[Magic System] Runeforging

Killer Shrike

Re: [Magic System] Runeforging

Hiya Killer,

Sorry. I still haven't read this one. I'm pouring over your others and trying to "visualize" them. Being knew to all this, I still have a hard time picturing how these systems in some cases.

You've actually overloaded me with information and diversity :jawdrop:

Once I've got a handle on this stuff I'll be more than happy to lend opinions. :D

But, I love the concept and really fits in with a "traditional" dwarf style of magic. I definitely have a group of divine casters that would fit the bill nicely for this, once I get a handle on how these things work.

Hiya Killer,

Sorry. I still haven't read this one. I'm pouring over your others and trying to "visualize" them. Being knew to all this, I still have a hard time picturing how these systems in some cases.

You've actually overloaded me with information and diversity :jawdrop:

Once I've got a handle on this stuff I'll be more than happy to lend opinions. :D

But, I love the concept and really fits in with a "traditional" dwarf style of magic. I definitely have a group of divine casters that would fit the bill nicely for this, once I get a handle on how these things work.

No worries. Just firing for effect. Wondering if I'm posting to an empty auditorium or not.

Looking forward to your feedback when you've had a chance to read over it.

Thanx!

I suppose the hammer could be silver. Silver is handy for smiting several types of races created by the Haelfinnan in the setting, including were creatures.

Of course, there was an implication of a reference involved, but Im missing the reference on that one. :stupid:

Clue me in? :think:

I got the silver hammer reference. It's one of my favorite inspiration for magic warhammers. I made one that had a two-shot Autofire attack... :D

Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer

came down upon her head

Clang! Clang! Maxwell's silver hammer

made sure that she was dead

Killer, I would comment more on the system, but it's really lightyears beyond what I do. I'll construct some minor item or minor spell (when the muse hits), but to sit down and hammer out a magic system is really something I haven't been able to.

Interesting. One GM actually did have KS: Runes or something like that in his FH campaign a few years back. It was meant to be used in conjunction with other skills, and each rune carved had a specific effect. I think it was a limited skill, though.

I got the silver hammer reference. It's one of my favorite inspiration for magic warhammers. I made one that had a two-shot Autofire attack... :D

Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer

came down upon her head

Clang! Clang! Maxwell's silver hammer

made sure that she was dead

ROFL! Perfect!

But I also agree with you on the Magic System thing. Killer Shrikes stuff is far beyond what I am currently capable of doing, so it's like trying to reverse engineer a nuclear reactor with a shovel. :idjit:

Well thanx for the kind words, fellas.

I dont think Im doing anything particularly revolutionary however; just coming up with variant ways to make the rules fit concepts.

I used to use just one Magic System for everything, and forced every concept to fit into that mechanic. Most FRPGs do this as well, so its easy to get trapped into that kind of thinking.

But then it dawned on me, theres no reason why you cant have multiple magic systems in play all at the same time, if they are built carefully.

So, I decided to create a setting that has been largely shaped by competing and allied practitioners of different kinds of magic and sat down to write that out.

Then "all" that was needed was to backfill the basic history outline with magic systems mentioned in the history and for various "fringe" groups that are mentioned but not detailed. I decided that more important/dynamic/dominant cultures should have more dynamic or scalable magic systems, while fringe groups should have more static or less scalable systems. Some areas would have traditional old-school magic, but also have more modern next-generation systems and there would naturally be conflict there in some cases. The more dynamic/broad systems would naturally spawn variants and spin-offs.

And so on.

Some of the Systems I had listed out at the begining on a "to-do" list (and theres still several items remaining on the list -- Riftmagi, "True" Necromancers, Alchemists, Spellbinders, and a Wu Jen/Hermetic blend I havent come up with a name for yet are the most porminent items remaining on the list), but Spellweaving for example came about by responding to another posters attempt at a Magic System (Lezentauw, IIRC) but fit a niche for a culture I was really drawing a blank on.

It's been fun so far :D

Spellbinders & Alchemists will be similar to the Runeforger in that they are Artificer type disciplines -- although Spellbinders might have some kind of combat-ready effect parrallel.

