No Dominion - A FH Story Hour

Eosin

Re: No Dominion - A FH Story Hour

Part 15

Continued from above.

The following morning found the three companions well but outside of the abbey a body was discovered. The warrior had been on a roof overlooking the abbey and had been killed from behind. Arron investigated the roof and even though everyone had taken precautions to avoid being followed, it appeared that the dead man had been watching them.

Torean spent the day hunting up information on the diplomat who remained on the Imbrian vessel – the Sea Dancer and was able to discover the mans name was Nyghon Toth and that he unnerved the crewmen on board but little else was known of the man.

Jayme had yet to reveal to us that he was able to speak with the spirits of the water. During his stay at Ridgewall he had met several times with an elderly druid who had taught him the ritual for summoning a creature of water known as Neryn. The feminine spirit had told him much of the information he possessed about the White Serpent and encouraged us to destroy her. When he went to the shore to perform the summoning ritual he felt a quickening of the force of magic within the sea and used his arcane vision to discover that several lines of mystical energy were being funneled to the Sea Dancer in the harbor.

He performed an incantation called the “Eyes of Fire†and with it was able to examine the ship in detail. Below the decks were several members of the Synod engaged in some sort of ritualistic spell that he believed to be a version of “Bridging the Worlds†a spell meant to pierce the veil between this land and that of the spirit realm of Annwyn. Meeting with his companions they all discussed the meaning of the spell and the use of human sacrifice and determined that “The Diplomat†must be trying to free or summon whatever foul beast was imprisoned within the Black Abbey. Arron encouraged the monks to pray and redouble their efforts on the wall; he even joined them while Jayme spent some time collecting arcane power to himself. Before settling to meditate, Jayme asked the water spirit if she could obscure their approach to the boat.

Arron has related the sensations he felt while polishing the wall and felt that it was something like the creature that chases you in your dreams. You can never see the beast but you can feel his fetid presence no matter how hard you try to escape.

Gathering themselves together the companions walked out into the surprisingly foggy night. At the shore line each of them was embraced by the water spirits and enveloped in her caress – afterward they were able to walk upon the waters as if they were firm earth. Jayme had prepared himself well by girding the 5th Fire of Elion, a destructive wave of fire that stretched from the palm of his hand to the far end of the boat. Torean has admitted to me that he was unaware that Jayme could command such vast reservoirs of power and was more than a little scared to realize that Jayme literally blew the ship apart before the enemy could react. Within moments, the ship gurgled to the bottom of the harbor. Neryn confirmed that the waters had claimed all but one of the shipboard inhabitants and that the one who escaped was beyond her ability to hold.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an excerpt from Jayme's journal...

The strangest things are thought of when you face death. I must write this down in my journal, lest I forget.

Last night, while standing, yes I was STANDING on the water, behind the Synod’s ship, the Sea Dancer. Just before I unleashed the power of Elan, in one of the most wondrous displays of might that I have yet seen. That ship was torn from Stern to stem and disappeared beneath the surface, where we were standing, as if it were never there.

My thoughts of late have been quite skewed; I shall start with my memory that began this chain of events. One that has been buried deep inside, where my thoughts rarely venture. I was but a whelp, too young to help my father, but too old to stay at home with the women folk.

On one fine summer day, I was exploring the rocks along the shore of the Braybrook River. What I was looking for does not matter. I got careless and slipped on a rock. The resulting fall brought a good portion of the bank that I was climbing on down with me. The last memory of that event was watching the sunlight glisten on the surface as the rocks and I sank down to the bottom of the Fjord.

I recall waking up on the shore with a very sore head. I never figured out how I had gotten from the bottom of the Fjord near the rocky embankment to the sandy beach; let alone how I survived the fall. What stayed with me was a feeling that there was something alive in the water. It could not be seen, it could not be touched and it darn near killed me.

From that day on, I stayed as far from the water as I could.

My father often chastised me for my fear of water, telling me that what I fear most shall be what will ultimately bring me to my death. My brother was merciless in his exploitation of my “fault” as he called it. Whenever he could, he would push, pull or drag me to one of the many channels of water that were always nearby. The net result of his torment was that I loathed any water where I could not see the bottom.

How I survived my younger days, I’ll never know; what with my brush with burning alive also. But that is another chapter in this journal.

While enjoying some R&R time after joining with father in our escape from the Ravenwoods, we had several days to recuperate. Feeling the natural return of Elan was wondrous. I found myself seeking solitude to regain what could not be gotten in those woods. On one such trip out, I met up with a Vintrian Druid who called himself Thorjack. In total, I spent the better part of four days deep in conversation with the wise old Druid. When I asked about the White Serpant, he suggested that I meet an acquaintance of his. What I met was beyond belief.

Thorjack led me to the nearby river, where he invited me to join him in the water. He knew that I was troubled, but convinced me that all was fine, and that if I helped him, my life would be changed forever.

For a good hour, he chanted a melodious tune to the four winds all the while throwing handfuls of water in all directions. It was as if he was inviting his best friend to join him. I had no idea what I was in for.

With no warning, Neryn, a water spirit arose in front of Thorjack, just off center between us. She was beautiful, she is water, but she had form! Women that I have known, pale in comparison to Neryn. She spoke, but she did not talk; yet I understood her. Thorjack introduced us to each other, and it was as if she had known me since birth. Little did I know, she had.

After I regained my composure, I asked her if she had ever heard of the White Serpent, or knew of the abyss in Therod, to which she repied Yes - on both counts. I listened closely as she explained to me how it was that she knew all that she knew.

I asked her if there was anything that she could teach me about my fear of water, and before I had finished my question, without hesitation she enveloped me. The pure feeling of safety and comfort immediately sprang forth. We were only waist deep in water, yet I was totally immersed in water. I was BREATHING water for an instant. As quickly as it had begun, she withdrew, and I now knew how it was that I survived that fall so many years ago, for it was Neryn who had rescued me.

As quickly as the wind changes direction, my life has now been changed ever so slightly.

I do not fear the water any more, because now I know that Neryn is there. She is everywhere that there is running water, her life force should be an inspiration to us all.

From the Personal Journals of Nagus Pantojan Justicar of Bryn.

"I will be within this cell for some time, please do not disturb me for I will emerge when the time is right." That said I settled into a meditation position and began to broaden my horizon. Casting out my conciousnes seeking what I dreaded was there waiting, but knowing that I must do something. "Nagus my son, not that way." I know that my Lord Bryn had saved me from stumbling into the clutches of a dark minon that was waiting.

