Character levels

Vorvodoss

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Eh. I think its shoddy and poorly constructed. Id rather spend some real money and get nice furniture that doesnt break if you look at it wrong.

No kidding. I went to a showroom with my folks. I think I found one piece of actual, solid wood in the whole place. Anyone who pays full price for that stuff needs to have their head examined.

$0.02

Guest Keneton

About level based and point based systems:

I am not sure why your player has a hang up. Does he ask what level the hat is when he plays monopoly, or what level his bishop is when he plays chess?

Hero is a different game.

That said, if he wants to equate power levels there are several soluations. . .

Break things down by type, low powered geroic, heroic, superheroic, cosmic etc.

Break things down by a rule of X or the Effectiveness Rating. (If points confuse the palyer I do not reccomend this. Even from the author, it can be confusing).

Use a scale like the one Killer Shrike Suggested.

or lastly assign an arbitary value to each guy something like. . .

Incompetent

Normal

Mook

Competent

Hero

Superhero

High Powererd Hero

Cosmic Hero

well you get it and good luck.

:D

Belive me, I personally don't have a problem with the points system (however, I admittedly thought a heroic character with base 150 points was closer to first level DnD characters than it really is). My player is intelligent but has also spent twenty years thinking one way and has had two weeks to change his perspective. That's a lot to ask, especially when I can't relate this system to what he already knows. KillerShrike has helped tremendously. All it took was telling him that a beginning character in my campaign is like a sixth level character in DnD.

I was in Shrikes original group that he converted from AD&D 2e to the HERO System and have played in most of his "GreyHERO" Games over the last 8 years as well as other campaigns both with and without the HERO System. In fact we just started a new Fantasy campaign today and it looks like it will be really cool.

The whole points to level thing is generally only used to convert characters into the HERO System for background material, or on the off chance somebody has a burning desire to model their D&D character in the HERO System rather than design a new character straight in the HERO System (Shrike's recommended approach is to start with a clean slate).

However, there have been some players fresh from D&D who really just dont get the their relative strength via character points, and the ability to approximate it to a level really does seem to help them. Eventually, if they keep playing the HERO System they catch on, but it helps get some people past their initial hesitance.

Just my $.02

I think the issue of character levels is (obviously) a hot one but what it all comes down to is the simple need to know how advanced or powerful our characters are. It's nice to know how much we can do in comparison to other players' characters as well as NPCs. This need transcends RPGs and really is a reflection of MOST people's needs to know "who's better." When it does come to RPGs, it doesn't matter which system you choose...there is always a way to compare characters.

~~edit: And always a need to. ^.^

Guest Keneton

Although I suggested it may be complicated, check out the Effectiveness Rating in the free Stuff Section. I wrote an article explaining its details in Digital Hero #3. If you have any questions, just ask. It does show you "who is better" and is a good tool for GM's to judge encounters ala CR or EL from 3.5

:)