PRE: Straight-Up, For Skills, For PRE Attacks and Defence

Hierax

Something that has come up in doing various monster/race conversions is the issue of PRE.

More specifically, what is the best way to buy PRE to simulate characters/creatures who are particularly large and or frightening.

It seems from Steve's official write-ups and other people's on these boards that straight-up PRE is the generally preferred way.

However, I was concerned that buying 'straight-up' PRE (i.e., as a Characteristic) for them would make Big Ugly Things have better PRE-Based Skill Rolls which really didn't seem fair.

Of the PRE-based Skills -- Acting, Animal Handler, Bureaucratics, Conversation, High Society, Interrogation, Persuasion, Seduction, Streetwise, and Trading -- only Interrogation seems to be appropriate to be increased by things that are bigger and nastier (e.g., Orc, Ogre, Hill Giant, etc.).

So, in response to this concern, I was buying the PRE as a Power limited to "Only for PRE Attacks".

"Fire G0lem" pointed out hat

Yeah, the presence needs to be increased...or better yet, take off the "only for presence attacks" on the bonus. With an 8 Ego and an 8 Presence, they're just asking to be PRE-whipped.

If you really don't want them to have that much "straight" presence, consider "only against things smaller than them" on the PRE.

Also note that as written, they can scare the pants off each other far more effectively than two humans can frighten each other - this makes no sense.

So, what is the best way to handle/simulate the difference between a high PRE from being "Charismatic/Persuasive" (e.g., Elf Lord) vs. being "Big and/or Scary/Intimitading"? (e.g., Troll Lord)

How do you distinguish between these two types of PRE?

Rather than "only to PRE Attack", what about "Not for skills"? This PRE both attacks and defends, but does not enhance any skills. This would be, at most, a -1/4 limitation, and possibly -0 (if the creature lacks any of these skills).

Alternatively, buy the PRE without limitations and give the creature a physical limitation: - X to PRE skills. How often it is inconvenient to the specific creature will determine the value of the disad. You can always say "all PRE skills except Interrogation" if you want.

I tend to use PRE straight up for the reasons already listed. In general, an Ogre won't have Pre-based skills like Diplomacy, so it's not an issue - but if they did, all that extra mass and height is probably going to add to their Persuasiveness.

Even in situations where physical violence is not a possibility, I've noticed that people tend to go off less on individuals who are physically imposing and/or charismatic/dominant.

cheers, Mark

I realized that the way I suggest to buy Charismatic/Persuasive means that when the Elf Lord meets the Fire Golem, The Elf Lord possibly wets himself when the Fire Golem (Big/Intimitading) does an extremely violent action with a Presense Attack. (The Elf Lord doesn't get his charisma bonus against non-communication based presense attacks)

Whether that's a flaw is personal taste. But I found it amusing. :D

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I realized that the way I suggest to buy Charismatic/Persuasive means that when the Elf Lord meets the Fire Golem, The Elf Lord possibly wets himself when the Fire Golem (Big/Intimitading) does an extremely violent action with a Presense Attack. (The Elf Lord doesn't get his charisma bonus against non-communication based presense attacks)

Whether that's a flaw is personal taste. But I found it amusing. :D

Having seen this happen (or essentially the same thing anyway), I can attest that it is funny.