  • 6.1 - 7     Fusion Power, Cloning, nanotechnology
  • 7.1 - 8     Hyperdrive, Quantum Mechanics, Plasma Weapons
  • 8.1 - 9     Artificial Intelligence, Force Field Physics, Cloaking Fields
  • 9.1 - 10    Antimatter Power, Ion Cannons, Teleportation
  • 10.1 - 11   Psionic Engineering, Climate Control, Negative Mass Generator
  • 11.1 - 12   Particle Beams, Matter Replication, gravity Drive
  • 12.1 - 13   Zero Point Energy, Terraforming, Solid State Shields
  • 13.1 - 14   Bio-organic Engineering, Size & Density Physics, Temporal Mechanics
  • 14.1 - 15   Singularity Reactor, Phase Shielding, Anti-Grav Technologies
  • 15.1 - 16   Jump Drives, Pulse Cannons, Planetary Engineering
  • 16.1 - 17   Time Travel, Ascension Programming, Phase Weapons
  • 17.1 - 18    Dimensional Engineering, Dark Reactor, Genesis Physics
  • 18.1 - 19   Star Drive, Dark Energy Weapons, Null Technology
  • 19.1 - 20   Neutronium Harvesting, Photonic Engineering

Also, if anyone wants to use mine for their games feel free. And if you have any questions on where I'de put other tech I'd be happy to answer!

Traveller had a  slightly more detailed  tech level system, with several categories. (This also shows why people used to run Westerns using Traveller rules). their speculation on the future might be a little off, as the first iteration of this was in 1977, but it has been massaged a little in subsequent editions. This is the framework most of the older gamers remember, and what Star Hero borrowed from.

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Tech_Level_Comparison_Chart

Heh. The last time I looked at Traveller (almost 40 years ago, ye gods) the Tech Level table was a lot simpler. I see they also moved beyond the obsession with fitting everything into a hexadecimal scale.

Naturally, I could not resist designing societies that broke their crude scales of what must associate with what, such as my steam-tech belters, or nomads that carried universal-assembler microfactories on the backs of their camels. :rolleyes: (Though these were cases where interstellar colonists started out with a full suite of technology but couldn't, or didn't want to, maintain all of it.)

My only comment on the posted scale is: Decimal points?

Dean Shomshak

9 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Heh. The last time I looked at Traveller (almost 40 years ago, ye gods) the Tech Level table was a lot simpler. I see they also moved beyond the obsession with fitting everything into a hexadecimal scale.

Naturally, I could not resist designing societies that broke their crude scales of what must associate with what, such as my steam-tech belters, or nomads that carried universal-assembler microfactories on the backs of their camels. :rolleyes: (Though these were cases where interstellar colonists started out with a full suite of technology but couldn't, or didn't want to, maintain all of it.)

My only comment on the posted scale is: Decimal points?

Dean Shomshak

Each tech level is supposed to be a pretty big jump. So, if someone has a 6.7 tech level for example they can slowly, very slowly, move it up decimal point by decimal point. Also, some technology comes a little easier than others but still fit on the same level. For instance, Atomic Power and Orbital Spacecraft, tech level 4.1 - 5 on the scale above. Atomic power came along in the 40's but orbital spacecraft was later in the 60's. Both similar in complexity and technology but many advancements had to be made to get to orbital spacecraft. So, I use a decimal system to differentiate the difference in tech on the same level. Players can spend 1 character point to move up their tech level by 0.1 if they "qualify." Or they can wait until I move it up based on their actions over time in game. Also, since each level is supposed to be a significant jump, I want the players to see their progression through the tech levels rather than waiting FOREVER to see a jump. 

1 hour ago, DentArthurDent said:

Darkhope, your list seems to mesh well with the existing Traveller list. Your list has some interesting techs, like “Size & Density Physics.” Is that for Shrink ray technology?

Thanks, I think. Not very familiar with it and when I looked at the link above, I didn't like it that much. Seemed too repetitive. (Major Terraforming, Complex Terraforming, Global Terraforming, Total Terraforming for example. I'd rather just put it once at a level and of course the higher tech level you are, the better you are in that field. Terraforming on my list starts in the 12 - 13 range, but a tech level 18 race is doing some badass terraforming that a tech level 12 race can only dream of.)  I do see the benefit of organizing tech levels for each field separately, but I didn't feel the need to go that detailed. Just kept it an overall list for ease and simplicity for my players. Exactly that. Honestly, it's the most rubber science I can think of and should probably be much higher on the list, but we have Antman, so can't be that far out of reach for the players. This is why I put it a little low.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I love hearing input and learning. So I appreciate it very much!

Edited by Darkhope