buying down CON on automations

On 3/20/2024 at 8:01 AM, LoneWolf said:

Some of the life support is probably necessary.  The same necromancy that summons the skeleton has a spell that ages the target.  That type of spell is fairly common with necromancy.  Immunity to pressure also covers the effects of different environments like high altitude or deep underwater.  There are also spells that can duplicate those.  Radiation is probably not needed, but some underground settings do include strange radiation.  The radiation might be magic based instead of scientific but could still exist.  

One reason you may not need life support for an undead creature is what the Transform changes. If it is human to flower, then it would not affect a skeleton as, although it may be a "human" skeleton, it is not actually a human, it is an undead and they are not the same thing. The same would be true for a spell that transforms undead would not affect a human.

Now this does not state that life support is not something that would be a good idea for a skeleton, just a random point. Should an animated skeleton have an immunity to ageing? Definitely yes, as I can't see it having problems with age; but at the same time I can see people thinking "What's the point, it's not like they are going to be in the game for a long period of time". 

The life support is not to protect it vs transformation, but other attacks.   Many of the attacks are going to be built as change environment or other powers doing more than just straight damage.   An attack designed to age could be built using a drain or other power. 

5 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

One reason you may not need life support for an undead creature is what the Transform changes. If it is human to flower, then it would not affect a skeleton as, although it may be a "human" skeleton, it is not actually a human, it is an undead and they are not the same thing. The same would be true for a spell that transforms undead would not affect a human.

Now this does not state that life support is not something that would be a good idea for a skeleton, just a random point. Should an animated skeleton have an immunity to ageing? Definitely yes, as I can't see it having problems with age; but at the same time I can see people thinking "What's the point, it's not like they are going to be in the game for a long period of time". 

It just comes down to 

a)  what you think the undead can be affected by

b)  are the immunities you'll give, worth points?

Can an undead be affected by radiation, say?  If you want, sure.  Broadly, perhaps the animating force gets disrupted by radiation.  (Hello, susceptibility.)  Perhaps the skeleton becomes exceptionally stiff in the cold...the END loss still occurs, or perhaps instead of END, it's an accumulating SPD loss, or OCV and DCV loss.  You just don't see these in most fantasy because it's rare for stories to explore these corner nuances.

And if the zombie's immune to aging, as you note..."who cares?" is sensible.  Is it ever going to come into play?  I doubt it.  So why should it cost points?  Doesn't need to sleep?  Useful.  Doesn't need to eat?  Ehhhh...maybe, but I'd lean to "never really comes into play."  

I'll also note that in most cases, the average skeleton's minion-level.  It's there to be turned into fertilizer.