Combat Reflexes and Armor

shinrin

Originally posted by Rick

That is true, but having just read the talent, it is described as the ability to dodge attacks. People can use however they see fit but it was designed for heroic campaigns, for characters sans armor. Divinely granted protection or psyco kinetic protection should probably be a force field.

Or a divine hand pushing them out of the way. ;) Same effect as dodging...

Yah...barely. A gm needs to deal W/these issues of SFX. Still doesn't change that if your movement is hampered you don't get the Def. Apparently your devine hand doesn't work when you're asleep (that's part of the limitation of the talent).

Maybe it requires active, conscious prayer. :) Not working while asleep, is definately appropriate for a psychokenetic SFX.

Ummm ok....then they probably should be an active participant in the fight, given that prayer is an invovled activity...incantations maybe. You should probably change the limitations on combat luck to reflect these differences in SFX.

Just remember Combat luck was given a fairly specific SFX. In changing the SFX your changing the talent to a degree.

As far as some sort of TK is concerned...really that's a Force Field or Missile Deflection. Far more than a "Talent" should cover.

Ummm ok....then they probably should be an active participant in the fight, given that prayer is an invovled activity...incantations maybe. You should probably change the limitations on combat luck to reflect these differences in SFX.

If you're going to follow stereotypical definition of prayer. Prayer, actually doesn't have to involve words at all. It can be a silent longing, a concious awareness, a contemplative state on the presence of the divine.

Just remember Combat luck was given a fairly specific SFX. In changing the SFX your changing the talent to a degree.

Nope. Special effects are left up to the GM and player. Read the "Skills as Powers Section" in the Hero Rulebook. If you are defining combat luck as a power, then it falls under a totally different set of rules, regarding special effects. ;)

As far as some sort of TK is concerned...really that's a Force Field or Missile Deflection. Far more than a "Talent" should cover.

Not necessarily. You are assuming that TK means a forcefield or psychokinetic shield. There are many other ways to look at tk.

What about a psychokenetic who's mind is quicker then his reflexes, and can push himself out of the way with his mind (EGO power special effect)- but his limbs just don't work as fast. That's the type of combat luck I am talking about.

Again, this combat luck would fall under a talent (skill) as a power...

It all depends on how your rationalize it. :)

I also set a max value of rPD in FH ....8.99 rPD across all hit locations averaged is the max value.

Meaning metal breast plate + CL = OK even though it is a 11 rPD for areas 9-13, since overall rPD is still less than 8.99

This prevents 3 levels of CL also.

Getting above 9 rPD really starts to screw with weapon effectiveness IMO.

Fundamentally whether you limit the overall PD or come up with a stacking rule, you accomplish the same thing. I agree that anything over rPD 9 gets crazy, although only for BODY damage.

I dislike arbitrary limits. I would prefer to come up with a system that supports whatever limit I want to set, but in a graduated fashion. My armor stacking rule does this, and quite neatly. Its a simple -1/4 limitation and is easy to figure out, even on the fly. My players like it, think it has a realistic feel, and makes sense.

If you can accomplish the same thing by imposing an arbitrary limit, that's fine. It's not for me, but it gets the job done in a direct and easy to use manner.

Originally posted by The_Saint

I do not care if defenses stack,after all,PCs invest Points in Combat Luck or Magic Defenses and those who don't have these free points for Combat Skill Lvl,Body,etc...I simply set up a max.value for defense.

Exactly, I agree. I don't like too much tailoring of the game system. I think the Hero System is excellent as it is.

Max. values for defense are the point in my book.

Originally posted by mudpyr8

Fundamentally whether you limit the overall PD or come up with a stacking rule, you accomplish the same thing. I agree that anything over rPD 9 gets crazy, although only for BODY damage.

I dislike arbitrary limits. I would prefer to come up with a system that supports whatever limit I want to set, but in a graduated fashion. My armor stacking rule does this, and quite neatly. Its a simple -1/4 limitation and is easy to figure out, even on the fly. My players like it, think it has a realistic feel, and makes sense.

If you can accomplish the same thing by imposing an arbitrary limit, that's fine. It's not for me, but it gets the job done in a direct and easy to use manner.

Well, another factor is the character and experience point levels in the campaign. The higher the point levels, the higher the defenses will likely be: unless you are using the max. values throughout your campaign.

I would rather spend time designing scenarios and plots, then tinkering with disad.s, damage classes, defense levels and combat values. :)