Interesting take on Marvel and DC superpowers

BishopofB&W

Originally posted by Redmenace

Interesting read and thanks for posting. My only criticism, of the author's position not your post, is how is saying "everything is caused by Psychokinesis" any different from saying its magic?

PS- One of the Wild Cards books posits the same explanation in an in-world article at the back.

It depends on whether you think of magic as a force in and of itself or a process of manipulating forces. In my world, I use an idea from Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books and say that psi and magic are related because they both manipulate physical laws but they operate on slightly different

"channels", for lack of a better word. Psi, in my world, is less versatile than magic, but requires much less in the way of ritual and since it is more focussed, greater power can be developed in a shorter time.

Of course, some authors say that psi and magic are the same thing.

Sure, I understand. I also accept that this is a super rpg bourd and in this genre everything is possible. Its that I don't really think of PK as a more "real" concept than magic.

It explains, quite nicely, the ability of a brick to lift a whole object without it's own weight breaking it apart. It explains flight and force firld that despite invisibility are able to stop both bullets and lasers.

The other, more varied, super concepts seems to be where it breaks down for me. Why does the angel have wings, why does Iceman or the Human torch only have "one way control" of temperature effects?

I'm not saying I expect an answer just that I think it falls a little short of being the pan superheroic unified field theory.