Rules Question

JmOz

I asked Steve about this, But me and him seem to be talking about two different issues. These are the threads

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1171

On page 318-319 of 5e, the rules for designing a base talk about adding personel to the base using the followers rules

Page 58 talks about buying a follower for the character

My question is this: If a character is buying a base with personel AND a group of followers to adventure with does he buy followers once or twice

If the base has followers then the base buys the followers. Those followers are only involved in adventures with the base.

If the character has follows (people he adventures with) then the character buys the follower.

Not all people who work at a base are followers though. In fact, most of them are probably just DNPCs for the base.

Forgot to add, that if a character buys 32 followers, for example, he can say that 16 stay at the base and 16 travel with him. They do not all have to be with him, and they do not all have to stay at the base.

Yeah, I noticed that Steve wasn't very clear or that he wasn't getting the question.

Basically, if you have two groups, those that mainly stay at the base, and those that adventure with you, then purchase twice.

If you have a single group, with some that stay behind to maintain the base and roster rotates from time to time, then purchase once. The Character pays since they will be adventuring with him from time to time.

Just My Humble Opinion

- Christopher Mullins

Re: Rules Question

Originally posted by JmOz

My question is this: If a character is buying a base with personel AND a group of followers to adventure with does he buy followers once or twice

Followers are Followers. It doesn't matter what duties you assign them to. Saying that they're assigned to the base doesn't make them any less expensive; likea Computer, you pay the cost of them separately from the cost of the Base itself. So if you've got 4 commandos and 12 experts, and the most expensive of them is 100 Base Points before Disads, then buy Followers for 40 points. 20 points for the first 100-point Follower, +20 for 16x as many Followers. :)

Derek is correct. When I stated that a base buy followers I thinking in terms of a dedicated staff that is loyal to the base's operations, but not loyal to the PCs who might be using it. Something along the lines of an UNTIL-like team who controls and operates High Guard Space Station, but the PCs use the space station as a base of operations. The station operatives are loyal to the base, not the PCs.

I think everyone has got you taken care of, but I just wanted to point out that if you're talking about guys like scientists and doctors, they sound more like DNPCs to me. They would be little use on mission and would actualy get in the way most of the time. I wouldn't buy a seperate DNPC for each guy, just one for all of them.

Originally posted by Chaosliege

I think everyone has got you taken care of, but I just wanted to point out that if you're talking about guys like scientists and doctors, they sound more like DNPCs to me. They would be little use on mission and would actualy get in the way most of the time.

Well, only assuming that the missions are very action-oriented. If the "experts" are providing the character with skill sets he doesn't have himself, and they rarely cause trouble for him, then they should be Followers.

For example, I have a Dark Champions character named Black Arrow. (Okay, so I'm a Copier. So sue me. ;)) He doesn't know much about computers and high-tech stuff, but he has a friend who does. She doesn't venture into the field with him... she generally communicates with him via radio when he's in the field. But she provides him with access to skills he doesn't have, and she's much more helpful than she is troublesome, so she's a Follower. :)

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Well, only assuming that the missions are very action-oriented. If the "experts" are providing the character with skill sets he doesn't have himself, and they rarely cause trouble for him, then they should be Followers.

For example, I have a Dark Champions character named Black Arrow. (Okay, so I'm a Copier. So sue me. ;)) He doesn't know much about computers and high-tech stuff, but he has a friend who does. She doesn't venture into the field with him... she generally communicates with him via radio when he's in the field. But she provides him with access to skills he doesn't have, and she's much more helpful than she is troublesome, so she's a Follower. :)

I can see your point there, and since it's actually cheaper to buy up the max # of folowers rather than buying a whole extra set at a lower point base.... Yeah, that makes sense.