How to build: harpoon gun

Sternum

I'd like to build a harpoon gun for the AQUANAUT, the armored sentinel of the sea. The first half of the power will be a fairly straight-foward ranged killing attack, but I'm not sure what mechanics to use to simulate reeling his quarry in. The victim will be attached to a rope, and the Aquanaut will be yanking him in using brute strength, so I see elements of an entangle and telekinesis at play.

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest using Stretching for the "reeling in" aspect. That way the harpoon has a limited range, and the STR needed to reel the quarry in will be based off of the character's STR.

Something along the lines of:

2d6 RKA, Limited Range 10": -1/4, OAF: -1, Beam: -1/4, 1 Rec charge: -11/4 plus 10" Stretching 0 END: +1/2, No Noncombat: -1/4, No Velocity: -1/4, Always Direct: -1/4, OAF: -1, Limited Part: Harpoon Line: -1/4, Lockout: -1/2 (cannot do anything else while attempting to reel in prey). Total Cost: 29 points.

Originally posted by Bengal

I've been wrestling with this idea as well, and it seems like it can be simulated with extra limb, stretching, and perhaps some sort of attack (KA if you like) with the appropriate lims.

It damages, traps and then moves the target toward the attacker.

I would go with EB/Killing attack, linked entangle and movement usable against others limited to only while target is entangled.

Originally posted by Monolith

I'd suggest using Stretching for the "reeling in" aspect. That way the harpoon has a limited range, and the STR needed to reel the quarry in will be based off of the character's STR.

Something along the lines of:

2d6 RKA, Limited Range 10": -1/4, OAF: -1, Beam: -1/4, 1 Rec charge: -11/4 plus 10" Stretching 0 END: +1/2, No Noncombat: -1/4, No Velocity: -1/4, Always Direct: -1/4, OAF: -1, Limited Part: Harpoon Line: -1/4, Lockout: -1/2 (cannot do anything else while attempting to reel in prey). Total Cost: 29 points.

The one I wrote up for Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth is similar to this, but also has a Only Works If RKA Does Body (-1/2) Limitation on the Stretching part to better model the harpoon bouncing of armor and the like.

Originally posted by Bengal

Al, as long as there are no conflicts of interests or copyright infringements, I'd really like to see your writeup from that product here. I am actually using something similar for a villain in my campaign too.

Errrr... I'm not sure if that would be cool or not, Bengal, so I think I had better err on the side of caution. Like I said, though, it is similar to what Monolith posted just with the RKA Must Do Body Limitation on the Stretching.

If you're in a gaming store at some point, you can find it on page 70 of Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth.