Tips on running a Con game?

Carjack

I'm thinking of running a session of Fantasy Hero at a local con in a few months. I am planning on running for 6 players and am going to use pre-generated characters. Most of my Hero system gaming has been with people very familiar with the system. Anyone have any tips on introducing newbies fairly painlessly?

Keep the game short. CONs are messy affairs, people often come late and/or go away early and you're bound to spend a lot of time explaining the rules anyway. In my experience, it's better to have a very short scenario and being able to run it to the end than writing a long story and never be able to paly it in full.

Keep the rules simple and be ready to cut corners to do it. Skip END tracking, maybe even skip STUN (should be ok if it's a fantasy game), whatever works to keep them interested. At the end of the game, you can point out that HERO has many more features than the ones you used.

Be visual and entertaining.

Be patient. You'll likely be playing with people you don't know. It's possible you'll meet at least a few morons; I call this the "CON game player lotto".

Be patient. You'll likely be playing with people you don't know. It's possible you'll meet at least a few morons; I call this the "CON game player lotto".

Oh tell me about it! This isn't the first con game I've run, but it will be the first time I've run HERO for the unwashed masses. I'm trying to really whittle down to the absolutely necessary mechanics that make HERO work. I'll probably skip END tracking, as you suggested. What other good tips do we have out there?

Give them 2 character sheets one in a standard HERO format of blocks and columns but also have a second one that leaves off any information they don't need. For instance the costs of skills and talents or even the limitations and advanatges on powers just have the

Name (include Characteristic values here)

Description

Roll

The players use the quick sheet for the adventure reducing the amount of time spent looking for things after the game they can look at the standard sheet to see "how the engine works" This will allow you to show off the versatility to HERO in the long run while not scaring off newbies with the numbers in the short run. I doubt any experienced players showing up will complain about a second character sheet explaining how their abilities work. It's extra work but I've found a good introduction to a system at a Con is a powerful advertisement which means more people for us to play with in the future.

Other than that stick with the obvious Con game must have

"Visual Aides" characters, maps, pictures, ...etc.

Not to say you won't get any newbies but I've always found the HERO games to be filled with experienced HERO players much more so than many systems, in fact I can't remember being in a Con HERO game with any players who didn't have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics. Of course with HERO back in print that may change things taking it out of the niche of loyal players.

I like the idea of the simplified character sheet for introductory games, no reason to blow their minds with all the generation if they are using pregen characters. I'll have to remember that if I get any new players some day.

Guest Keneton

I do not agree with dumbing down the rules. I have run several good events at cons and think that dumbing down the rules is all too common. I do not understand what is so hard about tarcking end in fantasy hero. Most people can subtract 2 from 30!

As far as advice, playtest the game with your group at home and then add 1 hour. If this is more than your Con time, reduce the session. In most cases I'd balance 2 role playing scenes and three combat scenes for a good length game. I would also make my plot linera with the appearnace of being open ended. Provide blanced and fair chracters, I'd even recomend using iconic characters if possible.

:)

Originally posted by Keneton

I do not agree with dumbing down the rules. I have run several good events at cons and think that dumbing down the rules is all too common. I do not understand what is so hard about tarcking end in fantasy hero. Most people can subtract 2 from 30!

I don't think anyone has suggested dumbing down the game it's just a matter of trimming the extras for time. I don't keep track of endurance in ourweekly games unless I believe it will become an issue or if it starts to become an issue but then again our group makes an effort to make sure their characters can usually go a minute at full tilt before running out of END. I'll also avoid giving mooks recoveries if the combat is just an interlude to a larger encounter. On the other hand we love using the optional hit locations and disabling/impairment charts. As the cover says HERO is a toolkit at the con you can show them the hammer and if their impressed you can bust out cordless drill/driver.

Guest Keneton

I agree with the statements that the hero sytem is a toolkit. I also agree that at times som eof the advanced rules can make Con gaming a little dicey. here is what I meant about dumbing down the rules. . .

"Keep the rules simple and be ready to cut corners to do it. Skip END tracking, maybe even skip STUN (should be ok if it's a fantasy game), whatever works to keep them interested."

We may disagreee on this, but to me this is like skipping hit points in D&D. Sure maybe avoiding hit locs, impairing wounds and LTE may be in order, but I disagree with removing Stun and or END. I do see the validity and prurpose of others opinions, but my opinion is equally valid.

