More language question?

Corven_Ren

Writing is the symolic expression of verbal communication. While one does not speak dead languages, one must develop the same fundamental understanding of grammar, vocabulary, and usage. I would argue that you should pay full cost on ancient languages, but that its unlikely you would ever be able to purchase it at the 4 point level, since you don't actually speak the language.

If you are merely talking about scripts, then I would charge 1 point per script, but someone who knows a script (take latin script for example) can't necessarily read any language written in that script, though they could sound out the words.

Both Hebrew and Aramaic are written in Assyrian Script. I can read both, but I can't read ancient Assyrian. That is a language in of itself, and I would have to learn it to read it. The same is true of latin script. I read English, Latin, and "old english," but I don't read French, Spanish, or German (I sort of read German).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: a language is a language even if its not spoken anymore. It still requires the same information as a spoken language to master, and is generally just as linguistically complex. The real question - is how much mastery of the language can you purchase with a language no one speaks anymore?

I would bet the answer is: 2 or 3 points max. Even world reknowned experts are confounded by ancient idiom on a regular basis with many truly dead languages (i.e. Sanskrit).

Originally posted by Von D-Man

The same is true of latin script. I read English, Latin, and "old english," but I don't read French, Spanish, or German (I sort of read German).

tangent alert!

Hmm, I would think that old german would be an extra dialect. Translating my grandfather's ship diaries was a real bear.