Forgotten (power building question)

Delthrien

The effect: The character, in general, cannot be remembered. If he interacts with you, you can remember him, but only for an amount of time roughly equal to the duration of that interaction (i.e., if you chat with him for 10 minutes, you will promptly forget him 10 mintues after you part company...). He can't turn the power off...

The mechanics: Well, this is the part where it falls down. The current version has a rather large, area effect transform (0 range, persistent, always on, etc...). Not in itself a terrible thing, but it seems like an awful lot of points to spend on something that is as much a hindrance (if not moreso) as it is a benefit.

Any suggestions?

Charlie

How about Mind Control?

Same adv/lims on a Mind Control (Telepathic one command: Once I'm gone wait for an amount of time equal to how long you've seen me then Forget Me).

Or if its a serious disadvantage try to convince your GM to allow you to take it as such.

Physical Limitation: Forgotten (Can't get people to remember meeting you).

Unless your playing a solo game its going to be a real problem

You: Hey guys, what's up

Rest of the team: Who the hell are you and how did you get into our base.

You: I'm with you guys, look I have this piece of paper you signed saying you know me

Someone: It could be a forgery

You: Oh hell why do we always have to go through this...

I can just see the team getting to crime scenes to late because they spent so much time questioning your character about who he was. I can also see less trusting members taking shots at 'the stranger' whenever you turn up mysteriously in their secret base.

BTW This problem was also one which a character in Hudson City Blues had. He gets introduced to the charatcers when they put their hands in their pockets and find a note that says something like: "This guy told me to write this down, cause I'd forget meeting him. I've agreed to help him find a woman called 'Plain Jan'e who he thinks might suffer a similar problem, there is a video of her in my backpack, he said he'd help with my investigations and leave what he found in a PO Box (the keys in my other pocket)." in their own writing. Seems you couldn't even remember what you did while you were with him.

I'm about to go out on a limb here...

How about this power...

Forgettable: Invisibility to Normal sight and hearing; no fringe, Inherent (+1¼); Always on, Only to thwart the remembering of the power user, (-2), Extra time (power activates after the same amout of time that you interacted with power user, -¼); 79 Active, 19 Real; END cost: 0

Ooo! Oooo!!

I was just reading through Steve Long's "Time Stop" power description regarding the "Hey, What happened" aspect of that, ummm... very expensive ability... Toned down a bit, i think it might very well serve the purpose...

HOWEVER...

If anyone else has a more elegant way of doing this, please feel free to chime in. No Rush... Really... COB on the 12th ought to do it... ;)

Thanks to everyone thus far!

Charlie

Well...

Just a particularly bizarre suggestion, which requires an assumption of the world. If you were to consider Memory to be an Unusual Sense, you could buy Invisibility against it, and define the Invisibility as working pretty much the way you described.

However, aside from that or a similar weird thing, your best bet is probably a Minor Transform vs. Mind, Target to Target with no memory (or records) of the character.

One moment while I pull up Hero Designer to make this quicker...

38 Transform 1d6: Target Without Memory Of Character (Minor), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Affects Desolidified (Any form of Desolidification; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1), Continuous (+1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Megascale (1" = 100000 km; +1 1/2) (77 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Say, it's only 38 points, that's not too bad.

That almost does it... :)

I may actually go with the transform after all. I'd originally constructed it with a 2d6 transform and a smaller megascale advantage (for a "faster" transform). I'd also added in a -0 limit to represent that it doesnt' take full effect until the elapsed time away from the character equals/exceeds the time spent with the character.

As an added "feature" of the power, it doesn't affect non-living things. I think it would be necessary for him to be able to interact with the world via recordings and messages.

Re: Well...

Originally posted by GamePhil

Just a particularly bizarre suggestion, which requires an assumption of the world. If you were to consider Memory to be an Unusual Sense, you could buy Invisibility against it, and define the Invisibility as working pretty much the way you described.

The idea I had was to figure out how to make Mr. Forgettable invisible to Eidetic Memory and work from there. EM is Retrocognitive Clairsentience, only for Memorized/preceived information that applies to all senses (including hearing & sight, obviously), so I figured regular memory would be similar, but with an activation roll. Making him invisible to sight & hearing but only after a certain amount of time had passed should make any use of retrocognition based on memory (basic or eidetic) useless. Figured that it might work better than a transform which either wears off or can be reversed on a preset condition.

B c'n ya.

I think Ultimate Mentalist caused memory loss through Transform and Dispel. The Transform you've got seems like it will do the job, so I'd go with it. I'd also give it limited class of target (people, or people with whom the character has interacted) to further reduce the cost. I'd try to make this cost the player relatively few points because it hinders so much more frequently than it helps. If the GM's comfortable with it, it might just work best as a physical limitation.