"Nagus, the way to combat this evil is with positive emotion. Channel your love and compassion. That is the only way to reinforce the ward. You must help to strengthen it while your companions deal with the ones seeking to release this creature." I am not sure how much time passed before the drain upon my will finally abated, the source of the evil spell having been broken.

I awoke drenched in sweat, fealing very drained. I left the cell and went to check the black wall. "How goes the defense abbott?"

"Where did you come from, you disappeared from your cell and no one knew where you went?" as the abbott asked a number of his acolytes stopped and looked with strange looks upon the Justicar, seeing him in a new light. "Lord Abbott, do you think that he was the strength we sensed coming into the ward?"

"You give me too much credit, I am but a servant of Bryn doing as duty calls. Where are my companions? Have they returned?" That being said I felt the need to sit down, realizing just how tired and drained I was. "Does anyone have something to drink?" An acolyte brought water for me to drink and went back to the wall and began polishing it again. "Abbott, I now realize that you men have a high calling indeed, and I for one feel better knowing that you men are here. I think I will go rest, can someone wake me when my friends arrive?" That being said I retired again to my cell for some much needed rest.

• 2 weeks later...

A post for one of the PCs - This is a discussion between Arron and one of the Shield Knights that takes place after Arron was rescued from the School of Peers.

It was a rainy night; I was awoken by thunder and the realization that I was not alone in my bed. I reacted by jerking away violently and then I heard her voice.

“Aaron it is Jessiaâ€.

“What are you doing here?†I asked.

“I- I was freighted by the storm.â€

With out saying anything else she took my arm and wrapped herself up in it, and then she very gently kissed my cheek. She was asleep soon there after. I, however, did not sleep well at all.

Looking back now I realize that was the very moment that I stopped looking at Jessia as a friend and started seeing her as a young woman.

Several nights latter she snuck into my room, one thing Jessia is – is sneaky. She was always quiet as a mouse. I did not even know she was there until she had climbed into my bed. This time there weren’t any excuses, she just started kissing me. I kissed her back. Eventually we fell asleep in each other’s arms, the problem was that Jessia overslept.

“What have we got here!†a loud voice woke us.

It was Kark Len, one of Hiblis’s apprentices who regularly did some work around the school.

We both sprang out of bed and were red in the face.

“Well, well, well two little love birds I see. Don’t you have any decency?†he said reaching towards Jessia.

He grabbed her arm and violently shook her and called her some names I will not repeat. I felt an anger grow in me, I found the anger odd. I should have been ashamed, but it was also the way he was looking at here when he was saying those things.

I crossed the room before he even realized I had moved and then I struck him soundly in the nose - feeling a satisfying crunch of bone and flesh. Naturally he tried to defend himself but he was an apprentice mage, not a fighter. Nevertheless, he did manage to shove me off him, and then tried to cast some kind of spell. He might have finished if Jessia had not brought the chamber pot across his hands as he made what appeared to me to be some final gesture. Then he back handed her and, sent her to the ground where she did not move. I began the process of giving him a sound ass whooping when Prince Rafin and his guard entered the room.

“What is this?†The Prince asked

We both quickly straitened ourselves out and came to attention at his words, Jessia began to stir and shambled to her feet and joined us.

“I found these two in bed together this morning when they missed 1st bell, your highness, and when I broke them up this one (gesturing towards me) struck me.â€

“Go on with your duties†Rafin told Kark. “Aaron remain here. Jessia come with me.â€

The Prince was gone along time; it was nightfall by the time he returned.

“ aron, everyone was shocked by your behavior… except me,†the Prince began. “I spoke with Jessia and she explained the she had been freighted by a dream and, simply went to your room because you make her feel safe. She also said nothing bad happened, but the Mother Superior is not so quick to believe her story. I can smooth things over for you with the nuns. Hiblis, however, is very angry about his apprentice and demands satisfaction. I told him it was a misunderstanding but he is insistent that you be taught a lesson, so I have arranged a ‘Fair Fight’ with someone of Hiblis’s choosing but, Aaron I am afraid it won’t be a friendly fight so end it quickly if you have the chance.â€

“Is there no other way?†I begged

“I promise you this is best thing for everyone involvedâ€

So we left immediately to a place called “The Pitt†I still shiver thinking of the things that happened, that I did there, all to appease our ‘God’ Prince Rafin. When we arrived at the anteroom I saw Hiblis, who gave me a look that tuned my spine to jelly.

I started to pick up a staff but Rafin meet my gaze nodding towards the blades. I picked up a short sword instead; the Prince gave me a final nod of encouragement. I put on my leather vest and entered the pit.

The Pitt is a room on the lowest level of the school lit by torches - it is much too warm and smoky. The room smelled faintly of blood, probably still does.

When I entered, I did not see my opponent. Then suddenly I felt the sting of a sharp blow across my back and felt the warm trickle of blood down my back. I turned just in time to see the next blow aimed at my chest, but dodged back just enough that it did not penetrate my armor. I blocked the next blow and saw my chance. I drove my short sword nearly hilt deep into my attackers arm pit.

Only after my ‘attacker’ was on the ground did I realize that it was Jessia.

I quickly removed her helmet and gathered her up in my arms; I saw such fear and sadness in her eyes. She tried to speak but I had taken her in the lung. She did not die clean; she drowned in her own blood, weeping and struggling to breathe. I wept also. I was dragged from the Pitt, taken to a dark cell, and thrown in, for how long I do not know.

Dose that answer your question? That is how I can kill a man without blinking. At the age of 13, I killed my first love, and, after that, other people’s life has a lot less meaning for me.

-Aaron speaking candidly with a Shield Knight shortly after being rescued from the school of peers.

Part 15B

The companions laid low for several days listening to the gossip on the city streets. Though a wild town, Tharad was still buzzing with speculation over the sudden sinking of a ship in the harbor. Torean noted that the silvered mirror I had sent to him through the Mother Superior has gone missing but had difficulty determining exactly when – he and his companions assumed the Synod Mage had taken it while Torean was at the chantry. They were soon able to address the issue with Archon Haldun.

The Archon arrived at the Black Abbey and asked to visit with Jayme. In a fit of pique, Jayme made the mage wait more than an hour while he and his companions discussed what the Archon might want. Finally, Jayme and Alacran met with the Archon and his Mageblade in the Abbots office. Torean was listening in on the conversation from a nearby room. The two were cordial to each other much to everyone’s surprise. Haldun desired to know the details of what had occurred on the ship. At first Jayme denied any knowledge of it but when the Archon revealed that his Mageblade had been following them and watched them walk across the water toward the ship Jayme revealed the tale. Jayme admitted that he had destroyed the ship and had tried to kill the Synod Acolyte who was on board. Haldun seemed interested in the spell that the Acolyte had been trying to cast but made a point of reminding Jayme that on occasion sacrifices were necessary for the greater good and the use of such tools did not make the spell inherently evil.

