Melee Weapon with AOE linked power?

Demonsong

Hello all, let’s make a magic sword with a linked AOE Holy Blast……

Sword

1 1/2D HKA (25 pts)

+1/2 END = 0

-1 OAF

-2 Independent

12 pts real cost (It’s a magic sword so we are not putting STR mins or any of the other stuff on it.)

Holy Blast

5D6 EB (Holy Light) (25pts)

+1/2 END =0

+1/2 AOE = 1 Hex

-1/2 No Range

-1/2 Linked to Sword

-1 Only works vs. Demons and Demonkin

-1 OAF

-2 Independent

-0 Limitation: Holy Blast always works vs. Demons. It must be used, if attacking with the sword.

10 pts real cost

Perfect Weight and Balance

+2 OCV Sword

-0 OAF (0 because you have to buy 5 point skill levels to put limitations on them. Right?)

-0 Independent (0 because you have to buy 5 point skill levels to put limitations on them. Right?)

4pts real cost

The whole sword now costs 26 real points.

Questions:

1) You attack a person with the sword you attack a hex with the blast. Would you use one dice role and compare it to the two different DCV’s? The object here is that it is possible for the Holy Blast to hit even if the sword misses.

2) I linked the Holy Blast to the Sword because the sword always works and the holy blast only works vs. demons. But the Holy Blast costs more. What is the correct way to do this?

As always thanks for the input.

Demonsong

1) an AoE attack targetting the hex in which your target for the normal attack is standing always hits. I would as a GM fiat, make it so it would miss otherwise, although I am sure there's an actual rule for this in the FAQ.

2) the Linked lim is worth (-1/4), and also subject to the GM's permission.

There is a paragraph on Linked in the rulebook deals with this kind of situation. Linked attacks must have the same target and the same attack roll. Since you didn't buy AOE for the HKA, I'd have to think that you use the HKA attack roll for both (thus, one roll against the target character's DCV).

As a minor point, you may as well use 5 point levels and take the Limitations (which is what is normally done), since it will come out to be 2 points that way rather than 4. This only matters if someone important and point balanced is buying the thing, though.

Trigger has the problem of needing to be reset after it goes off, although there is a Digital HERO article that expands it so it doesn't have to. It will work, the wielder just needs to set it again after each use if you don't have/don't want to use the article.

I could be wrong, though.

Another possibility would be to put a Naked Advantage on the Killing Attack: Area Effect, Hex, for +1/2, use the Accurate option (I think I have that name right, sorry, no time to look it up) so that it only needs to hit the hex, and put that Advantage on Demons Only. This has a 12 point Active cost, OAF, Independant, Demons Only, so will cost a total of 2 Real Points. Then, both attacks are targeted on the Hex when fighting demons, and you'll just have the sword, otherwise.

I don't see why you would need Trigger, for two reasons. The power with the Linked limitation does not have to be used when the power to which it is linked is used. So if you put the Linked limitation on the Holy Blast, you couldn't use the Holy Blast without the HKA, but you could use the HKA without the Holy Blast.

Also, I don't think you can get away with 2-pt. skill levels for OCV for the sword anyway. Any skill levels you use with a linked attack must apply to both attacks. A 2-pt. skill level, by definition, can only apply to one single attack. At a minimum, a skill level with "magic sword powers" would be a 3-pt. level. And since I assume that the accuracy from the skill levels comes from the sword (and would thus apply if another character used the sword), you may as well make them 5-pt. levels with OAF.

What is the purpose of the AOE on the Holy Blast? Is that to be accurate with the Holy Blast, or is that to damage more than one demon if you catch more than one in the same hex?

I don't see why you would need Trigger, for two reasons. The power with the Linked limitation does not have to be used when the power to which it is linked is used. So if you put the Linked limitation on the Holy Blast, you couldn't use the Holy Blast without the HKA, but you could use the HKA without the Holy Blast.

So that means I did it correctaly, and I just need to reduce the Linked Limitation to -1/4.

Also, I don't think you can get away with 2-pt. skill levels for OCV for the sword anyway. Any skill levels you use with a linked attack must apply to both attacks. A 2-pt. skill level, by definition, can only apply to one single attack. At a minimum, a skill level with "magic sword powers" would be a 3-pt. level. And since I assume that the accuracy from the skill levels comes from the sword (and would thus apply if another character used the sword), you may as well make them 5-pt. levels with OAF.

Very good point. So 5 point skill levels it is. Is there a limitaion of not being able to use the 2 skill levels to boost DVC? Or would that just be -0 limitation?

What is the purpose of the AOE on the Holy Blast? Is that to be accurate with the Holy Blast, or is that to damage more than one demon if you catch more than one in the same hex?

I think it was the best way to describe the special effect I have in my mind. A burst or small explosion of holy light that radiates form the sword so that even if the sword swing misses odds are the beast will still be caught in the explosion of light.

My opinion:

Build the HKA as listed, but without the Reduced END Cost. It's a Focus, so it inherently has no END cost apart from whatever STR will be put behind it to swing it.

Build the No Range AoE (or better yet, IMO, Explosive) EB, and give it the Limitations "Only vs. Demons" at whatever value would be appropriate (-1? -1/2? How often do you fight demons in this game?) and OAF: Sword.

Buy a couple 5-point HTH levels with OAF: Sword.

Done.