Does Marital Disarm Help You Hold On?

xirr2000

Re: Does Marital Disarm Help You Hold On?

Can you apply the STR bonus to Disarm to yourself if someone is trying to disarm you?

Typos asside...

Technically, yes and no. As a standard rule, no. But there is an optional rule either in FREd or in UMA that says that a character than has the Martial Disarm maneuver whould get to use that extra STR to protect himself from other disarms. The reasoning is that otherwise fencers would do nothing but disarm each other all the time, where that just doesn't happen in real life or in fiction.

I like the idea of it working both ways. Although I had another really silly idea...

Since a true MA would know what to watch for, and this is WHY the Disarm maneuver could help prevent disarming, give a PER or other Combat skill roll with appropriate + to it for any character with Disarm. You make the roll, you saw it coming, you keep your weapon. Kinda like Complimentary skill rolling, in a way. You roll your Conversation, you get Persuasion bonuses... that kind of thing.

Sorry if I ramble or overcomplicate. Just another option in a system with many...

Typos asside...

Technically, yes and no. As a standard rule, no. But there is an optional rule either in FREd or in UMA that says that a character than has the Martial Disarm maneuver whould get to use that extra STR to protect himself from other disarms. The reasoning is that otherwise fencers would do nothing but disarm each other all the time, where that just doesn't happen in real life or in fiction.

If you're talking about sport fencing, I doubt most fencers would make a habit of disarming their opponents in every match. I haven't fenced in a while, but I think the referee would halt the action at that point.

If you're talking about sport fencing' date=' I doubt most fencers would make a habit of disarming their opponents in every match. I haven't fenced in a while, but I think the referee would halt the action at that point.[/quote']

Well, no, sport fencing doesn't much happen in the movies or comics, at least compaired to the swashbuckling antics as seen in the Princess Bride.

Thinking of how I think it would work (simulating the movies), you would as a default get extra STR from a Martial Disarm to defend against Disarm attempts, but an attacker can always attempt a feint (as per UMA) to catch their opponent off guard, in which case they would only get the Casual STR (without Martial Disarm STR added) to defend against it.