As the Archon was leaving Jayme asked for Torean’s mirror to be returned, which elicited a dumbfounded stare. Haldun denied any knowledge of the mirror.

After the visit of the Archon Torean, Jayme, & Arron discussed the possibilities surrounding the loss of the mirror. Torean and Arron set out to see if perhaps the mirror might be in the hands of some less savory types. Several hours later they discovered the mirror in Shurmun’s Antiques. A squalid and smarmy gentleman offered to sell them the mirror but claimed to know little of its history. Torean, subtly pried away information that would lead him to the Open Heart Orphanage and a young girl named Tara.

Arron & Torean described the place to me; it nearly brought me to tears. A disgusting man Numerian ran the place as a cattle pen. The children were locked in a large open room that smelled of offal and urine. When the man opened the door to the children’s pen, yelling for Tara all of the kids cowered away from him. Soon, they were able to spot a small young lady who was trying to squeeze through some loose planking in the back. Arron had some strong words with the Numerian before leaving.

The tale would have ended here, or perhaps it should have ended here. The Numerian was a bubbling mass of snot and obeisance when the men left but Tara did not want to be taken away from her “children.†Sitting down with the girl the two discovered that the Orphange sold the children to K’sharin traders to be taken back to the Radiant Kingdoms as slaves. Torean has told me how Arron seemed to go into a rage, stalking back to the Orphanage. This time groveling did not save the Numerian. The children were taken by Arron & Torean who were able to speak with the Black Abbot about housing them until something could be done. By night fall, arraignments had been made for the children to be brought north to Highvale where they would be cared for by Lady Brennica. Arron would need a new staff.

Part 16A

The mirror had led Torean and the others to Tara and in turn Tara knew of the serpents in the caves. The enterprising little girl had been using the tunnels to steal small items and food for the children of the orphanage. A few months ago she had started to notice signs of movement in some of the sewage drains near the orphanage. Naturally curious, she had uncovered the lair of the White Serpent. After leading the men to the area where she no longer went, the young girl was taken back to the Abbey while the men prepared to descend into the dank limestone caverns beneath the city. Equipped and ready so they believed, the fools sought out the serpent in her lair.

Leaving the storm drains, they headed deeper into the bowels of the city through several natural caves. It was not long before it became apparent that Fyre was not comfortable in tight spaces – There is still some sort of hard feelings between Fyre and Arron about an incident where the Elemental Mage became stuck and panicky. Neither of them will speak of how the situation was resolved.

Portions of the cavern complex were the remains of the city from ages past. Natural or manmade the caverns were in terrible shape; often the walls were bulging or sheared away as the earth pressed in. One room nearly killed Torean and Arron, the walls where cracked and broken while the floor had sunk nearly 20 feet. While they worked their way down into the miasma of scummy water Arron felt lightheaded for just a moment before Torean brought the torch low. The explosion left Arron dazed and unconscious, his face was badly burned but most of it was superficial. After resting for a moment to gather their wits the party pushed on with the injured Arron still in the lead.

Torean recounted too many natural hazards to cover here but suffice to say, there were many scrapes and bruises from the underground navigation. Jayme, Fyre, & Alacran nearly died while the whole group was transversing running water that was waist high. Fyre & Jayme (I need to ask Torean how he was able to be around some much water in Tharad – last I recall he had to get skunk drunk in order to cross the Bray River just this spring) fell while crossing – luckily, or I guess unluckily they were all tied off to each other. In this case, the two mages and the river proved to be more than even mighty Alacran could manage – he also succumbed to the pull of the river. Seeing the three fallen comrades struggling in the rapidly moving water and understanding that he too was about to be pulled into the dark maw into which the river ran, Arron decided to cut the men free, knowing that he could do little else other than join them in their doom.

Their screams were quickly engulfed by the roar of the black pit leaving Torean and Arron alone in the dark. Knowing the area was riddled with open caverns and the ruins of previous ages the two said a silent prayer – may Ro bless their companions and hopefully deposit them somewhere safe.

Arron & Torean made their way further into the darkness.

Sometime later, Arron was shuffling down a narrow drainage tunnel when he came upon an open room. Luckily, he pulled his head back quickly enough that the Trollkin waiting in ambush were denied their prize. What followed was a frenzied chase through the 56 inch tall tunnel – Arron realized that the two were armed with Durazzo Great Pikes and within the tunnel he was sure to be killed by the weapons greater reach and thrusting ability.

Comically, once Arron reached the end of the tunnel the Trollkin realized that it was now they who were in a disadvantaged position. Torean managed to slay both with his throwing blades before they could retreat down the pipe.

Jayme, Fyre, & Alacran did not fare nearly so well. The ride through the flume was not a gentle one and left Fyre unconscious and drowning. Alacran fared nearly as bad – while hurt and bleeding he was conscious. He was also being drug under the water by the weight of his armor. Jayme was able to tread water and hold Fyre’s mouth above the waves until he came to a few seconds later. But Alacran had gone under.

We are almost through with the White Serpent affair - after I finish this arc I am going to try writing in a different style. I may introduce a character who will be "my" voice. Isolade sort of flew the coop and will be out of the whole monster slaying thing for a while.

The party will be wintering over for a few months and then heading to Inverness to deal with the troll raids there and so much more. :bmk:

Part 16B

In the blackness of the cave Fyre struggled to command the powers of the wind. Feeling more than seeing his friend awake, Jayme dove into the cold waters to find the missing warrior.

Meanwhile, Arron & Torean had begun to chase down the only remaining Trollkin. They dashed through a number of rooms, twisting and turning until they finally caught up with the beast as he was trying to navigate the side of a sink hole. The poor fella never stood a chance.

Safely on the shore of the underground pool Jayme, Fyre, & Alacran rested too beaten to shiver. Eventually, Jayme regained enough strength to summon a globe of fire that they might use to examine their surroundings with. The cave was very large but natural. The wet mages and their guardian had not finished their search when a loud smacking sound alerted them to a sink hole high in the cave ceiling.

Rejoining their companions at last, the party settled in to rest and eat before pushing on. A long corridor lead them into another open cavern complex with numerous stalactites & stalagmites joined the broken floor to the equally damaged ceiling. Torean indicated that they suspected that the White Serpent must be close by – this cavern had several well traveled passage ways that lead into it and was guarded by nearly a dozen lesser trollkin. The fight was quick and brutal and the noise was obscured by the distant roar of the waterfall or at least they hoped it was.

