RPG.net

nexus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: RPG.net

I have a question about the thread. If it is a thread about a HERO product' date=' why are the HERO people the ones blamed/ Attacked? If you don't like HERO, DON'T GO TO A THREAD OBVIOUSLY ABOUT HERO!!!![/quote']

Well, because saying something postive about Hero upsets people because they get the idea you have crapped on their favorite game. Of course, if someone says something negative about Hero and you defend it, you'll likely be labelled a Hero nazi, evangelist or something similar. And probably end up

on Darrin Kelley's Ignore List.

Well, because saying something postive about Hero upsets people because they get the idea you have crapped on their favorite game. Of course, if someone says something negative about Hero and you defend it, you'll likely be labelled a Hero nazi, evangelist or something similar. And probably end up

on Darrin Kelley's Ignore List.

First and formost, the thread starts here. I think it is important to note this before blame begins to be laid out. The initial question was as listed here:

Poster: Ian Noble

No one is talking about this and it's odd because I expected a bevy of Hero discussion when Sidekick was released.

Is anyone doing anything with it? Is it getting non Hero fans to try out the system?

I wonder if the silence is due to Tri-Stat Dx already filling the role as a Hero-lite substitute.

- Ian

There was a bit of low-level snarkiness on pg. 3, but it calmed down. The begining of the end starts on pg. 6

The thread was going ok. It was people questioning the timing and necessity of Sidekick, who is the target market, if it would sell to new gamers without flavor text or art. etc. But at page 6, attitudes begin to show with out of context quotes and snippiness.

I am not going to point out the guilty parties, when the thread is read in its entirety, you came see the train wreck a comin'.

In all honesty, the thread was fine initially. It discussed HERO, Sidekick, a HERO definition of "Possession". Some pretty good stuff. It was the arguement bred by about 3-4 rabid posters that began to drag things down. For what its worth, it was a mutual foul up on both sides.

Methinks the problem is the lack of neutral language. Happens all the time.

rob

I am not going to point out the guilty parties, when the thread is read in its entirety, you came see the train wreck a comin'.

rob

I'm not going to pretend I'm innocent on the matter. If nothing else I could have just walked away. But, what I said about saying positive things about Hero upseting people on Rpg.net. I meant in general, not solely on that thread. And I'll stand be the observation.

I'm not going to pretend I'm innocent on the matter. If nothing else I could have just walked away. But' date=' what I said about saying positive things about Hero upseting people on Rpg.net. I meant in general, not solely on that thread. And I'll stand be the observation.[/quote']

Wasn't blaming you. I apologize if it came off that way.

I blame the lack of neutral language from all sides. I try my best to use it on all the message boards I am on. I am an idea thief. I veiw tons of message boards, clip what I like to use, and go on. When I post, I pose questions like:

"I am playing d20, but I don't care for the increasing hit points per level. Can someone suggest away keep that from happening but still be able to survive a dragon attack through better tactics."

I avoid:

"Dude, d20 is a munchkin's paradise. What good is a system where a player can survive a direct Ancient Red Dragon Fire blast to the face? Then they turn and grab the dragon by the mansack a throw them into a bag of holding."

I haven't been flamed yet. And I tend to get more polite, direct posts. Plus, I leave with the help I need.

rob

(Now if that $*%&*# Mark Taylor would put up his spell list, I could get on with my $&$&%#* day. Doesn't he know my time is valuable?!?) ;)

I don't like the RPG.net forums. They remind me of the forums for Palladium and Wizards. Different topics but the same attitude. I was actually surprised to find the boards here to be quite different and have quite a few stimulating conversations. That's something I've not encountered yet on any other message board.

I actually have noticed that the conversations around here are as a general rule much much more civilised than over at RPG.net. Very touchy people over there I'll tell you that.

The Horror

First and formost' date=' the thread starts here. I think it is important to note this before blame begins to be laid out. The initial question was as listed here:

Poster: Ian Noble

No one is talking about this and it's odd because I expected a bevy of Hero discussion when Sidekick was released.

Is anyone doing anything with it? Is it getting non Hero fans to try out the system?

I wonder if the silence is due to Tri-Stat Dx already filling the role as a Hero-lite substitute.

- Ian

There was a bit of low-level snarkiness on pg. 3, but it calmed down. The begining of the end starts on pg. 6

The thread was going ok. It was people questioning the timing and necessity of Sidekick, who is the target market, if it would sell to new gamers without flavor text or art. etc. But at page 6, attitudes begin to show with out of context quotes and snippiness.

In all honesty, the thread was fine initially. It discussed HERO, Sidekick, a HERO definition of "Possession". Some pretty good stuff. It was the arguement bred by about 3-4 rabid posters that began to drag things down. For what its worth, it was a mutual foul up on both sides.

Methinks the problem is the lack of neutral language. Happens all the time.

rob

I think I was a little guilty of being outright abusive. That Darrin guy made me pretty mad, especially when I saw someone on his ignore list that I game with. I'm on his ignore list now and...it felt pretty good. :eg: