Half the Champions go bad: Which?

Just A Guy Name

Inspired by Balok, who was inspired by Hermit, who has the ball in his court :| Not a poll, for the obvious reason that there are way to many permutations.

The premise is that half the Champions have gone bad, for whatever reason (MC, corruption, replaced by evil lookalikes, doesn't matter), and the remaining half of the team has to not only stop their friends before they become major bad guys, but do so (in the tradtion) without hurting them, and find out what happened to them. We can add Kinetik into the mix, so that both sides will be even in number. The question is, which three members going bad will make for the best story? Take into consideration appropriateness of each individual being cast into a villain's role (as in Balok's poll), but also the ramifications of power mixes.

I'll propose the three evil Champions be Ironclad, Defender, and Witchcraft; leaving Nighthawk, Sapphire, and Kinetik to oppose them. Witchcraft, because we don't want that Transformation to thwart the storyline too quickly. Ironclad, because he's the strongest and best protected, which will make taking him down both harder and more poignant. Defender, for the dramatic reasons (his turning will be the most shocking to the other Champions), plus he adds a nice balance to the other two.

That looks like an obvious choice to me, a little too obvious;) Other ideas?

If I were choosing I would say: Ironclad (same reason as in the other question), Sapphire (the loss of celebrity/spotlight might turn her), and Kinetik (because he realizes Flash is the weakest member in the JL cartoon)!

I don't think Defender would turn due to his ideologies. Nighthawk is dedicated and I do not think he would turn because his reason for being a hero is just as strong as Defenders. It just comes from a different place. Witchcraft cannot go bad because her sister is already bad and she needs to be the yin to Talisman's yang, IMO.

Originally posted by Monolith

Witchcraft cannot go bad because her sister is already bad and she needs to be the yin to Talisman's yang, IMO.

GAAH! Don't give me a reason to start railing on Witchcraft!:)

Actually, Talisman could even be behind the whole thing, but that seems a bit trite; perhaps she is just the front for another, more sinister villain?

Scenerio... Talisman decides to ruin her sister. Using a mystic gemgaw she found...she invokes it's power and twists her sister to be as evil as she assuming that Witchcraft will join her.

Witchcraft pretends to..them WHAM... Talisman becomes a frog with a lot of occult knowledge, and is stored away while the newly evil Witchcraft thanks her sister, grabs the item, and goes off to find her 'love'.

Defender is minding the store in the monitor room, when a scandalously clad Witchcraft appears wanting to 'show him something'. Using a bit of mind control, her VPP, as well as treachery, combined with the power of the item..she soon has him as hers...

She turns her attention to Ironclad the living golem (well, that's how she might see him now) and uses the item to unleash his own evil. She now has muscle.

She decides she wishes to destroy Sapphire, her anger over Sapphire's attraction to HER Defender finally let out in a jealous wash. Sapphire barely escapes alive.

Nighthawk has already figured out something is wrong, and lays low... and catches a now paranoid Sapphire.

They need help... someone who can move faster than Witchcraft can cast, or Defender can blast etc...

They track down Kinetik.

Enjoy this 4 issue limited series of Champion vs Champion... even if those corrupted are restored, can their friendships remain the same?

*Key dramatic music*

:)

I like the way you think, Hermit. You've got a real comic-book mind!<---------NOT A FLAME (just in case anyone is watching) ;)

I guess it probably would play as a limited series, although I was thinking of it as a long storyline in the regular monthly.

Of course, I really meant "mind for comics", but how would that sound?

Originally posted by Just A Guy Name

I like the way you think, Hermit. You've got a real comic-book mind!<---------NOT A FLAME (just in case anyone is watching) ;)

I guess it probably would play as a limited series, although I was thinking of it as a long storyline in the regular monthly.

Of course, I really meant "mind for comics", but how would that sound?

Ah yes, just like Foxbat... :)

I'd go with the long storyline in the regular monthly. It worked for the Jean Grey/Phoenix storyline...

The whole "heroes turn bad" thing happens regularly enough that it's not a major drama. Infinity Inc had to fight the JSA at the beginning of their series. The Teen Titans had to fight (bits of) the JLA (eww!).

The plotline may or may not have long term ramifications. Logically it should, but logic is optional in this kind of situation. :)

In particular, Defender, Witchcraft and Sapphire are likely to have to deal with their little romantic triangle.

Ironclad might be a bit ticked off by it all. He would either get over it, or walk out. (And possibly return in the future, of course).

Witchcraft might walk, too. That would allow her to avoid dealing with Defender, plus she could deal with some of the other issues raised by the enthusiasm with which she embraced evil. Then again, someone is likely to kick her butt and tell her to go and get her man... It would definitely be time for her to rearrange her disadvantages.

More generally, this would be a good time to shuffle the team membership. Kinetik would probably join officially. Nighthawk might become leader (and redesign his costume...)

And if both Witchcraft and Ironclad walk, there would be space in the team for a new character or two. Who would they be?