Buying off Disadvantages with Limitations

nexus

Is it allowed to buy off a Disadvantage and apply a Limitation to the cost? Such as in my Kekko Kamen write up when I "brought off" her Susceptibility to the sight of muscular guys with a focus limitation and Nuiscance effect?

Or is that just a house rule of mine I've mixed up with an offical ruling?

Re: Buying off Disadvantages with Limitations

Personally I rather like the mechanism - such as buying off "Unable To Walk" through a Focus, with the appropriate Limitation on the points - but comments I've read by Steve Long make me think he discourages the idea in favor of just taking a smaller Frequency on the Lim. One answer in the FAQ on Disadvantages seems to weigh against allowing it as a default:

Question: Can a character temporarily buy off his Disadvantages with a Variable Power Pool or the like?

Answer: Characters cannot temporarily buy off Disadvantages through a Variable Power Pool, or any other sort of mechanism (short of a Multiform). However, some powers may allow them to temporarily conceal a Disad - using Images, for example. If a character does this frequently, or can do it easily, the GM would certainly be well within his rights to make the character buy the Disad with a lower frequency or the like.

Re: Buying off Disadvantages with Limitations

I've done it Steve's way. I've bought it as a Power.

Whatever works and makes more sense.

My guidelines:

It can be a Power if it's something that someone else can deliberately take advantage of, such as buying off Blindness (25 point Disad) with The Eye of Osiris: Sight Sense Group OAF Real Cost: 12 points[/i]. Especially if The Eye of Osiris had other powers besides allow the blind the see. Naturally, this could also be nothing more than a Disad "Sight Group can be taken as an OAF" for Frequently, Fully 20 points.

It should be a reduced frequency Disad if all it really does is nothing more than add color to the character, or make him more interesting, or simply make the Disad worth less.

In my opinion, if it's bought as a Power, the character still gets full points for the Disad.