Some of Sacramento's Most Wanted

SuperPheemy

a problem....

I don't have FRED with me, but on some page it says if you want shrinking or growth to be a permanent form of a character, you don't buy it like that (with always on, persistent, etc). Instead, you buy the individual stats (like stretching for reach, CSL for plusses and minuses to CV, etc).

Other than that, looks good!

Err. starting to get bogged down in math.

I'm trying to do a comparison between the "Always On" Growth, and the "Buy all the Growth powers seperately" reccomendation.

Currently, for 15 points of Growth as purchased for the Troll, the cost is 23 points.

To purchase the abilities otherwise

+15 STR = 15 points

+3 BODY= 6 points

+3 STUN= 3 points

3" Knockback Resistance= 6 points

1" Stretching (0 END, Persistent, Inherent, Always On, Only to extend reach (-1 Lim, 1.25 Adv)= 6 points

-2 DCV (bought as Penalty Combat Skill Levels) = -10 points

Thus far, we're looking at 26 points (provided my figures hold up) not counting the simulation of the PER penalty (which I would reflect as a Physical Limitation: +2 to PER Rolls to spot character, All the Time, Greatly = 20 point Disad).

In the end, it seems like a lot of work to achieve similar results. with a stumbling block at the PER penalty. Or maybe the Always On + Perisitent combinatin is hardwired into my 3rd and 4th edition brain. Sort of like COBOL on early computers.

Also (And, Memesis, GET AWAY!)...

What about Rasp's stats? Is there anything paticularly interesting about this guy, or is he more of a, say, mad scientist? I definetly want to use him, but my PCs if they could get ahold of him, would eat him alive (And rightly so!).

And, seeing what the kind of guy this guy is, the Major Villain of the campaign, the one behind the scenes (Who has two PCs by the stones in influence) would want Rasp Dead because of what he's doing, and would use the PCs as the 'snuffing out' team.

Troll gets his immortality (effectively an immunity to ageing, note the Regen does not bring him back from the dead) because his Body continually regenerates. The drugs altered Leon's Metabolism to a degree that even the detrimental hormonal changes brought on by ageing are effectively "healed". Sort of like Wolverine in a way.

I'll put Rasp together the next moment I have a free minute. An important note though. Rasp is NOT a fighting master villain. Superheros would make very short work of him in a fight. He's more of a mastermind and a "McGuffin" to introduce mutated supervillains (like the aforementioned Troll). Rasp should always be a behind-the-scenes presence, often felt, but seldom seen, unless you're wanting to end the "Rasp-plot". Even then, with all the self-expiramentation Supervillains have done on themselves, who knows if killing Rasp would get rid of him anyway?

Well, y'see, I allready got a 'Mastermind' for my game. A crimeboss who's taken an eye to the PCs (Two of which he's got by the stones, relatively). The PCs will be used as a hunting pack to chase him through the underworld of MC, a little 'tour' of the crime lanes.

I plan on playing Rasp like a 'Mad Scientist Wannabee'. A Chemistry Masters who's been making lots of cash on the side by cooking drugs, trying to break into genetics and it's not working, and he's getting funded by a corporation to create things for making disposable superpowered individuals. Of course, Rasp is going to make the drugs First more addictive (then more violent), then start putting the agents in drugs and 'watch' the subjects, his lab rats, keeping connected to them through payed off drug dealers, the news, and connections.

So Rasp is a 'minor' mastervillain for me. :) A story arc or four before he gets waxed.

I also like Napalm, but I was thinking more 'releasing flammible fumes into the air (which he's immune to) then lighting it by some mechanism or biological property'.

All if it's okay with You; they are your origional ideas. :)

It makes for an interesting philosophical quandry, Rasp as you're describing using him sounds different than the way I'll be using him. Indeed Napalm's superpowered effects go through a bit of a change. We might even go so far as to state that even though I've come up with the concept of Rasp, Napalm and Troll, when you place them in your campaign, those versions of these characters become your creative endeavour.