Down a narrow tunnel the men found what appeared to be an open market – much like you would find in the heart of a city. Perhaps once it had been above ground? Either way, there was a large open well at the center that whistled with the wind. Carefully, the party made its way to the edge of the well. The first sign of battle was a greater trollkin rushing from behind a boulder and attempting to hurtle Arron into the well. Taking their cue from the greatest, several lesser trollkin also moved into attack. The battle had begun in earnest.

Arron danced with the Greater Trollkin at the edge of the pit but quickly became concerned with the increasing sound of the wind rushing out at him. Luckily, Alacran was able to distract the Trollkin long enough for Arron to turn and face the serpentine horror that emerged from the well. Tenebrous. Seething. Even the sight of the thing made the men sick at their stomachs – battling the forty foot creature would take much more than steel.

Turning from the Greater Trollin – both mages summoned their powers to them and began to wear at the beast. The trollkin was left to Alacran. The battles raged in the gloomy cavern but Torean has told me that all the party emerged remarkably unscathed. Unable to withstand the magical onslaught, the Serpentine Horror plunged back into the well – where it hopefully died.

Arron joined Alacran and the two overmatched the Trollkin in short order. With the last of their foes down, the men barely had enough time to wipe the gore from their blades before a haunting voice called to them from just beyond the light. “Who are you and why do you come into the lair of the White Serpent?â€

Torean told me of that moment – for the life of him, he could not recall a reason why they had decided to chase the White Serpent though it was he who was the prime mover in this whole affair. Arron answered the question in what is becoming his stock answer – by drawing a dagger that had been discovered earlier and moving into do battle. Arron & Alacran fought the White Serpent, who could have destroyed either of them alone and thanks be to Ro that luck was on our side and neither of the men were seriously hurt by her.

We have won so many battles in this way – a quick efficient offense that destroys and enemy before they have time to mount their own offensive. Much of our success has relied on luck and speed but I fear what will happen if someday the luck is with our foe?

Torean and the others quickly searched the caverns and took everything that might be of use with them back to the Abbey.

NOTES: This is the first time the party has gotten “loot.†Early on in the cave they found a body that was long decayed and had been crushed in some sort of drain. The body had a suit of light chain armor on and a golden filigreed Mordha dagger. The party was able to make out the Dragon Crest of Vintria. Most likely the man died over 400 years ago, when this territory was occupied by Vintria.

White Serpent Loot:

A book called The Mirror of History – it is a thick tome that has some mold damage on the cover and spines. It is written in Old-Kratian.

Within the book are several correspondences, written in a male hand. Using these items – it is possible to piece together the White Serpents history [see White Serpent Write-Up]

The White Serpent

Player:

Val Char Cost
25 STR 15
20 DEX 30
18 CON 16
13 BODY 6
15 INT 5
17 EGO 14
20 PRE 10
8 COM -1
10 PD 5
10 ED 6
5 SPD 20
9 REC 0
36 END 0
35 STUN 0
9" RUN69" SWIM75" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 139

Cost Power END
27 Fangs: HKA 2 1/2d6 (40 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2) 4
64 Venom: RKA 5d6, NND (appropriate LS: Immunity; +1), Does BODY (+1) (225 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), Fangs Must Do BODY (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute (1d6/Turn); -1/2) [4]
30 Ennwrathi Form: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% 0
30 Ennwrathi Form: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% 0
8 Ennwrathi Form: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED) 0
27 Ennwrathi Form: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Minute; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity Immortal) 0
24 Serpentine Command: Mind Control 12d6 (Animal Class class of minds) (60 Active Points); Only Versus Serpents (-1 1/2) 6
16 Assume Human Form: Shape Shift (Sight and Touch Groups), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (16 Active Points) 1
60 Master Of Serpents: Summon 16 200-point Serpents, Slavishly Devoted (+1) (120 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2) 12
Powers Cost: 286

Cost Skill
10 +2 with HTH Combat
4 Animal Handler 17- (11 Active Points); snakes only (-1 1/2)
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Seduction 13-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Tracking 12-
7 Stealth 15-
12 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain, Underground, Urban) 12-
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
5 Language: Old Kratian (idiomatic; literate)
Skills Cost: 60

Cost Talent
3 Environmental Movement (no penalties on water)
6 Beast Speech (15 Active Points); snakes only (-1 1/2)
Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 494

Val Disadvantages
20 Distinctive Features: Snake Woman (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Hunted: Forces of Good 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Hag Covey 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
10 Dependence: Living Flesh Takes 3d6 Damage (Extremely Difficult To Obtain, 1 Week)
25 Psychological Limitation: Utterly Evil (Very Common, Total)

Disadvantage Points: 80

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 339

Total Experience Available:

Experience Unspent: 0

The Story Starts with The Ringmaster - Baron Kaleburn. Two decades ago Baron Kaleburn was a minor noble lord from western Middea. Greedy and ambitious, there was little he would not do to advance the standing of his house. He taxed harshly, demanding nearly everything from his small folk. This led him into conflict with the Duchess of Ormond who brought the miser to task for unsettling her peasants.

The young lordling deeply resented being shamed by a woman and sought some way to gain revenge for the slight. Eventually, he found himself allied with the warrior mage Salem. This strange man worked slowly within the house of Kaleburne, eventually corrupting the entire house. Salem also bore a grudge against the Duchess but the origin of that grudge has never been revealed. Together Salem and Lord Kaleburne moved against the Duchess, while they managed to slay the heir of the house, the two were ultimately defeated. In despair, the Baron took his family with Salem to confront the wizard's hidden masters. Too late, he discovered that he had placed his whole family at the mercy of a covey of hags. Realizing the depth of his folly the Baron attempted to escape. His usefulness had passed, but the hags had one more task for the nobleman. They took his wife and left the Baron with his infant daughter and a curse. The women of the line of Kaleburn hereafter will desire the taste of flesh as the baron desired the gold of his people.

Befrit and cursed, the Baron and his daughter began to wander the lands as thieves surviving as best as they could but his daughters unholy appetite began to surface. As she gave in to her hunger, she began to display more prominent snake like features. Early in her teens, the Baron encountered a circus and struck upon the idea of hiding her within the freak show. The mobile nature of the circus would also hide her grisly feeding habits. At first, Lord Kaleburn was hard pressed to hide his daughters feeding but with puberty, she developed powers that helped ensure that they met no opposition within the circus. Eventually they decided to remove the prior owners at which time he assumed the moniker of Baron.

The White Serpent is a predatory beast with humanity providing her sustenance and she is not malnourished. The White Serpent has no compassion for the suffering of men. In fact, the only human emotions that she truly understands are hunger & desire.

