Transforming Stars Question

Cloppy Clip

The Questions forum is for 6e, and this is based on a 5e Star Hero book so I hope this thread is in the right place. If not then I'd be grateful if it could be moved to where it needs to be.

In Scourges of the Galaxy (page 66), the Lord Vorpal's Snicker-Snack is statted as a Major Transform with a standard effect of 105 points, enough to transform a 104-BODY star into a black hole. But normally Transform needs to total twice the BODY of the target to take effect, and the Snicker-Snack has the All Or Nothing limitation so it needs to do this in one shot.

Is there a rule somewhere in 5e that says objects only need to take their full BODY, and not twice, to be transformed or is this an error?

I have never seen any such rule. It's always been twice the BODY to Transform anything.

I haven't seen Scourges of the Galaxy, so I can't comment much on the specific example. But from my experience writing game supplements, I can say that writers do experience brain farts now and then, or one part of a text gets changed in revising a draft and other parts don't, creating contradictions or errors.

Dean Shomshak

Thank you for clearing that up, and this is the joy of exponential growth, Duke. It does create some oddities when rolling dice, since +1 BODY is supposed to double mass, which means a bad roll on 4d6 might only be enough to break a TV while a high roll sees you toppling the Statue of Liberty! All ostensibly from the same attack fired at the same setting, but I think you have to accept things like this sometimes if you want a game that can model Superman and Batman on the same scale.

Or, of course, you could just roll with it and decide that every star is hollow and suspiciously easy to destroy. After all, what's more true to comics than a bad sense of scale for space stuff?

For my amusement...

Density of the Sun: 1.41 g/cm3

Density of dirt: 1.1 - 1.6 g/cm3

This is reasonably close, so let's just say they're the same density. So an equal volume of dirt and the sun weigh about the same.

Volume of the Sun: 1.4 x 1027cubic meters ≈ 1 cubic meter * 290

6E2 p171: 1 m3 of dirt = 10 BODY

6E2 p173: Each doubling of mass is +1 BODY

So 90 doublings = +90 BODY

Therefore, the BODY of the Sun ≈ 100 BODY

Doug

It's left as an exercise to the reader to calculate the mass of a frictionless spherical cow