However, I do appreciate the request, shows civility on the Internet. If any of my ideas or characters inspire any of the board members to further develop their campaigns, then by all means, use them however you want. Change 'em, kill 'em, have 'em take over your campaign world for a time. I'm just glad I was able to contribute to the community.

Cool! :) Infact, I was pondering Napalm all day, and I thought of some changes I'm going to make. :)

The drug changed his metabolism and gladular production. His bodily fluids and even the stored fat in his body now contains a flammible compound, and while this is true, his body is immune to combusting from it. He can speed his metablism up to the point of burning fat and storing the energy, the chemical concentrate in his hands, and build enough pressure to Fire it in streams, or condense it into 'balls' that are just nasty gummy balls. Or, cause the chemical to just be 'sweated' all over his body.

The trick is, he has a flame-proof set of body armor (not real impressive since he's just a suped up street punk), but attached to it are small pilot light type things. They're on his hands, and various other parts of the suit, to set his stuff on fire, blasting the streams, setting afire the globs, or igniting his sweat to be just a walking fireball.

Of course, the flammible gunk is Sticky (Continuous) burn. :D

Ask and ye shall receive

I've put together Rasp. He's a very behind-the-scenes villain who relies on his contacts, minions, and the chaos created by his expiraments to keep him out of combat. Think Kaizer Soze, with a respirator, back and leg braces.

Rasp

Player: NPC Villain

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
8 DEX -6
6 CON -8
6 BODY -8
28 INT 18
23 EGO 26
15 PRE 5
6 COM -2
1 PD 0
1 ED 0
3 SPD 12
2 REC 0
20 END 4
20 STUN 8
4" RUN-41" SWIM-11" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 39

Cost Power END
28 Chemical Bombs: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots: , Personal Immunity (+1/4) (56 Active Points); OAF (-1)
1u 1) Neuroshock: Energy Blast 3 1/2d6 (vs. PD), STUN Only (+0), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) [Notes: Defense is a self-contained environment]
1u 2) Psychomalleable Compound: Mind Control 5d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (44 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Based on CON (Defense: PD; -1)
1u 3) SensDep: Flash 1 1/2d6 (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense Group: Smell/Taste Group), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Does Not Work Against Desolidified Characters (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [Notes: Defense is a self-contained environment]
2u 4) Fatigue: Drain 3d6: Endurance, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)
2u 5) Octopus Ink: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius (40 Active Points); 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2)
1u 6) Seizure: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)
78 Kit Bashed Compounds: VPP (Gadget Pool), 60 base + 18 control cost, Requires A INT Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points +0), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (97 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), Conditional Power (Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances; -1/4), Limited Class Of Powers Available (Slightly Limited; -1/4) [Notes: Rasp must have access to a variety of chemicals to create effects. Skill Roll necessary to use power is Inventor. Pool can only develop powers possible through mixing chemicals.]
Powers Cost: 114

Cost Skill
3 AK: Sacramento (INT-based) 15-
3 Breakfall 11-
3 Computer Programming 15-
7 Conversation 14-
5 Cramming
3 Criminology 15-
7 Deduction 17-
7 Forensic Medicine 17-
3 High Society 12-
13 Inventor 20-
2 Navigation (Other: Urban) 15-
7 Oratory 14-
13 Paramedics 20-
7 Persuasion 14-
10 +1 Overall
7 Streetwise 14-
2 Survival (Urban) 15-
3 Tactics 15-
7 Trading 14-
3 Linguist [Notes: Native Language: English]
2 1) Language: French: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
2 2) Language: German: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 3) Language: Greek: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
2 4) Language: Latin: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 5) Language: Russian: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
2 6) Language: Spanish: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 7) Language: Vietnamese: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Eastern Philosophy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) KS: General History (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) KS: International Criminal Law (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) KS: Literature (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) KS: Medical Procedure (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) KS: Modern Philosophy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) KS: Pharmacuticals (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) KS: Western Theology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) KS: Wine Conniseur (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
3 Scientist
7 1) SS: Biology (INT-based) (8 Active Points) 20-
7 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (8 Active Points) 20-
7 3) SS: Genetics (INT-based) (8 Active Points) 20-
2 4) SS: Mathematics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
7 5) SS: Medicine (INT-based) (8 Active Points) 20-
2 6) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
7 7) SS: Physics (INT-based) (8 Active Points) 20-
Skills Cost: 189

