I need help with a grenade launcher

So I'm trying to build a grenade launcher. I don't want to build it as a multipower and am looking for a weapon that translates in game terms as something that only fires them, having the grenades of several different types bought seperately. Those grenades will also be useable without the launcher and the idea is that the user can slap a clip of 4 into it, whatever the type or simply have them (bought in clips of 4) to throw. I don't want to end up with 4 different launchers for 4 different grenade types, and multipower is only a last resort.

My original idea was to buy a 1 pip RKA, Indirect (+1/4 originates from launcher), Increased maximum range (+1 100"), Limited power (-1 launcher does no damage, damage by grenade only),STR Min 12(-1/2 no damage add), 2 handed (-1/2), Real weapon (-1/4), OAF (-1), Charges 3 clips of 4 grenades (-0) Total cost:3 points

Something about it seems wrong. Here's some example grenades:

FragAP grenade: RKA 2 1/2 d6, AP (+1/2), AOE (+1 6" radius), OAF (-1), 4 charges (-1), Range based on STR (when used as thrown weapon) (-1/4), Range limitation (-1/4 when fired from launcher) Total Cost: 29 points

And I'm not going for realisim when compared to contemporary weapons.

Please enlighten me.

Re: I need help with a grenade launcher

Okay, I see two ways of doing this.

The easiest way is to hand wave it as a F/X, take the minimum limitation on it (Probably OIF)

OR take a Varlim -1/4, one config is OAF (-1/2, the other half is because of OIF), the other config is Range based on Str and restrainable (-1/4)

So I'm trying to build a grenade launcher. I don't want to build it as a multipower and am looking for a weapon that translates in game terms as something that only fires them' date=' having the grenades of several different types bought seperately. [/quote']

Buy the grenade launcher as extra (or seperate) STR, only for "throwing" grenade-like objects, plus whatever lims you want for setting up the launcher (extra time, concentration, OAF, etc).

Grenades would be AOE/explosionive attacks with the range based on strength limitation. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Indirect and just attribute that to special effects.

!DrFURIOUS!

Don't have the books with me to lookup up numbers, but how about something like this.

+30 STR (or more depending on how much range that gets you)

with these for limitations

Doesn't add to normal STR

OAF

STR can only be used for throwing grenade charges.

Buy the grenade launcher as extra (or seperate) STR, only for "throwing" grenade-like objects, plus whatever lims you want for setting up the launcher (extra time, concentration, OAF, etc).

Grenades would be AOE/explosionive attacks with the range based on strength limitation. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Indirect and just attribute that to special effects.

!DrFURIOUS!

I like this. I'll get to work on it. Thanks, Doc :thumbup:

The only thing the grenade launcher seems to do is to buy off the range based on str limitation.

FragAP grenade: RKA 2 1/2 d6, AP (+1/2), AOE (+1 6" radius), OAF (-1), 4 charges (-1), Range based on STR (when used as thrown weapon) (-1/4), Total Cost: 31 points

For that construct, Range based on Str only saves 2 real points. (I don't think the extra -1/4 from the launcher is a valid limitation so I removed it). I don't think 2 pts is worth quibbling about, and I would simply treat needing the launcher for maximum range as a -0 limitation and charge 33 pts for that construct.

Now if you have different types of grenades, these points start adding up. For example, 4 different types of grenades of the same active points and same limitations would be a 8 pt difference. Normally 33 pts each or 132 pts total vs 31 pts each and 124 pts total. In which case I would allow you to take a -1 OAF limitation on the 8 pt difference and charge 4 pts for the launcher. Thus the final cost would be 124 pts for the 4 different types of grenades that normally have Range based on Str, + 4 pts for the launcher to buy off that limitation, and a total cost of 128 pts.

Right. I threw in the -1/4 limitation at the last minute and it didn't at all seem right. I kind of knew that all I intended to do was buy off the range based on STR. Wasn't sure on how to do it. And I was kind of perplexed by all of the grenade launchers presented in the Star Hero supplements being based on the specific attack.

Don't have the books with me to lookup up numbers, but how about something like this.

+30 STR (or more depending on how much range that gets you)

with these for limitations

Doesn't add to normal STR

OAF

STR can only be used for throwing grenade charges.

Thanks for posting some stats.So would I buy charges normally? I don't want the thing to have an infinite number of shots.

Thanks for posting some stats.So would I buy charges normally? I don't want the thing to have an infinite number of shots.

No, you are limited by the number of grenades you carry. Not the number of times the launcher fires right?

Hawksmoor

This is what a Naked Advantage is PERFECT for..

build the grenade launcher:

2 1/2D6 RKA, AoE, OAF, Limited Range, Charges: 4.

(normally, a grenade made for a launcher can't be thrown as they use different trigger mechanisms).

Now, buy Naked Advantages for Grenade types

Frag Grenades are a Naked Armor Piercing Advantage; Gas Grenades are a Naked NND Advantage; Flash Grenades are a Naked Flash:Sight Advantage; etc... (putting those into a MP would best simulate using only one type at a time).

a point break down as I would build it (assuming 1 clip of ea. type).

Grenade Launcher:

2 1/2D6, AoE, Limited Range, Real Weapon, OAF, Charges: 4 (80 AP, 23 RP)

Non-Standard Rounds:

40 pt MultiPower

2u - Frag: Naked Advantage: Armor Peircing; Charges: 4 (40 AP, 2RP)

and from there..

The above assumes a +1/2 Advantage is being used in the Naked Advantage multipower.

And while I was writing this .. realizing I was using on +1/2 advantages .. the Variable Advantage at the +1 level on the Laucnher would accomplish this as well.

No' date=' I want it to carry a set number of clips (of 4).[/quote']

I think that's what Hawksmoors was getting at...

The charges are the number of clips/rounds you carry, so the grenade launcher could fire 80 times if you had 20 clips of 4 rounds each. But if your GM were being nice and let you find an extra clip in a weapons cache that happens to fit you could in fact fire it even if it exceeded the number of clips you purchased as charges already that session.

in other words the grande launchers ability to fire is only limited by the number of clips (charges) you have on hand.

Right! By limiting the number of charges on your grenade laucher you are limiting the number of times it can fire. Well, that is just silly. It can fire for a long time, the problem is ammo. Which in this case is a separate power.

Right?

Hawksmoor

I think that's what Hawksmoors was getting at...

The charges are the number of clips/rounds you carry, so the grenade launcher could fire 80 times if you had 20 clips of 4 rounds each. But if your GM were being nice and let you find an extra clip in a weapons cache that happens to fit you could in fact fire it even if it exceeded the number of clips you purchased as charges already that session.

in other words the grande launchers ability to fire is only limited by the number of clips (charges) you have on hand.

Ok. I'm being particularlly thick-headed I guess. And I'm designing this as the GM.

I appreciate the input, fellas. I think I can get the launcher to be the way I want it.