Golden Armor of Vintria - Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Invisible - with Fringe; +1/2) (34 Active Points); Protects Locations 8-13 (-1 1/4), Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4)

This fine mesh chain - if it can even be called that - is composed very small ring that are about 1/3 the diameter of normal chain. It was made to be sewn into a tunic making it diffifcult to percieve unless one is actually examining the clothes (Invisibilty with fringe). While it has yet to be tested, the mages of the party believe that the armor will stop a touch from one of the incopreal Ennwrathi (Affects Desolid prevents a NND/Drain/Transfer that is based on an incorpreal creature touching the victim such as Specters).

Mordha Dagger: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (+1 OCV, Pure - Bane versus Ennwrathi), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (Focus - Unreal Weapon; -1) PLUS 3 points Power DEF - only versus Corruption.

A finely crafted blade of Mordha make. It is filigreed with golden inscriptions along the blade and glows with power whenever evil is near.

Re: No Dominion - A FH Story HourThe new POV character - Cetric VolkaderPlayer: NPC

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
20 DEX 30
18 CON 16
11 BODY 2
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
18 COM 4
6/25 PD 3
4/16 ED 0
4 SPD 10
7 REC 0
36 END 0
28 STUN 0
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 88
Cost Power END
3 Sense of the World: +1 PER with all Sense Groups 0
5 Fear not the Shadows: Nightvision 0
2 Cling to Form: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); (Versus Transformational Attacks.; -1 1/2) 0
13 Mortal Weakness: LS (Immunity Disease; Longevity 400 Years; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0
Powers Cost: 23
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 4d6 Strike, Target Falls
3 Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Block, Target Falls
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
4 Weapon Bind: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 25 STR
3 Weapon Element: Blades, Empty Hand, Staffs
Martial Arts Cost: 21
Cost Skill
0 PS: Ranger (Everyman) 11-
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Flora & Fauna (3 Active Points) 12-
1 2) KS: Heraldry (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) KS: Legend Lore (2 Active Points) 11-
1 4) KS: Nobility (2 Active Points) 11-
3 Traveler
2 1) AK: Country: Middea (3 Active Points) 12-
1 2) AK: Mystical Places (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) AK: Western States (2 Active Points) 11-
1 4) CK: Chandra (2 Active Points) 11-
1 5) CuK: Mordha - Elves (2 Active Points) 11-
2 Animal Handler (Equines) 12-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Concealment 12-
2 Navigation (Land) 12-
3 Riding 13-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
4 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Mountain) 12-
3 Tracking 12-
Combat Skills
5 1) Analyze: Combat 13-
3 2) Analyze: Magic 12-
5 3) WF: Melee, Missile, Staffs
3 4) Fast Draw 13-
10 5) +1 Overall
Skills Cost: 72
Cost Perk
5 Contact: Kaedyn (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources) 11-
Perks Cost: 5
Cost Talent
3 Perfect Pitch
2 Trackless Stride
Talents Cost: 5
Cost Equipment END
$950 Sword, Broad/Long: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 10 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Body 5__Def 5] 0
$380 Halberd: (Total: 59 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6+1 (Set, Unhorse), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 15 (-3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 15) plus Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only To Cause Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: Body 6 Def 4__2H, Long, Set, Unhorse] 0
$2 Quarterstaff: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus +1 OCV (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: Body 4_Def 3_Length M] 0
$800 Arbalest: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); STR Minimum 16 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time (2 Extra Phases, -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), no horse (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (6 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: Body 6 Def 4_Range 150"] [4 rc]
$2145 Heavy Chain: Armor (6 PD/3 ED) (14 Active Points); Normal Mass (-1), (Protects Locations 7-16; -3/4), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
$185 Full Helm : Armor (8 PD/4 ED) (18 Active Points); (Protects Locations 3-5; -2), Normal Mass (-1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
$58 Horsemans Boots: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); (Protects Locations 17-18; -2), Normal Mass (-1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
$30 Leather Gloves: Armor (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); (Protects Location 6; -2), Normal Mass (-1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
$7000 Bracers of the Wilderness: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); Independent (-2), IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +4 with Survival (8 Active Points); Independent (-2), IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Detect Terrain features 16- (Mental Group) (14 Active Points); Independent (-2), IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) [Notes: 7,000 gp] 0
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Mordha (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Hunted: Mordha Leadership 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
5 Hunted: Kaedyn 8- (Mo Pow, Watching)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Corruption Attacks (Uncommon)
10 Psychological Limitation: Introverted (Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Short tempered (Common, Moderate)
Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 100Experience Required: 64Total Experience Available: 56Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 214

Height: 1.89 m Hair: Green
Weight: 94.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Many Celestine display some trait of their divine heritage but the blood in Cetric does little to alter his outward appearance. Other than his vivid green eyes that dance from starkly serious to darkly humorous without warning, he can easily pass as a human. Cetric is of median height for one of the Celestine, standing just over 6 feet. The warrior is also well built with an athletic form. Cetric dress well within city walls but assumes typical woodsman’s garb while traveling.Personality: Cetric wants to repay the debt to the only people who have ever been kind to him. He constantly struggles with his rage which leads him to appear distant and quiet.Quote:Non-violence is the policy of the vegetable kingdom.Background: Cetric was born the penniless son of a harlot. His mother the worst sort of woman, unable to even guess who his father might have been. He was neglected by his mother who resented the niggling little brat who destroyed her figure. Alone, he learned to survive on the streets of Chandra.

A lucky encounter saved him from the fate of many children who live on the streets. One of the Celestine felt the call of the blood in the young child and took him in. The Celestine, a warrior named Kaedyn, took the troubled child away from Chandra to Ehelenastra where he could be properly trained and educated. The years on the streets and the neglect had deeply scared the youth and created a profound anger that was impossible to remove entirely. In Ehelenastra, Cetric learned from the finest warriors in the world. He mastered both nature and warcraft with equal ease but never developed anything resembling even a passing mastery of magic.

For a decade Cetric perfected his skills before returning to Middea and his old haunts in the city of Chandra. Even with the torment, Cetric felt a longing to see his mother but was unable to find trace of her. Soon, he left the city and traveled to the county of Highvale where he would begin working to pay off the debt to his people.

Kaedyn continues to watch Cetric, fearing that he has created a killing machine. No matter how much hate was taken from Cetric, more was always bubbling under the surface.

Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: Cetric is a companion to the players but he brings with him a number of liabilities.

Sitting up with a start, I realized that he had to leave right now to complete his task. Gathering his things he left his room and walked out to leave the Black Abbey.