Cost Perk
15 Money (Filthy Rich)
12 Contact: CIA cronies (11-) (Contact has access to major institutions, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (+2) (12 Active Points)
18 Contact: Sacramento Gangs (14-) (Contact has: useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (+2) (18 Active Points)
2 Fringe Benefit (International Driver's License, Passport)
20 Main Laboratory (100 Base, 0 Disad)
15 Safe Houses (x4, 25 Base, 0 Disad)
20 Pablo Garcia - Street Face (100 Base, 150 Disad)
Perks Cost: 102

Cost Talent
3 Absolute Time Sense
20 Danger Sense (15-) (Sensitivity: Out of Combat)
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightning Calculator
3 Lightsleep
4 Speed Reading: x10
Talents Cost: 38

Total Character Cost: 482

Val Disadvantages
40 Dependence: Resperator, Very Common, Takes 3d6 Damage, 1 Phase
10 Distinctive Features: Raspy, hissing voice coupled with respirator noise, Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
10 Distinctive Features: Braces and Respirator apparatus, Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
25 Hunted: Drug Enforcement Agency, More Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
15 Hunted: Sacramento Police Department, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Limited Geographical Area, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Social Limitation: Jeremiah York, Frequently (11-), Severe
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident, Common, Strong
15 Physical Limitation: Respirator, back and leg braces are always worn, All the Time, Slightly Impairing

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 132

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Rasp's Multipower is really a "last resort" and represents what he normally has secreted in containers all over his body. He makes the best use of his VPP, either developing something nasty in his own laboratory, or using his vast knowledge of how chemical substances work to create on-the-spot nastiness. However, his greatest asset is his intelligence. Rasp is the type of villain who is already many, many steps ahead of the average heroes. IF the heroes meet him face-to-face, it's because Rasp has arranged it, or allowed it. I've put him together as a long-term villain, someone who can be a thorn in the side of justice for years.

• 2 weeks later...

I don' t have enough time to post his background right now. But Napalm here is a very viscious, brutal man. The type of villain who will casually take the hard option. More to come later...

Napalm

Player: NPC VIllain

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
12 BODY 4
13 INT 3
10 EGO 0
18 PRE 8
16 COM 3
20 PD 2
30 ED 5
5 SPD 17
9 REC 2
70 END 12
45 STUN 14
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 138

Cost Power END
56 Napalm Bombs: Multipower, 70-point reserve, all slots: (70 Active Points); Limited Power (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4) [Notes: Power does not work when character immersed in flame retardant chemicals.]
5u 1) Firebombs: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (vs. ED), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (69 Active Points) 7
6u 3) Saturation Burn: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 d6 +1 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (70 Active Points) 7
6u 5) Napalm Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. ED), +3 STUN Multiplier (+3/4) (70 Active Points) 7
6u 6) Inferno: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 d6 +1 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) (70 Active Points) 7
4 Altered Metabolism: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat)
35 Pyre: Force Field (15 PD / 20 ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (44 Active Points); Limited Power (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4) (added to Primary Value) [Notes: Power does not work when character is immersed in flame retardant chemicals] 2
20 Contagious Blaze: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (vs. ED), Damage Shield (+1/2), Offensive (+1/4), Continuous (+1) (41 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), Linked to Pyre (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4) 4
Powers Cost: 138

