Games of FEAR

Gauntlet

On 9/25/2023 at 3:05 PM, Gauntlet said:

Whan any of you do run a fear based game, do any of you try to setup the gaming area for it? Such as diming the lights, not allowing laptops, strange music, etc..

I did this a lot more when I was younger. I do have a Pandora channel crafted for horror mood music and another one for fantasy. Now when I dim the lights I can't read the adventure. 

2 hours ago, Khymeria said:

I did this a lot more when I was younger. I do have a Pandora channel crafted for horror mood music and another one for fantasy. Now when I dim the lights I can't read the adventure. 

You could just allow the only real light be on what you are reading. It would allow you to see what you are reading and the light would put that strange creepy shadow on your face.

Here's something I have in the works. I have an interim shrine for the statue, but I'm designing a better one. I also will change the scale for the characters. Since this miniature is 28 mm scale, the characters will be represented by 1:72 (around 22 mm) scale figures.

https://flic.kr/p/2p2gT82

https://flic.kr/p/2p2bLWB

22 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

You could just allow the only real light be on what you are reading. It would allow you to see what you are reading and the light would put that strange creepy shadow on your face.

Good idea, if I am trying to create an atmosphere of fear, my face will get the job done. It's why I use a screen usually. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 8:19 AM, tkdguy said:

Here's something I have in the works. I have an interim shrine for the statue, but I'm designing a better one. I also will change the scale for the characters. Since this miniature is 28 mm scale, the characters will be represented by 1:72 (around 22 mm) scale figures.

https://flic.kr/p/2p2gT82

https://flic.kr/p/2p2bLWB

Those are extremely cool. Do you do figures for others for fees?

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Thanks for the compliment. My painting skills are decent but not professional level, so I'm not comfortable charging money.

You may be surprised, at the store near me they have ones painted for sale, and most of them are garbage compared to yours.

I see Anopheles and Delta Green have both been mentioned (and Call of Cthulhu kind of goes without mentioning) so I'll just add that I found both Kult and Whispering Vault pretty horrifying in related but different (almost opposite) ways.  Both of them explore the world not being at all what we think it is, and the same goes for the PCs.  WV is more explicitly strange from word one - your character is arguably a monster (or at least seriously inhuman) to start with, and you understand more about the true nature of things - but Kult's slower revelation of in-game truths is even more terrifying for its slow burn.

On 11/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, tkdguy said:

My painting skills are decent but not professional level, so I'm not comfortable charging money.

As a mostly-lapsed (since COVID) mercenary minis painter my advice is that if someone is offering to pay you to paint, at least consider giving it a shot.  That's how I got into it, and it provided a very solid secondary income for over a decade.  You never know if it's going to be a thing you enjoy doing until you try, and if nothing else it's a chance to practice on figs you didn't have to pay for.  Pretty sure every minis painter that ever lived thinks their work is much worse than it actually is, and if the customer's happy with the outcome that's what really counts. 

Lot worse ways to get paid for a hobby. :)