"Your friends have not returned yet, are you going out to join them?" The Abbott asked. "No, I have to follow a different path, tell them that I will rejoin them soon." That said I saddled his horse and rode out. He rode thru the night and most of the next day heading northeast. I made camp in a wooded vail and prepared for the upcoming day, it would be challenging.

The next morning I dressed for battle and headed north. Cresting the hill I found what I knew would await me, a small farmsteed being attacked by raiders. I spured my horse on and charged into the farm, riding down one of the raiders.

"Who are you?" one of them asked as he turned to me. "For you I am death, and I have come for you." That said I knocked his blade aside and took his head with a backhand stroke. The remaining raiders were fleeing the sceen, realizing that to stay is to die.

I cleaned my sword upon the cloak of the slain man, and sheathed it. "Come out Kenji, I know you are in the loft." A startled gasp came from within the loft of the barn, followed by a young boy leaving the barn. "How did you know I was there sir, and my name?" The young boy was very shaky walking out.

"Kenji, Lord Bryn has sent me to find you, I am sorry that I was too late to save your parents, however know that they go to next realm knowing that justice has been served. Lord Bryn sent me forth to find you, for you are to become one of us, a Justicar of Bryn in due time if you chose to follow the path."

"My lord, I am just a boy, I am not for such greatness you must have the wrong person."

"Kenji, I am not a lord. I am, if you chose so, a brother in the service of Bryn. You must understand that Bryn does not take the high born into his service. You see, the powerful and the rich usually do not understand or seek true justice. I myself was found by my mentor as a baby, abandoned at a shrine by my parents because I was born different, with these intense blue eyes and white hair from birth."

"You must realize that this is not a life of luxury, it is a life of service to the greater good of mankind. What do you think Kenji, what does your heart tell you?"

"Will you teach me to use one of those?" Kenji said while pointing at the sword.

"In time Kenji, but first we must train the mind and heart, only then is the body ready to learn." "What say you Kenji are you ready to join our very small brotherhood?"

"Yes, m'lord, uhh what is your name sir, I don't even know?"

"I am Najus, Justicar of Bryn." "We will be traveling to High Vale to meet another Justicar, gather your things that you need and prepare to depart."

Later that day the two walked side by side leading the horse and talking, the road was long but it would be a good journey for brotherhood makes the road more pleasant.

Do you have all of the major NPCs set up in Hero Designer?

Yeah, I have a pretty large hunk of them in HD 2 - plus various prefabs for weapons, armor, & skills. I will see about posting them but it will be Friday or Saturday before I can find the time.

Randy

That would be great. I'd love to see them when you have the time.

Thanks for being a great resource and the entertaining reading. This sounds like a game I would love to participate in with all of you. I prefer this style of play with limited magic items, strong characters, and a good story.

Thanks for being a great resource and the entertaining reading. 
This sounds like a game I would love to participate in with all of you. 
I prefer this style of play with limited magic items, strong characters, 
and a good story.

Eosin does a fantastic job of keeping it interesting for all concerned.

He lets the charactors get as involved as they want to,

or in as much Kimchi as they can stomach. :sick:

I would have thought that a GM of this calibur would be hard to find, but our group is blessed with another also.

See the link below for the exploits of the Omega Team when Torean runs the show and Eosin is a PC. :thumbup:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13463

No, I am not schmoooooozing for anything, :snicker: just agreeing with the statement that this campaign is a blast to be a part of. :winkgrin:

We are now trying to produce our PC's timeline for the few months before we go kill us some Trolls. Here again, we can go into as much detail as we want to, but still remain within the constraints of the campaign.

:hail:

BTW Eosin, Great avatar!

Journal Entry -- Torean Norhill

Following is an excerpt from the personal journal of Torean Norhill (wintering over at Castle Ridgewall)

--------------------------------------------------

As I write these lines another cold winter night descends upon the Castle Ridgewall. The chill in the air makes one grateful for the huge fireplace here in the greathall. Even now the nights are shortening and I know that soon the snows will melt away and the spring rains will return. With the coming of spring my companions and I will start our trek northward.

I have always been a bard—an entertainer—but now I find that I spend more time preparing myself for battle than for song. As we settled down for our winter stay, I spent many hours in the stables practicing with my knives. I simply constructed a crude target and got on with it. I cared not if I had an audience of stablehands; most soon lost interest and ignored me as they continued with their work. However, the old man Granik did not loose interest, he watched me intently for a week.

One day he finally spoke to me. “Ya haf talent lad. If yas tae put yer mind tae it you could a mite better.â€

Stunned, I recognized the accent of the wild folk in him and I was intrigued. What was one of the wild folk doing working as a stable hand in Ridgewall Castle? Granik explained to me how he owed a “life debt†to captain Jorious (one of the cavalrymen stationed at the castle) and because of that he had remained here for the last five years. I asked him what this debt might be, but Granik would not talk of it. He seemed to consider it a personal matter. I decided not to press the issue.

“Wit yer talent ya had nae limit yerself tae them wee blades. A rock sas deadly as a dagger if ya nue wot yer doing.†This was my introduction to the first Erenn Athan Re I have ever met. I guess it is an honor to me that Granik trusted me enough to share that part of his past.

“Em gittin on in yers. Its time fer me tae be pass’n on wot I nue. Asides lad I’ve a feeling ‘at yule be need’n all the skill ye kin git.†I became a pupil of this old man and he showed me things I though were only fable. Granik was an Erenn throwing master and he taught me how almost any item can be thrown for effect, “if ye no wot yer doing.â€

I have been training for nearly two months with Granik. It has been a hard two months. Granik says that he is teaching me skills that normally take a year to master, but he knows that we do not have the luxury of that much time. I spend two, or more, hours a day in the stable learning what he can teach me. Fortunately being cooped up in the castle all winter affords one this much time.

I can now sink a coin nearly three inches into a solid timber. I almost can’t say how I do it. It is just a flick of the wrist. I seem to know the right way to throw anything that I pick-up. Granik says it’s a natural talent that I’ve always had, that he just helped me realize it. I am grateful for the teachings of the old man. I fear his statement about me needing all the skill I can get may prove to be prophetic.

I wonder what we will find in the north? Just how bad has the situation beco…

At this point Torean abruptly stops his writing as a page arrives and informs him that it is time. Isolade has gone into labor. Torean dashes off leaving his quill still damp and his inkwell uncovered.

Here is a zip file of 30'ish people and monsters from the game. I also included the weapons and armor charts from our game as well as a few other prefabs.

Some of the critters are obsenely powerful and have no real use "in game" but I made them up anyway (All of the "BBEG" character sheets).

I have a dozen that are only half done at this point, like Black Trolls and I will try to post them when they are complete.

And it helps to attach.

