Fulfill condition, power comes on

Barghest

Hi folks,

I want a power to come on when a condition is fulfilled. Trigger doesn't work because it requires the power to be set up. I want the power to come on regardless of whether or not the character is conscious or otherwise able to activate it, regardless of how many times it is needed. As an example, let's look at a flight power.

10" Flight, at 0 end, persistent, only to hover, trigger (whenever falling more than 10")

doesn't quite do what I want it to. It has to be set each time it is used and that isn't what I want.

I considered the following:

10" Flight, at 0 end, persistent, only to hover, always on, only active if falling more than 10"

The issue here, as has been brought up over in the always on forcefield discussion is that always on isn't a limitation at this point (I have no problem with taking it as a -0) and some people seem to think it is an advantage (not certain I agree or disagree with this). Another issue in this case is what the power actually does. If the power fires because the character falls more than 10" what happens when the flight has arrested his fall? Now he is no longer falling and thus the power turns off. I suppose what it really means is that the character would never take more than 10" of falling damage but that's not quite what I want either.

So what do you all think? Does my second example work (with the exception of the weird interaction between the flight and falling states)? Or is there better way?

Thanks much,

Barghest

In this case, it is a fail-safe flight power. It was laid out pretty clearly in the previous message. Regardless of consciousness or otherwise being able to activate the power, flight for hovering purposes needs to come on after the character falls 10" or more and it can't be something that has to be set up ahead of time.

Just skimmed this, but it sounds like it's bought "persistent" then with a limitation that it doesn't work unless the character is falling.

It think the part that's hanging me up mentally is that the villain throws the character off a cliff, automatically the charactere rises 10"? Does he keep rising? Does he hang there (10" + the depth of the chasm) in the air?

I'm trying to remember: Does flight immediately offset terminal velocity? Or do you subtract the inches? (Character falls 30", then you turn on your 10" flight; Are you now no longer falling or are you simply falling at 20" until next round when you can slow up further?)

Maybe I'm getting too esoteric. Maybe I should delete this post. Nah...

Why can't it be something set up in advance?

I didn't think it was clear. For example: I've fallen 10" - flight kicks in... it doesn't matter if I've stopped falling or continue falling, I've already fallen 10" and have met the requirement for the power and can fly all I want now.

So you're looking at power that just stops you from falling after 10" and you just hover there until you do something else? But you want it to keep working even if KOd or if you were KOed and tossed off a bridge or whatever.

It's still just a trigger on persistant flight. Once you are "hovering" and locked into that mode... you can't ever fall again until you turn the power off (at which time, or any time after it's fired, the trigger can be reset).

What do you do if you fall out of a plane? You fall 10" and bing... you are stuck hovering there a few couple thousand feet off the ground :) If you make it totally outside of the characters control... you are there forever.

If your concept is fall 10" stop, fall 10" stop and on down, it sounds much more like "gliding, down only" with some other mechanics on there to simulate your effect.

While the rules don't specifically mention any way for a Triggered power to auto-reset, Steve has been pretty loose about it in published characters. If the GM is willing, I'd build it as Flight with 0 END, Persistent, and Triggered and leave it at that.

It is a rules area that I'd like to see addressed someday, though.