Power Construction: Entangle that gets stronger with time.

KA.

Hi there,

One of my players would like to have an Entangle that gets stronger if you don't break out of it within a certain amount of time (segments, phases, we can work that out later) .

Sort of like glue that "hardens".

He wants to fire it at an opponent, and if they don't break out, it gets stronger and stronger (up to some predetermined limit, of course).

He does not want to keep shooting new "layers" at the enemy, just have the existing Entangle get harder to break out of.

Can anyone come up with an elegant way of doing this?

My first thought is, Entangle with Cumulative and Continuous, but is that the way to go, and how exactly would it work?

Thanks,

KA.

Originally posted by Acroyear

I'd buy a big entangle and limit it with the gradual effect lim.

Gradual Effect is one option. I suppose a second would be an uncontrolled continuous zero END Entangle (small dice, probably some time delay) linked to the base entangle, which stops when the base entangle is escaped, and perhaps caps out at some number of attacks (that's as hard as it gets).

First, thanks for the input.

Here is an initial try at creating this.

I think there needs to be some Entangle that starts immediately, otherwise, anyone would break out the first Segment they were trapped, so I went for a Compund Power.

Increasing Entangle: (Total: 120 Active Cost, 75 Real Cost) Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (Real Cost: 40)

plus

Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF,

Continuous (+1) (80 Active Points);

Extra Time: Extra Segment (-1/2),

Conditional Power: Cancelled if Main Entangle is Escaped. (-1/2),

Gradual Effect 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1/4)

(Real Cost: 35)

My idea is that the main Entangle will be 4d6 then,

after a 1 segment Delay,

1d6 of Entangle will be added on (without any further attack rolls since it is Continuous)

every 3 segments (1 turn / 4 Dice = 1 Die every 3 Segments) up to a maximum of 8d6.

If they break out at any point they don't suffer from the rest of the effect, which is how I justified buying Continuous only on the Extra Dice, not the Main Entangle, since they may never come into play at all.

What do you think?

Balanced?

Abusive?

Overpriced?

Thanks again,

KA

Originally posted by KA.

First, thanks for the input.

Here is an initial try at creating this.

I think there needs to be some Entangle that starts immediately, otherwise, anyone would break out the first Segment they were trapped, so I went for a Compund Power.

Increasing Entangle: (Total: 120 Active Cost, 75 Real Cost) Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (Real Cost: 40)

plus

Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF,

Continuous (+1) (80 Active Points);

Extra Time: Extra Segment (-1/2),

Conditional Power: Cancelled if Main Entangle is Escaped. (-1/2),

Gradual Effect 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1/4)

(Real Cost: 35)

My 2 cents: The first (base) entangle seems fine. I would treat the second as +4d6 BOD to the original entangle, with gradual effect and the same cancellation. As it is part of the first attack, it should not need to be continuous (or uncontrolled, which you didn't buy). As such, it would cost ony 20 AP, real cost 9, for a total cost of 60 AP, 49 real.

To pay 75 real points for your construct seems radically unfair when you could have 8d6 7 DEF entangle that works all at once for 75 points (and costs less END). 60 for 8d6 BOD 4 DEF all acting at once is legal, so your limits on the remaining 4d6 BOD should reduce the cost considerably - very few Supers will be around for it to harden, for example.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

My 2 cents: The first (base) entangle seems fine. I would treat the second as +4d6 BOD to the original entangle, with gradual effect and the same cancellation. As it is part of the first attack, it should not need to be continuous (or uncontrolled, which you didn't buy). As such, it would cost ony 20 AP, real cost 9, for a total cost of 60 AP, 49 real.

To pay 75 real points for your construct seems radically unfair when you could have 8d6 7 DEF entangle that works all at once for 75 points (and costs less END). 60 for 8d6 BOD 4 DEF all acting at once is legal, so your limits on the remaining 4d6 BOD should reduce the cost considerably - very few Supers will be around for it to harden, for example.

Thanks Hugh,

That sounds reasonable to me. If I don't see a compelling argument against it, that is how I am going to do it.

KA.