I guess while I am at it - It might help to explain some things.

1. Piercing is per the old rules, 3 points for a +1 and it ignores a point of armor.

2. The game is akin to the Greek legends - characts have some stats that rise above 20, DCs fall into the 6-10 range, and combat values can get fairly high.

3. Some of the characters are taken from myth - FREX, Sir Ector and his Freelancers are analogous to Achilies and his Myrmadons.

4. Some spells are noted by name instead of being stated out - in cases such as this, you can find the spell in FHG I or FHG II.

5. Have fun and let me know what you thnk.

:bmk:

Wintering: A brief synopsis of the months spent wintering over.

Torean & Isolade: In her condition Isolade was not fit to travel so the couple along with Mother Onna remained at Ridgewall. There were some complications in the pregnancy but the end result was the birth of twin daughters, Jael & Jainna. After the birthing Torean returned to tell Grannik, the mystic throwing master of the birth but found the old man dead.

Mother Onna seemed disturbed after the birth and retired to her chambers. She woke up from a nightmare that night in a fit of screaming. Onna & Isolade spoke later in the morning – her dreams had been prophetic and concerned the twins. They were not good dreams.

Jayme Wingate fist traveled to the County of Northrun which he is due to inherit someday. Northrun is in the Eastern Marches (nearby). Much of the time was spent learning the lay of the land. He also found solace in the company of the water spirit Neryn. Jayme heard news that the king had brought a large retinue to Orenstone (His father’s castle) and that the horde of nobles would be wintering there.

Frye returned with Arron to Highvale. The mage spent months pouring over a mystical tome found in the lair of the White Serpent seeking to unlock its secrets. While he was in Highvale he also sold his share of the smithy, a sell which landed him a substantial sum of money.

As noted Arron returned to Highvale to supervise the children that he had sent ahead. Interestingly, the killer has found a soft spot for the young girl Tara who helped them in Tharad. Tara now lives with Arron but frequently stays with a nanny when Arron is hunting or gone for more than a few hours. The girl is learning well and if not for her size and strength she would make a fine warrior. Arron has occasionally been pushed near to breaking with her habit of stealing things instead of paying for them.

The actions of Nagus & Leonidas during the winter are still pending.

I will try to get this weekends adventure posted soon – most of the party was left wounded or worse with an enemy chasing them who will use any tool available.

Part 17A - POV is Cetric whose character sheet is on the previous page.

The winter snows still gathered at the base of Ridgewall, blown under the shading eves of the wall but spring was coming. Arron, Frye, and I (Cetric) stood by the great hearth and warmed ourselves after the long journey from Highvale. None of us are particularly talkative even under normal circumstances but tired and cold from the road we were unfit company. If only the officious castellan of Ridgewall would recognize that.

Blessedly the stay was a short one, within a few days of our arrival we were preparing to set out again. The first stop would be Brayport and then on to Orenstone where Lady Isolade would remain with her children while the rest of us journeyed on toward Enverness. Reluctantly, I attended the night’s festivities that were to be a sending off party for our group. Lord Jayme sat at the high table with Prince Andris & his brother Lord Jhoren but by mid evening they dismissed themselves. Shortly a smooth faced page in the prince’s livery summoned several of us into the antechamber of his quarters.

The room was well appointed. Tapestries hung on every wall to help stave off the chill. They were old and fading but still quite valuable works depicting the past heroes of Middea. One was of Sojen. “All flames must cast a shadow.†An old proverb among the Mordha.

Both the Prince and his nephew were young. They each have a youthful type of charisma and infectious smiles. The kind of charisma that believes anything is possible. Fools.

A soft little nobleman named Sarvos waited in the chamber with the Prince. It seems he needed to travel to Redhel to deliver some type of message for Calder Middlebrook. We were going to escort him since it is one our way. Later there were jokes about being the Prince’s lackeys, who is fooling whom? Anyway you look at it we are governed by his fate. If he fails so does Duke Wingate and those who stand to inherit from him will have a poor future. Middean politics were always expedient.

The roads to Brayport were largely empty of anything but mud and rain. It slowed our travels but nothing beyond what we expected. The bard, Torean, has family in Brayport who run an inn called the Lucky Monkey in the nicer parts of town, a place for merchants and the like who want to be entertained and are not afraid of spending coin to get it. Brayport was bustling with early spring traffic from the Danmhor Sound. There was news of the king’s excesses this winter in Orenstone. It seemed that the good duke had nearly impoverished himself keeping the royal court fed and entertained. It would be a hard year for Wingate. That bastard of a king did not pay for the seasonal war with Lorain already but now he was making direct moves to bankrupt Wingate before the fighting season started.

I loitered around some of the furrier shops and spoke to several hunters who were dumping furs for coin. They smelled worse than the animals they hunted but if anyone would have news of the mountains it was them. A more surly and suspicious lot you will rarely find but buy them a few drinks and you might as well be their long lost brother. A hunter named Laric had seen signs of Vindel movement near Ingelstone, something more than their usual raiding patterns. There was fanciful talk of trollkin and the like driving them from their mountain raiding camps but nothing more than rumors.

Still, we did not dally long in Brayport before setting out for Orenstone. The lands of Wingate are well cultivated and patrolled. The farms of bannerettes dot the countryside even in the frosty mornings serfs were tending to their animals and fields preparing for the planting season that was just around the corner. Orenstone was another matter entirely. The surrounding lands were stripped of edible animals, pastures were mucked under from the hooves of shod horses and the peasants looked as if they spent the winter in a warzone. The inner bailey was patch worked filth where many of the lesser nobles from the royal court had pitched tent. The Dukes servants had already begun clean up but the royal pigs had not even dug privies. I don’t like many folks but this king ranks right on top of my list of ********’s. To top it off we would be staying in this cesspool for several days.

Jayme, Arron, & Nagus spent time with the duke and were relieved of coin for their efforts. All three are seeking lands in Northrun, well I guess Jayme is not since it will be his someday but he spent the winter building a small place up there. The other two needed land which I take it they got. There was a good deal of talk about which particular pieces of land. Both men wanted crenellation and according to some musty old law only the king can grant such a right but let’s face facts – he ain’t granting anybody rights to fortify who owes fealty to Wingate. They got around that little loop hole by taking estates that were abandoned 18 years ago when the province was sacked by Lorain. Technically, those deeds still carry the right of fortification. I wonder why they don’t just give the king the finger and be done with it? All this dancing when any fool can see that it will come to open combat.

