iconic hero question

Guest Praetorian

Guest Praetorian

hey guys,

how would you represent the shear toughness of like superman and captain marvel withough giving them a strength in excess of 100? is there a power or advantage I'm missing that would add to their pd and ed besides armor or force field? neither of those 2 seem to fit the bill.

thanks

Praetorian

Guest Praetorian

well, I guess I can see the 125 str since he's picked up ships and tossed them with little effort before. I was just trying to make a good iconic type hero staying in the restraints of what I'm going to be running. I'm thinking no more than 75 active points, I like that idea. and no more than 7d6 damage or so, and that limits characters to a str of 35 or so. do you think that's too limiting for a campaign?

Praetorian

Well, I don't think that a 7d6 damage cap would really be appropriate if you are looking to make Superman, etc type characters - if you are doing a more "heroic" instead of "superheroic" game, great.

Check out the tables for damage to objects, materials, etc. I don't think that 7d6 would even break through a brick wall unless he rolled well - is that the kind of Supes/CM you want?

There is a lot of ways to simulate Superman's toughness.

There's the completely invulnerable Superman type:

75 PD

75 ED

75 PD/ED Damage Resistance double hardened

double hardened on 75 PD/ED

This version walks away from 20d6 attacks without taking any damage on average.

The near-invulnerable Superman type:

40 PD

40 ED

40 PD/ED Damage Resistance hardened

hardend on 40 PD/ED

50% Damage Reduction PD/ED Resistant

This version takes 15 STUN from each 20d6 attack.

and finally the takes a beating but keeps fighting Superman type:

20 PD

20 ED

20 PD/ED Damage Resistance

75% Damage Reduction PD/ED Resistant

This version takes 12 STUN from each 20d6 attack, but will ocassionally take BODY too from above average rolls.

There needs to be variety in a game for it to be any fun....If this guy is a Superman type he needs to be buffed. I never cared for Supes myself but I had at one point made the Hulk up with a base of 125 STR and absorbtion going to his Strength with the limitaion only while hes angry. Of course he also had regeneration and defenses coming out his wazoo but then again he's the Hulk.

Bottom line if everyone does the same damage range its kind of boring.

There's also the "Hey, I saw it in the UNTIL sourcebook" type superman...

25 ED, Resistant

75% Resistant Damage Reduction

Absorption to STUN

(What Quasar has to represent his "Energy attacks? Feh. Energy, schmenergy" effect.)

Only Superman would have it for both PD and ED, natch.

I used that kind of point construction in the 1000-point thread for an uberbrick me and my friend Mark jointly designed, Horus-Re.