Superhero Fiction

Mightybec

Here's the beginning of a story that I'm working on.

The large doors of the Metropolitan Museum were thrown open with enough force to tear one of them off the wall. The crumpled body of Dr Helens was thrown out the entrance, and landed on one of the many patrol cars surrounding the museum, shattering the windshield and denting the hood. From the broken opening emerged the eight foot tall form of Erik Wagner, better known as Moose. He glared at the officers taking cover behind their cars and shouted, “If yous guys don’t get us da money soon, then his wife’ll be next!†His large, muscular form turned and walked back into the museum.

“I had a clean shot at him sarge. Why didn’t you give the order to fire?!†the rookie Jones asked. “Jonesy, that guy’s skin is as tough as leather. If you shot him with your Glock, you’d just piss him off, and I guarantee that we don’t want that to happen until the ST Unit gets here.†Sarge turned his head and looked up at a familiar object flying towards them. “Maybe we won’t have to wait for the STU after allâ€, said Sarge.

The caped form of Captain Stupendous descended from the sky and landed next to Sarge and Jones. A flock of news reporters raced over to the captain, sensing a great story was about to happen. “What’s the situation here officer?†asked the Captain as he smiled for the cameras. “Slasher and Moose are in there with a bunch of hostages. Maybe as many as twenty. They’ve killed one, and if we don’t transfer 30 Million into their foreign account by noon, they’re going to kill another hostage.â€

Four rooftops away, a rifle is carefully sighted at the Captain.

Captain Stupendous smiles and sticks out this chest for the news cameras and says, “I don’t think that this’ll be too much trouble.â€

A .50 caliber round with a depleted uranium core is slowly pulled from a pouch, and loaded into the rifle.

The captain clears his throat and in his best theatrical voice proclaims, “I will bring these villains to justice and restore peace to the city!â€

The crosshairs of the sniper rifles scope are carefully placed over Captain Sutpendous’s ear. The soft click of the safety being switched of can be heard. Inhale. Exhale. Hold.

“Are you sure that there’s only two of them?â€, the Captain questions.

BOOM!

The hardened projectile zips through the air and slams into the Captain’s ear canal. He screams in pain and collapses to the ground, blood slowly flowing from the wound. The officers dive behind their cars for cover as the crowd panics.

The sound of screeching tires can be heard as an large grey van takes the street corner at a high speed. As it crashes through a police barricade, riot gas canisters are dispensed from a roof mounted launcher. The area is shortly filled with thick, noxious fumes. As the van screeches to a halt in front of the museum opening, Moose, and the knife wielding maniac called Slasher race towards the van’s open door. Once inside, the van races down the street, and is soon out of site.

Four rooftops away, an assassin quietly slips away into the shadows.

Mightybec