Plant Killing Aura...

t-bear

A friend asked me to post this..he's at work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you do me a favor as long as you're posting on the HERO boards?

I'm curious how people would build a plant-killing aura. Wherever the character walks, grass browns at her feet, flowers whither from her touch, dinner salads turn to dust on her fork....

I'm thinking it should probably be a Distinctive Feature or Social Limitation. However, I want plants to really take game-mechanical damage -- so, let's say she were fighting Poison Ivy and she was hit with a plant Entangle, the Entangle would quickly die.

Should it be built as a Drain BODY, AE-One Hex, 0-END Persistent, Always On, Only vs. Plants?

Drain BODY, Continuous, 0-END Persistent, Damage Shield Always On, Only vs Plants? (These two are mostly stylistically different)

Change Environment (Kills Plants), 0-END Persistent Always On No Range?

Something else?

And can the character take a Distinctive Feature / Social Limitation if she also takes the Always On limitation, or is that double-dipping?

I would build it as simply a DF that causes extreme reaction however since he also wants to damage plants how about the following combo...

(Remeber something drained to 0 body is destroyed and will not regrow or get the body back.)

Leathal Aura

Cost Power END
PART ONE
14 1) Life Destroying Auara: Drain BODY 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (35 Active Points); Only vs. Plant Life/Matter (-1), Always On (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 14

PLUS

Val Disadvantages
20 Distinctive Features: Destryes life within his Aura (1") (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 20

The BODY Drain (or maybe just KA?) construct is a good start. As for affecting incoming plant-based attacks, that's trickier. The BODY Drain would probably work on an Entangle but not on, say, a Drain v.s. Running defined as roots tangling a person's feet. My first thought is something based on Dispel v.s. Plant SFX.

-AA

Not that the previous example was at all bad, but I here is an alternate.

1d6 RKA (Standard Effect), Continuous, Explosion, 0 END, Persistent (52 Active Points) Always On, Only vs. Plants (-1), No Range

Final Cost: 17 Points

I would not consider the Always On limitation as double dipping with anything. Not only would the character be Distinctive, the Plant Killing Aura would also render most forms of plant-based remedies unavailable and certain plotlines might be difficult or impossible for the character to participate in.

In regards to Distinctive Features vs. Social Limitation, Distinctive Features would almost be a given. Whether the character suffered any social ramifications would depend entirely on the Setting. Dark Sun, for instance, has some very nasty magi called Defilers. These hombres are most assuredly not welcome and are at great risk; Social Limitation. Most comic book genres, it's almost more of a special effect. So basically season to flavor.

EDIT: AA has a good point. I would almost suggest the Dispel as part of the package and maybe make it a small Elemental Control.

Try this on for size....

Suppress 3d6 vs Plant-based Powers. Explosion, 0 END, Persistent, Continuous (52 Active Points) Always On, No Range

Final Cost: 26 Points.

An EC would not save anything in this case (it would actually cost 5 more points), so the two powers would just be. I don't think Linked would be appropriate as they are both Continuous, 0 END and Persistent powers.

Think about the plants

Do the plants have any aspect in the game? Is the character using the power to destroy crop land? If its just a special effect of the character and doesn't actually cause a story related effect then go with Distinctive Feature.

If, however, it has an effect or a major effect then buy a power. Its a severe disadvantage by the way. The person can be tracked by it much more easily than someone who leaves only foot prints.

loophole in hero

From your description, it sounds like you want your power to attack plant-based sfx. Unfortunately since hero is effects based, not sfx based, you'd have to buy this as a combination of several powers: drain body, and dispel (plant-based sfx) at the very least.