Miniatures...

skars

Hey folks, I am looking for a suitable line of miniatures to use for champions. Do you have any suggestions? I am new to the system but I have been painting miniatures for years. Historical miniatures have been my focus for such a long time, I don't know where to go for this genre. Any help is much appreciated.

_Thom

There are several lines for metal ones: Superfigs, Silver Age Sentinels, Living Legends, plus older out of production figs from Champions, Marvel, and DC (but most of the Marvel and DC ones aren't that good). If your characters are high-tech or fantasy-based, you've got tons more options with more regular lines.

Plastic: Heroclix. You can get the "rookie" figs cheap, and can use them straight or modify them easily enough.

Paper: Cardboard Heroes! I have a billion of these - from old Champions GM screens, Steve Jackson Games packs, and especially from various Marvel Super Heroes game packs (original game, not Saga or recent one). Those MSH packs have TONS of them - the basic game boxes, and the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Avengers expansion boxes all have a bunch. These are especially good for civilians/normals - easy to tell metal/plastic figs for heroes and villains from the paper normals on a battlefield.

Guest innominatus

If you need mass quantities of miniatures (dozens of agents and "popcorn" baddies) or you want the maximum amount of customization, or you just want to do them cheaply, I recommend using screen captures from HeroMachine to create your own version of the old Cardboard Heroes. They may not be quite as fancy as 3-D molded figures, but my hands are so shaky I'm not much good at painting miniatures.

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

Depends on how much work you wanna do. My PCs and I convert any fig we get our hands on into superheroes. But we do use some stock Superfigs, Heroclix, Warzone. I would suggest going to http://www.newwavegames.com they have a uge minitures section with pictures of most of them.

John Spencer

I've ordered many miniatures from New Wave. Unfortunately, my last two orders went unfilled. No contact, no nothing. I e-mailed them, no response.

There are too many other places out there who want my business to bother with someone who seems to not.

Silver Age Sentinels

Well, I picked up and painted the "Crimus" figure from the Silver Age Sentinels line and I am pleased. But, the store I purchased it from only had this and one other. The pictures of the "iron walkers" on their web site are great. I'd love to paint up a horde of those. Superfigs is the next place I will look. Paper stand-ups are suitable, but I prefer miniatures. The heroclix are decent, but I'm not interested in prepainted models. I appreciate all the feedback.

_Thom

Originally posted by Blue

I've ordered many miniatures from New Wave. Unfortunately, my last two orders went unfilled. No contact, no nothing. I e-mailed them, no response.

There are too many other places out there who want my business to bother with someone who seems to not.

I had that problem too. I got the minis 3 months after I ordered them. I usually look at the pictures and get my FLGS to order them for me.

John Spencer

Re: Silver Age Sentinels

Originally posted by skars

Well, I picked up and painted the "Crimus" figure from the Silver Age Sentinels line and I am pleased. But, the store I purchased it from only had this and one other. The pictures of the "iron walkers" on their web site are great. I'd love to paint up a horde of those. Superfigs is the next place I will look. Paper stand-ups are suitable, but I prefer miniatures. The heroclix are decent, but I'm not interested in prepainted models. I appreciate all the feedback.

_Thom

Just use spray primer on the Heroclix, then you can repaint them. Be careful not to get the primer too heavy though, I suggest a light coat then going over it with watered down paint to finish up.

Agents are the hard part. You need to find a mini that will work with very little conversion, since you need hordes. Remember to look at all the figures you can, you never know what you will be able to convert. One of my PCs took all GW fig parts and made a Dragonball Z type character, looked good too.

John Spencer

Originally posted by proditor

It's almost a law, you never know what you'll find useful. I had two leftover sprues from a Robotech model. They were going on 25 years old. I decided to make a Sergeant Kemlo from Top 10. Bada-boom, on those sprues were two Doberman heads. End result? 2 Sergeant Kemlos. :)

You are absolutely correct! I went out to the garage today and started digging through my unpainted lead and found some Nautiloids from an old science fiction wargame. These are like giant sea snails armed with blasters. I also found a winged man that would make a suitable character or villain.

_Thom