Missile Deflection & Elemental Controls

Wanderer

How do you put a Missile Deflection & Reflection Power into an Elemental Control ? Does it need the Costs Endurance Limitation ? May the "Costs Endurance Only To Activate" Limitation suffice ? Otherwise, may a custom "Costs Endurance Per Use" Limitation be used? The ordinary "Costs Endurance" every phase of maintaining the power Limitation seems too expensive for a Constant Power that in some ways works just like an Attack/Instant Power.

This is another example of the arbitrariness of the "must cost END" restriction on EC powers - but that'a juat my opinion... If your GM is sticking to that rule, then the power will have to cost END every phase, or be purchased outside the EC, perhaps with a -1/4 limit that it is affected by adjustment powers as though it is in the EC.

Note that powers which cost no END "require GM permission", so your GM could choose to allow the power (whether with no END, or costing END only to activate, or only per use) if he feels that it is an appropriate power for this EC and would not be unbalancing.

However, note that Costs Endurance exists in two versions... -1/2 to activate and maintain, or just -1/4 to activate...

Missile Deflection must be declared before the Attacker rolls his Attack Roll, and can be Aborted to... You spend the END each time you decide to use it, and if you succeed, you can keep attempting to deflect until your next phase or until you fail to deflect... (with a cumulative -2 penalty)... On your next phase, it costs END to continue deflecting, but remember that this only takes a half-phase, and resets all the penalties...

Re: Missile Deflection & Elemental Controls

Originally posted by Wanderer

How do you put a Missile Deflection & Reflection Power into an Elemental Control ?

You ask your GM, "Can I put Missile Deflection & Reflection in an Elemental Control? I'll put Costs END if you let me!"

He'll either say 'yes' or 'no'.

:);):D

Guest Kolava

Re: Re: Missile Deflection & Elemental Controls

Originally posted by Dust Raven

You ask your GM, "Can I put Missile Deflection & Reflection in an Elemental Control? I'll put Costs END if you let me!"

He'll either say 'yes' or 'no'.

:);):D

Or, more likely, the GM will come here and ask Steve for the right answer. :cool:

Re: Re: Re: Missile Deflection & Elemental Controls

Originally posted by Kolava

Or, more likely, the GM will come here and ask Steve for the right answer. :cool:

And Steve would say:

Originally posted by Steve Long

Of these questions, the Rules FAQ answers the ones that aren't already answered by the rulebook.

Did a search..:D

And looking at the FAQ:

Q: Could a character put a power that inherently costs no END in an Elemental Control if he applied the Costs Endurance Only To Activate Advantage on it?

A: With the GM’s permission, yes.

:cool:

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Re: Re: Re: Missile Deflection & Elemental Controls

Originally posted by Dust Raven

And Steve would say:

Did a search..:D

And looking at the FAQ:

:cool:

Which brings us back to

"Ask your GM".

He will ask Steve...

AAAAAAAAARGH

True, but I have to admit that I had not noticed that particular FAQ line (let's admit it, the FAQ has grown so intimidating in size that you may miss something; the Revised Fred may effectively be needed to incorporate and organize some of that stuff, besides getting the new rules, especially the new modifiers, from sourcebooks), or I'd not bothered the group, much less the Head Honcho, with my doubts. After his scolding, I gave the FAQ a *much* more through reading , section by section, and found that ruling.

Now that I know "Costs Endurance Only To Activate" is a legal ticket for Missile Reflection in a EC, my concerns are settled, as the power gets balanced in End costs with other Instant/Attack powers (I can be rather intimidating & persisten... err, persuasive in getting GMs to give permissions, when I'm not the GM; in that case, I'm quite permissive and interpret any "needs GM permission" as "allowed", except for very, very abusive attempts).

Thanks to all for your time and answers.