Leaping language...

I'm updating my velocity calculator to use the special timing rules for Leap.  From 6E1 243:

The Leap’s duration in Phases equals the number of Noncombat doublings: every doubling adds a Phase to the duration of the Leap; the character can take no Actions during this time.

These are actually inconsistent statements.  A normal maximum-distance leap is a full move, and thus takes a full phase.  With 1 NCM, the freebie, the first part says it takes 1 phase.  But the second part says it should take 2.  The example gives 4 purchased NCMs for x32, and such a leap takes 5 phases.  This is consistent with the first section.

The "every doubling" clause is redundant, as well.  

I am uncomfortable about the taking no actions during this time.  I like the idea of a character leaping across a chasm while firing at opponents, this rule would prevent that.  I can accept that actions might be limited and may be harder, but being able to do nothing while soaring through the air feels wrong.

I share your confusion about the statements.  I think I would have the additional time for non-combat doubling be a suggested limitation for colour, possibly the second clause should say, every additional (or purchased) doubling purchased adds a phase, that makes it a reiteration of the first clause.

It seems to me the extra time should be in segments not phases.  Unlike other movements a leap cannot be altered while in progress, so characters SPD should not affect the velocity.  As it is a character with a lower SPD is traveling at a much slower real velocity than that of a higher SPD.  A leaping character also only pays END in the phase they start the leap.  If that is the case why should a lower SPD character take longer to make the leap?  They are exerting the same amount of effort.  On other movement a higher SPD translates into covering more distance but costs more END.  That is not the case with leap.  

6 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I am uncomfortable about the taking no actions during this time.  I like the idea of a character leaping across a chasm while firing at opponents, this rule would prevent that.  I can accept that actions might be limited and may be harder, but being able to do nothing while soaring through the air feels wrong.

I share your confusion about the statements.  I think I would have the additional time for non-combat doubling be a suggested limitation for colour, possibly the second clause should say, every additional (or purchased) doubling purchased adds a phase, that makes it a reiteration of the first clause.

I don't like that "take no actions" either.  It feels unnecessarily punitive.  You're at 0 OCV and 1/2 DCV throughout.  

The second clause is a reiteration now...just phrased incorrectly.  The first clause is simple and clear.  Just strike the second.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

It seems to me the extra time should be in segments not phases.  Unlike other movements a leap cannot be altered while in progress, so characters SPD should not affect the velocity.  As it is a character with a lower SPD is traveling at a much slower real velocity than that of a higher SPD.  A leaping character also only pays END in the phase they start the leap.  If that is the case why should a lower SPD character take longer to make the leap?  They are exerting the same amount of effort.  On other movement a higher SPD translates into covering more distance but costs more END.  That is not the case with leap.  

And defining it in segments has an additional advantage.  Right now, a full combat leap, and a leap using the base NCM, both take the same time...which feels wrong.  So, the language can be "The Leap requires one extra segment per doubling used.  The landing occurs at the end of the segment.

Example:  Grasshopper has SPD 5 and 20 meters of Leap and spent 15 points for 3 additional doublings.  Grasshopper Leaps on his phase in segment 3.  He lands on segment

-- 3, if not using any doublings

-- 4, if using 1 doubling

-- 5, if using 2 doublings, etc.

Grasshopper can't abort the leap while in the air.  If he's still leaping on segment 4, it's a new segment, and he can abort.  If the leap continues to segment 5, Grasshopper gains a new phase and can take actions."

Or something like that.  I'd suggest it was written as phases because movement's in phases.  What's the position of a flyer or runner in those segments between phases?  Especially with an erratic SPD like 5, where the # of segments between phases is not consistent?  The answer's not exactly hard...determine movement per segment, which is just

total non-combat movement == (combat meters used) x (non-combat factor)

For running and flight, this is then meters per phase.  Meters per turn is meters per phase times SPD, and meters per segment is simply meters per turn / 12.

Shorthand:  it's TCM * SPD / 12.

For leap, start with the total non-combat movement as above.  But you may not be able to repeat the move at your full SPD;  the leap can take longer.

So instead of TCM * SPD / 12, it's TCM * (MINIMUM of SPD and 12/Duration) / 12, where Duration is the number of segments to complete the leap.  12/Duration is the "effective SPD" to repeat the leaps.  This generally won't come into play unless SPD is quite low.