Relieved of the need to watch over the lady and her infants, I expected we would make good time. The road was decidedly more relaxed without a woman at the campfire. I wonder about the justicar Nagus, dealing with the immortals is never a smart thing – hell, I am the child of one and even I know better than that. He gives me the creeps. I think he may be one of those sicko’s who are into death, everywhere we went he would stare at any dead animals or the bodies of condemned criminals at the crossroads. Sometimes he would murmur to himself or squint and listen, once he asked me if I heard something like the dead was talking to him. I rode up to the front of the party to do some scouting after that. Sometimes if you look at his albino skin, he could pass for one of the dead himself.

We were making camp a day or so outside of Claypool when we ran into a Shield Knight. If Nagus is creepy these guys are down right unwholesome. I don’t like the idea of any armored warrior somehow being above the law and I darn sure don’t like it when it is impossible to know who is in the armor. Torean, Frye, and Arron seemed to know more about them than anyone. I overheard Jayme explaining to Alacran that the founder of Middea made provisions for the knights in the “Nosh Nog Re†- The Book of Law during its foundation incase any of his nobles or inheritors deemed it necessary to trod over the small folk. Sojen and the Druids crafted 13 sets of armor with a wierding on them to protect the identity of the wearer and appointed men to pursue justice through the land with impunity from the crown. These were the same knights who rescued Arron & Frye from the School of Peers.

After a dinner stringy rabbit stew, Arron suddenly confided in the knight that he had spoken with a wise woman last spring and she told him to beware of the twelve facing the thirteen. I guess Arron had suddenly put the pieces together. He told the knight and us about the Thirteen Shield Knights who fell to the sorcerer Arleth Crow three-hundred years ago. The Head of the order and several of the other corrupted knights were killed in the intervening years of warfare but only one set of the armor was ever recovered. The Twelve must be the corrupted Shield Knights from ages past. Now, that is something that will help you sleep on a chilly spring night.

The knight left us early the next morning but not before warning of Vindel movement. We spent the next day at Claypoole. The waters there are hot and imbued with healing properties. Spending the day taking off the grime in hot springs was wonderful but the town lacked for companionship. The Earl of Poole was welcoming to Jayme.

3 days later we find ourselves returning to Claypoole with more than 40 Vindel refugees who had come through the Ironwoods. Vindel should not be this far from the mountains.

Jayme was left with the decision to leave the toothless old men and the whelps of the clan to be killed by a patrol or escort them back and try to convince the Earl to put them up. Jayme and Arron could not leave them to die. I am sure that anyone of them would have gladly stuck those wicked looking weapons that they carry into our sleeping skulls for the meager amount of rations that we carry. We got them to Claypoole just before the blizzard stuck. It is late season for such a powerful storm but they happen. Ten days spent cooped up with Vindel, what would my mother think of me now?

We finally made the trip to Middlebrook, the capitol of Redhel. Smoke was coming from fires that smoldered in parts of the sacked city. The city had been massacred and something waited in there for us, waited among the 3,000 bodies that were feeding the crows. It dawned on me that the Vindel had saved our lives - we would have been here when the city was attacked. It also dawned on the soft little nobleman who cluched at his scroll case and started to look sick.

I will get to the monster battle as quick as I can.

Quote of the Game:

Arron/Audie: "Hell, this is a death trap"

To which I smugly replied "Why yes it is."

I have not been able to play in a while so I thought this would give some good BG for Eosin to play with.... :angst:

My character is Leonius who was a warrior in an elite company known as the Immortals. He was being groomed to assassinate the emperor of Vintria when he relized how horrible the man who had saved him from the Gladiator ring was. Instead of killing the Emperor on the night chosen Leonius instead killed his master, Tiberius. This set off a chain of events that forced Leonius to flee from his home while those that were at one time his brothers in arms were sent to bring him back for justice. He has been on the run for nearly four years when he met with the group. Please forgive my meager writing skills..... :stupid:

I got out of bed as the serving girl finished buttoning her blouse. The air was crisp and made my skin pimple up as I left the warmth of the blankets. She smiled and whispered something as I gave her one last kiss before she left. Her scent lingered in the room as I grabbed my robe and sat to finish the wine and cheese that had brought her to my chamber in the first place. Savoring the last bite of a pungent white cheese I reflected on day’s events. The droll meeting with the baron and his cronies, training with the guards, planning our search of the White Serpent… Gods I would as soon jump off the turrets than sit through another day like this. I had always thought that the business of royalty was boring. They never seem to realize that most of us could care less about what they want. Especially since when they want something it usually means those of us who serve them must die so they can get it. Of course the Duke and his men are not near as belligerent as those two mages. With all their posturing and greater than though attitudes, at times it’s all I can do to keep from putting my blade between their shoulders. I wonder how well their precious magic’s would serve them then. Ah but my mood is foul and I’m not sure why. I think I have been cooped up in this fortress too long. I have not stayed in one place too long since I left Vintria. I guess the wanderlust had grabbed me, or maybe because I know they are after me, my former brothers. I have no fear of facing them; I guess that I am just tired of killing those that I once called brothers. Oh well, let them come and they will remember why I was called the Black Lion. As I filled my glass again I tried to recall my first day in the pits. Though I hate Ticho he taught me my craft well. That reminds me, I still need to pay him a visit, and I still owe him. The wind started to howl through the window and the temperature dropped enough in the room so as not to feel the fire. As I rose to close the window I noticed a flicker. Grabbing my dirk I head towards the window. I guess I was lucky but the man crouching on my sill must have angered the gods somehow. I started at him for a moment before grabbing the lamp and smashing it on his back. He screamed briefly as he lost his balance and fell. As I watched him plummet to the ground below I wondered if those down beneath thought he was a falling star. He did flame brilliantly.

I knew they would find me; it was just a matter of time. It never fails that no matter how far I go they are always there. I scanned the balcony to see if there were anymore intruders. The only sign I saw was a rope a few feet away but it was slack. Chances are he was the scout. Surely they were not stupid enough to send just one man. The eyes of the Immortals range far and wide. I knew I had stayed too long in one place and was stupid to think that I may be safe here. As I secured the window I heard a rap on my door. Cautiously I cracked it with sword in hand it was my beautiful serving girl with another pitcher of wine, this time with two goblets. She smiled as I opened the door and let her in. As I turned to close the door behind her I began to feel strange. Suddenly everything swooned and I could feel my face pressed against the stone floor. I tried in vain to move my body but it betrayed me. My beautiful maid was now crouched over me still smiling and then everything was clear. I knew she looked familiar. It had been so long since I had been in Tiberius’s palace that I had forgotten what his daughter looked like. My, what a beautiful woman she had become. Then everything started to fade, the last thing I remember hearing is her soft voice, whispering “Hello Lionius, I have come to collect my revenge.â€