After I get all the systems wrapped up I will finish going through the web site and replacing all the references to the old "Default Magic System" assumption.

I also need to retool the Divine Magic sections, which Ive been putting off because I basically dont like "Divine Magic" handled as Spells.

Im rambling, but again thanx for the feedback!

I like the RuneForgers!

While functionally the same as Tattoo magic, other forms of flesh markings could be used to give different flavours to different systems of rune magic.

For example, Scars, Burns, or Brands would be an appropriate extension for cultures that want to emphasize the price of pain for the gift of magic -- e.g. a tribe of battle-scarred orc shamen who practice ritually scarring, a clan of inbred lizard men who worship an acid spitting dragon spellcaster who grants the chosen powers by literally burning the magic into their flesh.

~snip~

I also need to retool the Divine Magic sections, which Ive been putting off because I basically dont like "Divine Magic" handled as Spells.

I've been working on a Divine Magic system where the priests can be, in essence, "possessed" by their god (or a duly appointed representative); think GURPS: Voodoo. The more they simulate their god (appearance, actions, etc.) the more power they can call upon (more lims and appropriate skills, the higher the APs). They can also buy some small-time abilities that almost all the gods give out, as well as one or two that only their god gives (e.g., goddess of protectors is the only one who gives out a Force Wall "spell"). Mages get to have a bit more flexibility in their chioces; priests are very much servants of their gods.

I like the RuneForgers!

While functionally the same as Tattoo magic, other forms of flesh markings could be used to give different flavours to different systems of rune magic.

For example, Scars, Burns, or Brands would be an appropriate extension for cultures that want to emphasize the price of pain for the gift of magic -- e.g. a tribe of battle-scarred orc shamen who practice ritually scarring, a clan of inbred lizard men who worship an acid spitting dragon spellcaster who grants the chosen powers by literally burning the magic into their flesh.

Cool variant....mind if I added a tidbit about it?

I've been working on a Divine Magic system where the priests can be' date=' in essence, "possessed" by their god (or a duly appointed representative); think GURPS: Voodoo. The more they simulate their god (appearance, actions, etc.) the more power they can call upon (more lims and appropriate skills, the higher the APs). They can also buy some small-time abilities that almost all the gods give out, as well as one or two that only their god gives (e.g., goddess of protectors is the only one who gives out a Force Wall "spell"). Mages get to have a bit more flexibility in their chioces; priests are very much [i']servants[/i] of their gods.

Yeah, Ive heard of similar systems where the "priest" is essentially "ridden" by their diety, used as a proxy.

Id be interested in seeing it when you are done with it...

Cool variant....mind if I added a tidbit about it?

Sure, take it and run with it!

Not just a "tidbit" go ahead and crank out a "Shriking" bunch of stuff in those Automotan-induced sleepless hours that you live by ;)

I'm working on some Tattoo Mystic Monks of Xan Yae and started thinking about Scarred Humanoids and Acid-Burned Swamp Trolls and Hellfurnaced Branded Giants but, at my glacial rate, you'll have a couple of dozen more entire spell systems uploaded before I'm done the first draft of a variation on the first thing.

P.S. Did you get a chance to consider the Spell Resistance ideas I mentioned?

P.S. Did you get a chance to consider the Spell Resistance ideas I mentioned?

Ive been ruminating on it, but have yet to make any decisions.

Id like to finish the last few magic systems I need for the SanDora setting first (since Im relatively close), and then worry about revising arching concepts liks Spell Resistance, Spellcraft, and so on which were orginally conceptualized off of the Wizard VPP model before I branched out into adding parrallel systems. The SR concept worked for the Wizard VPP, but doesnt work for some of the Magic Systems at all.

On the one hand Im ok with it, but on the other it might result in me either overhauling the concept completely or (more likely) reducing it's cost for my own purposes. I really dont want to have to go back thru and change a lot of Spells already in the pot, so will weight towards any solution that allows me to avoid that.

I like your Saving Throw variant of Steve Long's Avoidance Rolls and might end up including that as an option as well w/ your permission once I get to that juncture.