Sidekick questions

JeffB

Hey Folks,

I have to say I'm real excited to hear about Sidekick. I bought FRED when it first appeared, but just found it too overwhelming compared to the old days when I played Champs 2E, Espionage and Justice, Inc. So FRED has been gathering dust, unfortunately. I lurk here just to see what HERO fans are talking about, but have not run a HERO game in about 20 years.

So I'm really glad to see this product coming out, but I have a couple of questions

1) Is this going to be a complete game? i.e. is this just a "bridge" product to FRED or is this going to be like the old D&D Basic/Expert/C ompanion etc where it's a complete, yet simplified game?

2) If so, would I be able to pick up Champions, or Fantasy HERO and be able to run a game with one of those genrebooks and SK, or am I going to be missing so much in SK, I'll need to be looking stuff up in FRED all the time.

3) How many pages will this book be?

Thank you much for your help.

Re: Sidekick questions

Originally posted by JeffB

1) Is this going to be a complete game? i.e. is this just a "bridge" product to FRED or is this going to be like the old D&D Basic/Expert/C ompanion etc where it's a complete, yet simplified game?

Both. It can serve as a complete game unto itself, or as an introduction to full-blown Hero. It will give you the ability to create fully-realized characters in a streamlined, customizable game system suitable for any genre.

2) If so, would I be able to pick up Champions, or Fantasy HERO and be able to run a game with one of those genrebooks and SK, or am I going to be missing so much in SK, I'll need to be looking stuff up in FRED all the time.

It will be functionally compatible with all existing products.

3) How many pages will this book be?

Eleven.

Seriously, I don't know the answers to any of these.

Sidekick is complete in and of itself, making it a damn good bargain at $9.99. It's 128 pages long.

You could certainly use any of our supplements with SK. You'll see a lot of things used or referred to that aren't in SK, but you can either (a) ignore them, (B) guess what they do based on their names, or © look 'em up in the copy of 5E you already own.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Sidekick is complete in and of itself, making it a damn good bargain at $9.99. It's 128 pages long.

At this Price I can purchase the books for the rest of my group and have better chance at getting Hero System as our game of choice. I think this is a very smart move on your part. As I am sure once my friends get a taste of it they will end up purchasing other Hero books.

Thank you all for the quick responses :) This sounds just like what I've been wanting from HERO. I'll be picking SK up as well as either Champions or Fantasy Hero 'pending on what the players decide they want to try next.

Is SK available in stores yet? or should I just place my order online here?

Sidekick is available at DundraCon this weekend and should be in stores soon.

So, if you live in the Bay Area -- drop by the booth and pick up one -- and the Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook as well.

Or, if you don't live in the Bay Area -- look for both at your FLGS soon.

Andy

Guest Jody_Butt
Originally posted by Steve Long

That's our Insidious Plan. ;)

$10USD for 128 pg. is a sweet, sweet deal. I don't think there's any other game that can beat that. At $10 a pop, I can afford to pick one up for my wife, brother-in-laws, sister-in-law, nephew, niece, and friends. Nothing gets you into the game like owning your very own copy.

So, what is going to be left out of Sidekick? Equipment? Vehicles? Powers? [There's about a 250 page difference between SK, and the 5E corebook.]

Thanks,

Jody Butt