Adventure Source Material

JohnTaber

Hi Star Heroes,

I'm going to be starting a near space opera style SH game in a couple of months. I am using my own universe but I would like to get some good published adventures to supliment my ideas or to give me new ideas.

What are some published science fiction adventures that people like?

Thanks!

In large part, the good answers to this depends on the tone of your campaign. I personally like Robert Asprin's "Phule's Company" series, and Gregory J. Smith's StarQuest books (Captive Planet and Operation Master Planet -- if you can find them anywhere). However, these aren't to everyone's taste, nor are the stories therein good for everyone's campaign.

I've usually found published Science Fiction for RP pretty weak. It was always too generic for the themse I wished to explore, and I ended up having to redo most of it.

David Weber and John Ringo have been writing a series of military sci-fi that has been pretty good. The strange thing is, their univers seems to be very similar to the Terran Empre setting.

A better idea of what kind of campaign you are looking at would be helpful.:)

Re: Adventure Source Material

Originally posted by JohnTaber

What are some published science fiction adventures that people like?

I'm very fond of most of the stuff produced for 2300AD (Nyutekundu was one of my favourites). 2300AD tends to be more hard SF, though.

Also, some of the Traveller adventures published in the short-lived Megatraveller Journal were really good.

The campaign is near Space Opera style set in the far future. The PC are on a frontier mining planet that is sort of an outpost. There are lots of aliens and tech is Star Wars like...very advanced.

To clarify, I am looking for pubished adventures NOT novels and such. I have enough novels. ;)

I might look at some of the Megatraveller adventures...hummm...any other ideas?

You may want to try some of the (old) Star Wars modules. Some used book stores have them on bargain racks.

http://www.opifex.cnchost.com/worlds/index.html

Has a Science Fiction scenario section, free downloads.

http://www.downport.com/bard/

Although it never really caught on ,my favorite Sci-Fi roleplaying setting was Traveller's New Era. It was the only Sic Fi setting I ever saw that allowed the players to effect the game world. They also have a scenario section.

• 2 weeks later...