I agree with the statements that the hero sytem is a toolkit. I also agree that at times som eof the advanced rules can make Con gaming a little dicey. here is what I meant about dumbing down the rules. . .

"Keep the rules simple and be ready to cut corners to do it. Skip END tracking, maybe even skip STUN (should be ok if it's a fantasy game), whatever works to keep them interested."

We may disagreee on this, but to me this is like skipping hit points in D&D. Sure maybe avoiding hit locs, impairing wounds and LTE may be in order, but I disagree with removing Stun and or END. I do see the validity and prurpose of others opinions, but my opinion is equally valid.

Restating, with some emphasis on a few words you might have overlooked... :)

My point is, you won't be really sure about your players' tastes and skills until a good hour into the game. So you should be ready to tailor your GMing style according to the current group.

If the players handle well the HERO system, go ahead and use it in full. Throw in even optional rules if they seem to enjoy it, ie if optional rules are "whatever works to keep them interested. But if they can't handle the system, the choice boils down to either:

a) Dismiss the group (and leave them with a bad feeling about the system)

B) Run the game with full rules and give them a bad gaming experience.

c) Cut corners and keep them entertained.

As a matter of personal taste, I'd rather go with "c". There are people who think a two-digit subtraction is a complex and boring activity. And if even a few players in the group are not having fun, chances are they'll spoil the game for the whole group.

Yes, I'd even skip either STUN or BODY count (but not both) if it is necessary to push the demo game forward. As long as the players get a taste of the core mechanics behind both STUN and BODY (overcoming defenses and subtracting from a pool of points), that should be fine. It woudn't be like running D&D without hit points; D&D only has a single stat for damage. Of course I would point out that I'm skipping a few important rules.

Usually you'll get an odd mixture of player types in a CON, each group will be different from the next one, and catering to the tastes of all of them will be challenging. Ideally, you should be able to entertain even the mathematically challenged and still give a sense of HERO system's breadth and scope. As they leave the table, your players should be thinking:

"Wow, that was fun! :)" and "Wow, HERO system is good! :) ".

But of course, that is just my opinion. ;)

Guest Keneton

Thanks for restating Solomon, but I did not miss anything in the post. As I said we may disagree and your point is/was valid.

Given the three choices you presented I would also choose "c". I just think there is a "d" which is help them learn the mechanics by helping them get done.

It's not actually you I am arguing with. In fact I mostly agree with you. I just have been tired of posts by players saying Hero is Hard. (Note: I am not saying you said this,I'm speaking of other threads). Time after time there is a thread wanting to rid the game of rules and mechanics.

There is a group of players out there that sort of behave like the sneetches on the beeches with the stars on thars saying "were role players not rule players. And your just a wargamer!"

Ieven hd a well respected poster on these boards argue to me that using figures and or props reduced his players imagenation and sense of role playing. What an excuse. When is more less?

That said, I still mostly agree with your motive, but do not agree that Con games should be run with lower than standard rules. Thats what Demos are for or games marked strictly for beginners. Hero is one of the big three (D&D Traveller and Hero) These games made role playing what it is today. No apology is needed for this long surviving sytem. The rest are pretenders and imitators. Thats my opinion.:)

That said, I still mostly agree with your motive, but do not agree that Con games should be run with lower than standard rules. Thats what Demos are for or games marked strictly for beginners. Hero is one of the big three (D&D Traveller and Hero) These games made role playing what it is today. No apology is needed for this long surviving sytem. The rest are pretenders and imitators. Thats my opinion.:)

Actually, I thought we were talking about demo games and games for beginners. :eek:

Guest Keneton

I actually misunderstood then. After rereading the original post and reading Toadmasters response, I thought that we may be discussing all con games.

Still I would not divert from core rules, but that is just me. I would suggest instead using Sidekick. Steve could or would likely distribute a playtest copy for your con game. That way you have some shortcuts without snubbing the rules.

Please look at Toadmasters post again. My experinec in recent Cons has been experinced gamers at the hero events and all of mine sold out every session.

Good luck regardless of what you plan to do.

The key to any good con game is to make your mark think THEY'RE the one that's cheating. Take 3-Card Monte -- the classic way is to trick the mark into believing the red lady is marked but the dealer doesn't realize it. This usually requires at least 3 "cats" for every "mouse" (mark).

Oh wait, you meant "con" as in "convention"?