How much of a Limitation...?

mayapuppies

Hello all,

Working on a character concept and I have an EC that I want only to be able to use when the character has reached 50% of his BODY. It's a defensive EC with Density Increase and Armor, but only activates when he is really hurt.

Is this a viable Lim and if so, how much would think it would be worth?

Re: How much of a Limitation...?

Hello all,

Working on a character concept and I have an EC that I want only to be able to use when the character has reached 50% of his BODY. It's a defensive EC with Density Increase and Armor, but only activates when he is really hurt.

Is this a viable Lim and if so, how much would think it would be worth?

Depends... "only able to use when" sounds like a limited power (conditional).

Without knowing the character's defenses, I'd give it maybe -1/2 to -1.

"only activates when" sounds like No Conscious Control (-2), but I'd also require RE: 0, always on, persistent

The difference being with the first, the character needs to have a (free) action to turn the EC on, while the second would kick in immediately (and stay on even after being stunned or KO'd, of course)

Well, his "normal" defenses aren't quite worked out, but essentially what happens is that he is a bio-engineered person with an over-active genetic defense system. Once he's been severly wounded his body forms a hard shell over his epidermis.

He has no concious control over it (in fact, he doesn't know about it as of yet), so I guess going with the latter suggestion may be the best form of action.

Aside from that "ability", he is a skilled martial artist brick, more along the lines of Captain America than Bruce Lee.

Ok so here's some more info:

He has a normal PD: 14 and ED: 10

He has a suit of body armor rPD: 8 and rED: 8

and here is the EC I'm wanting to include. I'm kinda fuzzy on the cost for this and I don't have Hero Designer (yet, and at $50 it'll be awhile), so any help would be appreciated.

EC: Bio-Engineered Defenses (No Conscious Control: Only Activates when character at 50% Body, Reduced Endurance: 0, Always On, Persistent)

10 pts 2 Levels of density Increase

15 pts 5 PD/5 ED Armor

10 pts Life Support: Self-Contained Breathing

10 pts Life Support: All Terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents

10 pts Life Support: All Terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents

Actually,you'd have to get GM's permission for this EC, as only Powers that naturally cost END are allowable in Fifth Edition EC's.(If i were Steve Long,I'd just have forbade all Always On Powers from being in Power Frameworks unless all Powers in the Framework have the Always On limitation.But I'm not Steve Long,unfortunately).

EC: Bio-Engineered Defenses (No Conscious Control: Only Activates when character at 50% Body, Reduced Endurance: 0, Always On, Persistent)

15 pts 5 PD/5 ED Armor

The above seems rather complicated for such a simple design.Lets see:

Bio-Engineered Defenses 5DEF Armor (character must be down to 50% Body (-1) (15 AP, 7 Real Cost).

2 levels of Density Increase,0 END Persistent (+1),Linked to Armor (-1/2) (20 AP,13 Real Cost)

Life Support:Self-contained Breathing,Immune to all Terrestrial diseases & poisons,linked to Armor (-1/2) (30AP,20 Real Cost)

Note: As Armor and Life Support are already Persistent Powers I didn't think that No Conscious Control was needed.And I screwed up on the Real Costs too:I should have had the character's Armor & Density Increase Linked to his Life Support,as it's the one with the most Active Points.So here is the new version of Bio-Engineered Defenses (with the addition of No Conscious Control on the component powers) :

Life Support:Self-contained Breathing,Immune to all Terrestrial diseases & poisons (Character must be at 50% BODY (-1),No Conscious Control (-2),Linked to Armor & Density Increase (Lesser powers) (-1/4)) (30 AP,7 Real Cost)

Armor (5PD/5ED),No Conscious Control(-2),Linked to Life Support (-1/2) (15 AP,4 Real Cost)

Density Increase,2 levels,0 END Persistent (+1),No Conscious Control (-2),Linked to Life Support (-1/2) (20 AP,6 Real Cost)

Ok so here's some more info:

He has a normal PD: 14 and ED: 10

He has a suit of body armor rPD: 8 and rED: 8

and here is the EC I'm wanting to include. I'm kinda fuzzy on the cost for this and I don't have Hero Designer (yet, and at $50 it'll be awhile), so any help would be appreciated.

15 pts 5 PD/5 ED Armor

I think there's a link somewhere to the HD demo still... you can't save or print, but it's still good for testing constructs and math ;).

Try using Force Field instead of armor... as previously noted, powers that don't inherently cost END aren't supposed to be in ECs.

True enough-also Force Field fits the SFX better,as a hardened shell covering his body should be visible,but Armor in 5e is supposed to be invisible by default,as is Density Increase.So here is the power as an EC:

EC; Bio-Engineered Defenses: (0 END Persistent +1);

All slots are No Conscious Control (-2) and Only Activate when character is at 50% of BODY (-1) (base 10 AP,Real Cost 2)

a-Dense Shell: 2 levels Density Increase (20 AP,2 Real Cost).

b-Tough Shell: +5 PD/ED Force Field (20AP,2 Real Cost),plus the following:

Life Support:: Self-contained Breathing and Immunity to all Terrestrial Diseases & Poisons,No conscious Control (-2),character must be at 50% Of BODY (-1)(30 Ap,7 Real Cost).

No Concious Control at the -2 level only kicks on when the GM wants it to. Since Life Support is Persistant (or something like that, IDHMBIFOM) and I don't know when it would ever be in concept for it to NOT be on (except the 1/2 Body), I'd drop that limitation. The -1 limitation for being at 50% Body seems to cover it all.

Otherwise, you could be at 10% Body, poisoned, suffocating, and the GM could say "Hmmmm.... don't know why, but your Life Support hasn't kicked in yet!".

Actually' date='you'd have to get GM's permission for this EC, as only Powers that naturally cost END are allowable in Fifth Edition EC's.(If i were Steve Long,I'd just have forbade all Always On Powers from being in Power Frameworks unless all Powers in the Framework have the Always On limitation.But I'm not Steve Long,unfortunately).[/quote']

Really , you have to get GM permission for any character or set up that would take away from the game enjoyment. There are a lot more problems than power legality that can ruin a game.