need opinions on Disadvantages

animemun001

Do these disadvantages make sense for a character with this character concept?

3d6 unluck [link: seduction skills -1/2]

Susceptibility: seducing [ 1d6 AID to unluck per day]

Reputation (low powered Hero) 14 or less, most hero groups

Normal Character maxima

the concept: Multibillionaire gets super powers a year after his wife goes missing (the aliens took her back after she gave birth to his daughter) granted he gained them only after he went wife hunting and ended up dating the corporate killer that had been hired to kill him. His few gadget creation skills are no where near up to the task most super humans have (30pt VPP gadgets) and the powers he gained from running away from his would be killer into the his companies R&D just gave him the power to enchance other people or with great concentration heal them. certainly not one to sit on side lines he has attempted to join most hero groups (like the ones that are government sponsored or that where in the newspapers that day) but of course he was one of those that needed to be needed (his company runs just as easily without him there than with him there) So he keeps looking and so far no one has wanted him except as stay at the base and heal us type.

Re: need opinions on Disadvantages

Originally posted by animemun001

Do these disadvantages make sense for a character with this character concept?

3d6 unluck [link: seduction skills -1/2]

Susceptibility: seducing [ 1d6 AID to unluck per day]

Disads don't have Power Modifiers. Why give him Unluck on Seduction? Just don't buy him that Skill. Similarly, instead of the Susceptibility, give him Vulnerability: PRE Skills, x2 Effect.

Also, I don't see how either of these really connect with the background you've provided, but that's neither here nor there.

Re: Re: need opinions on Disadvantages

Originally posted by devlin1

Disads don't have Power Modifiers. Why give him Unluck on Seduction? Just don't buy him that Skill. Similarly, instead of the Susceptibility, give him Vulnerability: PRE Skills, x2 Effect.

Also, I don't see how either of these really connect with the background you've provided, but that's neither here nor there.

see what I'm going for is the fact that when ever he does seduce someone it's always doomed, if not right away then after several days. also disad's can have power modifiers, like in the high tech enemies book where one guys henchmen have x2 vulernability to mental powers only while they wear the armor, as such the disad has the OIF -1/2

So he's not the most personable guy. Low PRE, a Psychological Limitation (or maybe Social...?), and no Seduction skill. The rest is probably best done through roleplaying, IMO.

Personally, I think putting a Limitation like OIF on a Disad is plain wrong. Instead, I'd scale back the frequency of the Disad to make it worth a little less. What's next, Armor Piercing DNPCs? Explosive Age? Megascale Enraged? And so on. You get the joke.

Alternately, you could buy Seduction with Side Effects that effect both the character and the target.

So he's not the most personable guy. Low PRE, a Psychological Limitation (or maybe Social...?), and no Seduction skill. The rest is probably best done through roleplaying, IMO.

I think what he's trying to say is that the character can seduce people, but that somehow his seductions will always come back to bite him on the ass.

For example; hit on the cutie at the bar; get whomped on by her obscenely large boyfriend. Or she's underage. Or a Russian* agent. Or really a guy. Or a hero-stalker, and never lets you go. See where this is going? Essentially, no matter how much he tries to have a normal relationship with a woman - or even a one-night-stand - he is going to get it in the teeth. This is one of those "GM, please abuse me" disads that are so much fun. Granted, there's probably a better way represent it than Unluck (PhysLim comes to mind) but I see what he's going for. Depending on the campaign, this could be another source of frustration, or a whole lot of fun for the other players, as they watch the poor guy get abused and humiliated for the pleasure of the studio audience.

I'd say the wrong limitation was applied. It should be Unluck, only applies to seduction attepmts (-whatever). How much a limitation on the disad is depends on how often he tries to seduce people. If he has a psych limit that makes such behaviour compulisive, it's going to reduce the points for the unluck by less.

Personally, I'd just go with a physical limitation (since mind control won't prevent it), Doomed relationships, or something like that.

Re: Re: need opinions on Disadvantages

I agree, but I have an additional suggestion about making the character especially bad at seduction: take negative skill levels with Seduction. I believe those are allowable now. The real question is, are you really going to enjoy playing a heel?

Originally posted by animemun001

*blinks anime style* umm how does comparing a power armor that enhances a henchmans susceptibility to the villians psionic powers to a DNPC thats Armor piercing make any sense? I don't see your comparsion at all.

Yeah. That was a joke. Read that paragraph again, especially the part at the end where I incorrectly assumed, "You get the joke."

Originally posted by Black Rose

I think what he's trying to say is that the character can seduce people, but that somehow his seductions will always come back to bite him on the ass.

For example; hit on the cutie at the bar; get whomped on by her obscenely large boyfriend. Or she's underage. Or a Russian* agent. Or really a guy. Or a hero-stalker, and never lets you go. See where this is going? Essentially, no matter how much he tries to have a normal relationship with a woman - or even a one-night-stand - he is going to get it in the teeth. This is one of those "GM, please abuse me" disads that are so much fun. Granted, there's probably a better way represent it than Unluck (PhysLim comes to mind) but I see what he's going for. Depending on the campaign, this could be another source of frustration, or a whole lot of fun for the other players, as they watch the poor guy get abused and humiliated for the pleasure of the studio audience.

yes you are very much correct in what I was going for. the campaign is mostly for a 'not-so-super' campaign characters have powers but every power either A) has a side effect or B) no real offensive use. the powers were not a problem I took the no real offensive powers ((except the gadget pool but that was rather low in value)) So I wanted to give this guy a really annoying trait. So I took the idea "nice guys finish last" and played with that concept till I came up with these. disad's.