Gemini Introduction

sentry0

Hey all, I will shed some light on Gemini for people to understand it.

Gemini is my passion project that I’ve been picking away at for a few years now.  It started as a Rifts conversion to OpenD6 that I ran for fun a few years ago.  During that playtest, I realized that the ‘Special Abilities’ system in OpenD6 was a little anemic in some regards (and super overpowered in others).  My perspective was mainly influenced by my years of playing Hero.  I liked much of the speed and simplicity of OpenD6, and I knew I wanted to merge the two somehow.

That led me down the path to something called Chimera.  Chimera was just something I did for my friends.  At one point, I got some feedback from outside my circle of friends via Reddit, and I threw together a basic website for it to keep interested parties in the know.

I built apps for character building and playing the game locally because I’m a software dev, and I could.  COVID hit, and we couldn’t play in person anymore, so I built out Roll20 support via the apps by allowing you to export the characters you build in the apps directly into a Roll20 game via an importer script I wrote.  I also customized the Wild Die API script and created my character sheets for Roll20 for Chimera.

As the rules evolved and stabilized, I wanted to see if there was a way to publish the rules.  My main concern was that some critical concepts were burrowed from Hero. Since OpenD6 is OGL and Hero is not, it made sense to approach DoJ first.  Luckily, Jason Walters was receptive to the idea, so we ended up negotiating a deal to bring Chimera to print.  As we worked through the details, it was decided to retire the name Chimera, and instead, we picked Gemini as the name.

And here we are.

There’s been a Patreon earlier this year, and I have recently resurrected this project.  Some typos and misprints in the reviewed document need to be corrected.  I also just want to remove some rules and streamline things even further. 

Recently, I returned to Reddit to the OpenD6 subreddit, which is small but the best source I could find for feedback from that side of Gemini.

I’ll offer this community the same access to the apps and Roll20 support that I gave to the OpenD6 community.  I have the book available for consumption and can get you into the Alpha test for the apps (Android and Apple).

Have a look at this video for a high-level overview of the app - https://youtu.be/mgf_bst7-qk

I have compiled a 4-page document that includes the introductory chapter, which you can view here.

Gemini-Studio-home.png

I created a video about what it's like to build a power in Gemini.  

I used Gemini Studio to build the power as it's the easiest way to build.  The app is in alpha right now for Android and iOS.  If you are interested in joining send me a message with your email and target device, and I'll add you to the appropriate alpha.

• 3 weeks later...

I created a high-level overview video for Gemini.  Unlike my previous overview video, I go more into what Gemini is like from a macro level.  I discuss character Creation Points and review some foundational concepts, such as paying for abilities with points and what Attributes are. I go through an in-depth example of building a power in Gemini as well.

This video is really aimed at people who know nothing about the game but may be curious.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a bit since the last video.  A lot has changed in the Gemini Studio app in a month.  I have received some good feedback and made some changes to the app based on said feedback.

Have a look at this video for some of the high level features that were added.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Feel free to leave a constructive comment.

Gemini_Power_Overview.pdf 750.02 kB · 2 downloads

I don't know if this os the sort od thing you are looking for, but one thing that has bugged me in Champions since 1e is that we can buy attacks (HKA, H-t-H--  edition dependant as to appearance and pricing) and those same powers exist as a separate listing as "Energy Blast," RKA, etc.

Yet "Range" exists as a modifier that can be applied to non-ranged powers.

Why is there not just "deal damage" where dice of damage are bought and then the "Ranged" element bought to the desired degree of range?

I hope that is something worth pondering, anyway.

7 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I don't know if this os the sort od thing you are looking for, but one thing that has bugged me in Champions since 1e is that we can buy attacks (HKA, H-t-H--  edition dependant as to appearance and pricing) and those same powers exist as a separate listing as "Energy Blast," RKA, etc.

Yet "Range" exists as a modifier that can be applied to non-ranged powers.

Why is there not just "deal damage" where dice of damage are bought and then the "Ranged" element bought to the desired degree of range?

I hope that is something worth pondering, anyway.

I know what you mean. You could break things down even more in some cases. I can't speak for Hero, but I can speak for Gemini. One reason to keep them separate is that the base damage calculations differ between a ranged and melee attack. Melee attacks add strength damage, but ranged do not, which means you should expect balancing issues as melee attacks get a 'head-start' on the damage dice. Keeping them separate in Gemini makes sense because Gemini doesn't have the same sophistication regarding the math side of things compared to Hero.

Here are the two powers that do damage in Gemini. The 'Attack, Melee' baseline effect starts at +1 pip, while the 'Attack, Range' baseline effect starts at 4D.   It seems weird initially, but it makes sense once you factor in the character's strength dice.

image.png.4c1ba3c4757ca6516cda189e240ad094.png image.thumb.png.40f30ed6936d9bd03041b38abca9dd72.png

The other consideration is that the more abstract you make something, the more work you have to do to get it working. Pointing to a concrete power and saying 'use that' to a player is more accessible than saying, 'Start here, then apply x, y, and don't forget to factor in z.'

FYI - As a point of interest, Gemini omits Knockback on base attacks, but it is an Enhancement, which I think is more in the spirit of what you are saying. 

Here is a draft of the first page of the character creation chapter.  The purpose here is to give a high-level overview of character building without being bogged down by game terms.  It's supposed to be a soft entry into a 5-9 step process, depending on what you need to buy to meet your concept.

GeminiCharacterCreation-bg.thumb.png.551981f05a63d540c4e4a5c6263360aa.png

• 2 weeks later...