Cost Skill
Modern Everyman Skills
0 1) Acting 8-
0 2) Climbing 8-
0 3) Concealment 8-
0 4) Conversation 8-
0 5) Deduction 8-
0 6) Language: English: Idiomatic, native accent (Custom Adder)
3 7) Paramedics 12-
0 8) PS: Gang Leader (Custom Adder) 11-
0 9) Shadowing 8-
0 10) Stealth 8-
0 11) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 12) AK: Sacramento (INT-based) 12-
2 Gambling 12-
3 Interrogation 13-
3 Combat Driving 14-
5 Streetwise 14-
3 Teamwork 14-
3 Tactics 12-
4 Language: Vietnamese: Idiomatic, native accent
5 Seduction 14-
2 Survival (Urban) 12-
3 AK: South Stockton Boulevard (INT-based) 12-
Skills Cost: 39

Cost Perk
5 Kawisaki Ninja 600R (25 Base, 0 Disad)
30 The Phoenix Ember Gang (x32, 25 Base, 0 Disad)
Perks Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
15 Hunted: Crimson Cross Vigilante Gang, As Powerful, 14- (Very Frequently), Harshly Punish, Limited Geographical Area
15 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Caucasians, Very Common, Moderate
10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful, Common, Moderate
20 Enraged: When race-baited, Common, go 11-, recover 11-
25 Hunted: Sacramento PD Anti-Gang Task Force, More Powerful, 14- (Very Frequently), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, Limited Geographical Area
10 Reputation: Notorious Gang Leader, Frequently (11-)
20 Social Limitation: Secret Identity, Frequently (11-), Severe
20 Dependent NPC: Hieuhannah Nguyen - Mother, Incompetent (-20 points or lower), 8- (Infrequently), Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID
10 Social Limitation: Young Vietnamese Gang Punk, Frequently (11-), Minor
5 Unluck: +1d6

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

As promised, Napalm's background, and details.

Dong Nguyen is the son of Vietnamese immigrants who fled their native country after the fall of Saigon. Though born in the "Land of Opportunity", Dong grew up very poor, and developed a strong resentment for the country that abandoned his land, then spat on his people when they sought refuge. Simultaneously discouraged for being "different" and pressured by his family to "assimilate", Dong chose neither option.

At 13, Dong started running with a small Vietnamese street gang calling themselves the "Phoenix Embers". The Embers ranged over South Sacramento, graduating from petty crimes to breaking and entering, then ultimately auto theft and drug dealing. By the time he was 21, the Phoenix Embers had secured their turf along Stockton Boulevard between Florin Mall, and Power Inn Road.

Three years ago, the Embers acquired a huge score of designer drugs followig the ambush of a rival gang. During the post-battle celebration, Dong and his crew used most of the score on themselves. The overdoses killed three of Dong's friends, and two more are still in comas. Dong himself was nearly killed, and spent two weeks sweating and shaking in a vacant house as the chemicals induced changes and mutations to his body.

When Dong recovered, his cellular structure had mutated to the point where he could generate an accellerant through his skin. The accellerant would ignite on contact with air, allowing Dong to create fire in his hands. Furthermore, with concentration, Dong could concentrate the accellerant into a gel which he could throw or spray, turning himself into a human flamethrower. Nearly drunk on the abilities he developed, Dong renamed himself "Napalm", and quickly siezed control of the Phoenix Embers.

Normally, Dong wears the same outfits that have become a uniform for the Phoenix Embers. A leather motorcycle racing jacket, red with orange and yellow flames at the waist, and up the arms and custom sunglasses tinted red with yellow flames rising from the bottom. He keeps his hair spiked, and bleaches the tips blonde. He patrolls his turf on a red and yellow Kawasaki Ninja 600R.

Napalm is a very brutal, callous, and dangerous criminal. He really cares nothing for anyone, or even himself. He is the product of a lost generation born to the losing side of a long civil war, and has no true cultural identity. Fortunately, he also lacks any real ambition, currently he is content being the leader of the Phoenix Embers, and indulging his appetites off the money he makes from the gang.

• 11 months later...

2u 4) Fatigue: Drain 3d6: Endurance, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (45 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)

Drain does Knockback? I'm not sure that Limitation's, y'know, legal. Also, you might want to put Ranged, or at least Personal Immunity, on this.